Pirates?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Bluejester
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Bluejester »

Hi folks. Long time veteran of Freelancer, EVE, etc.

Son and I just started the demo to get our "space legs" and were wondering how viable pirating could be as an occupation?

Been waiting on a Game like this for awhile. Super impressed by everything so far. Beautiful graphics, great control scheme, awesome open map layout, Ship customization, real world physics, I mean wow!! ...just wow!

Will be buying it x3 real soon.

Oh, second question. Whats the server population limit? I get that it's hardware dependent but I mean the one you guys all play on? Wondering if I need to set up my old blade server from freelancer or if there's enough room out there already?

Either way, see you all soon, Bj.
\"Diplomacy is the art of saying \'nice doggy\' until you can find a rock.\"
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

It truly is a great sim.

You could try pirating but you will find that people will fight back:D

The limit is 35 I think, but it's no problem yet.
Hope to see ya out there.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Bluejester, Welcome to the forum and hopefully the Sim. See you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pirates?

Post by Avenger »

Welcome, and yes, you can try being a pirate, we had em before. :cool:
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Bluejester
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Bluejester »

From post: 105230, Topic: tid=7468, author=SeeJay wrote:Hi and welcome.

It truly is a great sim.

You could try pirating but you will find that people will fight back:D

The limit is 35 I think, but it's no problem yet.
Hope to see ya out there.

Oh I don't ever mind a fight, lol. But I can already tell that I've alot of work to do getting my skills up for pvp. Was more curious about NPC pirating and wether its effect on rep. or standing, whatever, was extreme or manageable?

From my Freelancer days I know a very cool and vibrant population can be achieved with a 35 player limit so thats not a problem, yet.

Will definitely be buying 3 if not more licences. Hats off to the dev/devs. Again, incredible game.

Oh, son is asking about death penalty's? Whats the scoop on that?

Again, thanks guys, think I'm gonna like it here.

Bj
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by SeeJay »

There is different AI factions that your rep varies with depending on you actions.

Death penalty is you loose anything you have done since last save and respawn at last save.

Join online and lots of people will help you get up to speed in all aspects. including PvP training.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pirates?

Post by Avenger »

You can pirate the AI all you like, however keep in mind that the Navy have Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships.
The Rebels and Guild who can be seen as pirates have nothing in the range of that kind of hardware.
Even though the capital ships are (in my humble opinion) pretty tamein EM, I am used to Freespace capital ships who house several weapon systems to send you and your little puny insect of a ship into the big void many times over, the EM capital ships can still pose a threat, especially if you are in a furball with several ships at the same time.

So you can assist the Guild and Rebels all you like by accepting their contracts and shoot Navy and Energy ships.
Join the GDF!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pirates?

Post by Marvin »

AI Rebels and Guild pilots used to offer bribes if you promised not to kill them. But I haven't seen them do it in a very long time. Nonetheless, any AI you destroy is likely to drop some cargo ... the price of the cargo depends on where you plan to do your pirating. War zone capital ships usually carry the most expensive items.
Bluejester
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Bluejester »

From post: 105239, Topic: tid=7468, author=Marvin wrote:AI Rebels and Guild pilots used to offer bribes if you promised not to kill them. But I haven't seen them do it in a very long time. Nonetheless, any AI you destroy is likely to drop some cargo ... the price of the cargo depends on where you plan to do your pirating. War zone capital ships usually carry the most expensive items.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess, soloing Military Cap Ships isn't exactly easy here? Not that I mind. (Visions of wolfpack tactics for fat loot:P )

I saw a thread earlier about installs on more than one machine? I own a Pizza place and spend most of my afternoons bored out of my mind. Will I be able to have this on my new laptop and my home machine at the same time? same account etc.?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 105241, Topic: tid=7468, author=Bluejester wrote:
From post: 105239, Topic: tid=7468, author=Marvin wrote:AI Rebels and Guild pilots used to offer bribes if you promised not to kill them. But I haven't seen them do it in a very long time. Nonetheless, any AI you destroy is likely to drop some cargo ... the price of the cargo depends on where you plan to do your pirating. War zone capital ships usually carry the most expensive items.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess, soloing Military Cap Ships isn't exactly easy here? Not that I mind. (Visions of wolfpack tactics for fat loot:P )

