Multiplayer connection issue EM *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Kraz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kraz »

Hello folks,

I've looked around here and through the forums (and manual) but I haven't seen this error message addressed:

"The game was unable to access your connection. Your connection may be blocked and or unavailable..."

I've gone so far as to disable local firewalls and made sure correct ports are forwarded. This message comes up when I try to run the dedicated server program - when I hit "connect".

It also comes up when I try to host from the game itself. I'm obviously on the internet :P I can get a server list when I query from the multiplayer menu, though the server that comes up is always saying it's full.

Also, do I understand correctly that I can't play from the same computer that I'm hosting a dedicated server from? Thought I saw that here somewhere but it doesn't sound right to me.

So does anyone know what the likely cause of this error is? Where should I start looking? I don't believe this is a hardware issue as I have no problems running the game itself. I am connected through a hard line to a netgear router/modem.

Many thanks.

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by Vice]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Kraz, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. As an added note, I had trouble connecting for quite a while do to my routers built in fire wall being on without me knowing it. Once I disabled that I was able to connect every time. That may not be your trouble though. Hope to see you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Are you using Hamachi or any other network devices unrelated to your internet connection?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Kraz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kraz »

Thanks everyone :) Like many new pilots I played the demo and was hooked when the time limit expired. Fantastic space sim, as far as I'm concerned it hits on everything this genre should be.

That's interesting Eclipse, I didn't think to try connecting via the loopback address :) When I open the dedicated server program is it already running the game? That is, can people connect to it at that point or do I need to hit "connect" before it will accept connections?

Vice,

No i'm not using Hamachi or any other VPN software. The only active network connection is the RJ45 network connection going to the router/modem.

thetiebers,

I'll fuss with the router when I get a chance but I don't believe there is a software firewall. It supports IPSEC passthrough, though I have forwarded ports 3888 and 3889 TCP/UDP respectively.

Really I'm just curious about what the message is actually saying. Is it stating that it can't reach the internet? Or is it unable to utilize the network connection on my desktop?

Thanks for all the help. As long as there's a great community behind a game it will thrive.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The error message is likely indicating it can't access your connection at all. This could be a result of either the network device itself being inaccessible to the game or the ports being closed/blocked.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Kraz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kraz »

Thanks Vice, I'll focus on the router/network connection.

Well I'm totally at a loss. I keep encountering this message whenever I try to host a game. Surely someone else has seen this problem?

[Edited on 2-26-2011 by Kraz]