I saw a thread earlier about installs on more than one machine? I own a Pizza place and spend most of my afternoons bored out of my mind. Will I be able to have this on my new laptop and my home machine at the same time? same account etc.?
Send a U2U or e-mail to the creator "Vice" on your last question and he can explain what you can and can't do.;)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pirates?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Actually, as long as you only run the game on one machine at a time, you can use the same key codes.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Welcome, Bluejester,

Piracy will work against your reputation, but as long as you keep moving, your reputation will reset when you leave the system, unless you bump it up or down a notch. If you have a Fair reputation, you have to be bad enough to nock it down to moderate before your actions have a longer-term effect on your rep. If your rep with the Navy is 25% and you get it down to 15%, then leave and come back, it resets (or so, that is how I understand it).

I highly recommend getting a class 5 cargo scanner. Don't waste your time on ships with no cargo or cheap cargo.

Arrrrgh!
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pirates?

Post by Avenger »

Capital ships here are not that hard to take out IF you use the right tactics, I am just saying that they can make your life a little difficult if you are in the middle of a fight with multiple foes. :)
Join the GDF!
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Pirates?

Post by Sinbad »

Hi BlueJester, welcome to Evochron!

Pirating can definitely be good fun here. A cheaper alternative to the Cargo Scanner is simply to make a trade request with your "victim". If they accept you will see exactly what they have in their cargo to offer. Then instead of trading you can simply attack them to get their loot. The drawback with this method is that they don't always accept the trade request.

As far as I know you can only pilfer loot from AI ships, not from human players. But it's an interesting thought... maybe an idea for a future addition to the game: in a PvP fight you could disable your target's engines and weapons, then use a tractor beam to extract stuff from their cargo hold!" It would certainly make PvP incidents more profitable. :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Pirates?

Post by Sinbad »

I didn't realize that... so if you get destroyed in a PvP your cargo gets left behind for anyone to pick up?? But then when you re-spawn you still have the cargo if you saved before you died?? That seems a bit strange because your cargo, in effect, has duplicated itself.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pirates?

Post by Avenger »

I think he means threaten them to make em give it to you.
Join the GDF!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pirates?

Post by DaveK »

MCCON, if you (a complex living thing) can duplicate when you respawn, why not double duplicate the cargo (often just old inanimate electronics or mineral)? :P The universe is a strange place.

Anyway, EvoTechs have the ability to create a station from scratch and beam it to you anywhere in the universe in two minutes - sheesh, I love Science & Technology! :P :P

If only we can adapt it to ship drive systems - anywhere to anywhere else in two minutes! Or beam a bomb into an enemy vessel I know, it would kill the game deader than your bombed enemy in two minutes :P :P :P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Bluejester, welcome to the game and forum. I see most of your questions have been answered by my fellow Evochron Pillots.....Hope to see you out there some time......;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pirates?

Post by Galaxian »

Welcome to Evochron.

Lots of great fun to be had out there, including 'piracy' if you are so inclined. It'd be a tough way to make a living being a self-employed pirate operating against the human players in EM. Though I believe 'Gentleman Pirates' using some honorable ROE would certainly be welcome and add another interesting player faction to MP.

Hope to see you out there
- Galaxy Defense Industries -

Find out more --> Galaxy Defense Industries

*If the enemy is in weapons range, so are you.*
Brycesv1
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Brycesv1 »

define ur "gentlemens pirate"?

Like honoring bounties and promises?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Pirates?

Post by SeeJay »

I think it's more like "Hey, you wanna have a PvP" Pilot?;)

If you attack unprovoked and without a "gentlemans approach" you will be engaged hard, LOL!

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Brycesv1
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Brycesv1 »

idk. i always believed that a potential pirates target should have the chance to reliably pay ransom in exchange for its safety... if thats not true pirating, i dont know what is
Brycesv1
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Brycesv1 »

hey im not a pirate YET. if im KOS now, ur no better than me :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Pirates?

Post by Marvin »

Image Depends on the meaning of the word "better."
Brycesv1
Ensign
Ensign

Pirates?

Post by Brycesv1 »

lol i spose thats true lol