recovering container from planet

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
BlueBoyX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BlueBoyX »

So i just got the Demo, and heck, i WILL buy this game, don't worry.
But i have a problem, one of the things that i most want to do in this game is descend into a planet...but...my ship turns into ash when i try to do that.
Also, i have no idea of what i'm supposed to do in this game, i tried to play the tutorial but i got stuck in a part somehow...
So i just click Launch and i feel like a lost little boy floating in Space... :P
But anyways, how do i descend into a planet without making my ship go boomy?
Oh by the way, I love you StarWraith for making such an excellent game of such an dead genre...
<3
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Welcome. Hope to see ya out there.

You can't jump to a planet. You need to fly in to the atmosphere. Slow.
The speed depends on you ship config. Boost energy to shields.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello BlueBoyX, as SeeJay says go slow with IDS on But you can also turn your IDS off, then turn your Engine off and coast to the Planets surface without crashing. You still need to keep your speed at about 900 to 1200 depending on your frame and Shield strength. If you hire a good Navigator they will stop you from jumping into a planet by mistake. Welcome to the forum and hopefully the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
BlueBoyX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BlueBoyX »

Alright, Thanks!
Siege
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Siege »

I have to admit I just set my speed to about 1000 and angle in towards the station, watch out on some planets as they have wind and that can toss you about a fair bit. Rain is somewhat distracting as well so watch for that. Don't go too fast and you'll be fine, practice on Sapphire since it's nice and close to a station and has no real hostiles in the area when you start out. Planet's look brilliant even on my low end pc :D
[align=center]Lucifael.com[/align]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi BlueBoyX, welcome to the game and forum. See you out there once you get the game....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
mrmillion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mrmillion »

I found the hidden IMG containers on the planet but can't seem to get slow and low enough to salvage without crashing. How do I get the contents with the tractor beam? Thx

[Edited on 8-9-2011 by mrmillion]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Welcome, Blueboyx.

To answer one of your questions, you aren't *supposed* to do anything. The question is not "who will let me," (or even, "who will make me") but "who will stop me."

The initial IMG quests are not mandatory. They are there mainly as a tutorial, to show you how to complete contracts, navigate, and so on. They are completely optional (as is everything else in the game). I recommend following the quest line, though, because it does give you some good experiences and reveals some interesting places and opportunities. What you do with that knowledge is entirely up to you ;)

mrmillion, to use the mining beam on a planet, you approach the target from above, pointing down. Close the distance. When you are right on top of it, cut your engines. Do not worry about crashing: your ship will hover just over the planet surface and the mining beam will point downward even as your ship levels out. You can verify by using an external camera view.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Hi there Blueboyx, welcome to the forums mate.

I'm new myself, just joined a couple of days ago. Myself, I have chosen to follow the IMG quest, and although I am only about halfway through, it has already proven very helpful for me in terms of contracts, locations and most importantly, combat techniques. I suggest you do follow it. When you don't feel like doing any contracts, do as I do and dock on a base and engage some random ships flying around in your area. It's a great way to safely practice your combat skills. Just remember, DO NOT save the game when you're done or you will find yourself with a screwed up rep next time you log in. And don't be disappointed when you get blown to bits a lot in the beginning, I have learned the hard way (and still am) that it takes a LOT of practice to become efficient in combat.
By the way, here's a link to a guide someone else gave me just the other day, and I'll pass it along to you. >> Here's the link << I hope it will be as helpful for you as it has been for me. Little note though, it contains information that may spoil some surprises for you in game. So it's up to you whether you read it.

I haven't joined the server yet, but I soon will. Hope to see you there, maybe we can tag along and help each other out a bit.

Clear skies! :cool:
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
boolybooly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by boolybooly »

Hi I am a noob too, I died on my first trip to a planet. Today was my first day with Evochron Mercenary. I found out the following about how to do a planet landing, first jump not too close to planet (about 1.5 way marker widths), to a point above the green box in the Nav Map (not sure if you can jump through planets but if you come out of a jump in atmosphere you crash). Then go towards the planet at under 1200 speed.

Wait till you get the message that avionics are switching and then keep an eye on the altitude! (Top right of central HUD.) Look for the red rectangles, they will tell you the rough direction of the starport, sometimes through the planet, head that way but not through the planet and dont worry about the rectangles too much until you see the city and the rectangles turn green, then approach avoiding buildings keeping your speed up above about 250 ish until the tractor gets you and you are done, switch off engine!

Nice game, I bought it already.
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by XB7 »

From post: 112173, Topic: tid=7243, author=mrmillion wrote:I found the hidden IMG containers on the planet but can't seem to get slow and low enough to salvage without crashing. How do I get the contents with the tractor beam? Thx
If the containers are actually a wreckage, it might take a while sifting through it to land your beam in the general area where the cargo bay was. It might take quite a few sweeps to recognize it.

If it is actually a container, you might try landing your ship on it. As soon as your altitude is less than 4000 or so, your tractor beam points directly downward via the center axis of your ship.

Pending how calm the weather is, if your shields are charged and you cut your power around 5000 alt, you'll land strait down on your target.

[Edited on 8-9-2011 by XB7]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Boolybooly, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
boolybooly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by boolybooly »

Thanks Maarschalk, I will surely drop by in MP when I have gained a little confidence with SP. I am enjoying the exploration and learning at the moment. It takes me back to the good old days with Elite! Which is what I have been looking for.

It is fairly intuitive and the training videos in the web page linked below helped. The narrator sounds like Bill Mumy, the guy who played Lennier in Babylon5.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... iverse.htm

[Edited on 8-10-2011 by boolybooly]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 101729, Topic: tid=7243, author=thetiebers wrote:If you hire a good Navigator they will stop you from jumping into a planet by mistake.
Hi BlueBoyX and welcome

thetiebiers - where can you hire "good" crew? I can only find the usual lot that need paying for a long time whilst they get "on the job" experience with me :P:P:P:P:P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Welcome boolybooly.

DaveK.
Just hire a crew with the highest loyalty you can find.
Then go to a warzone and do contracts from a Carrier, the crew can't leave there.
When they are at 100% loyalty, they might leave if you fail contracts from now on, but not
if you just dock and fly around. Skill will raise if you keep doing "easy" contracts anywhere.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Thanks! :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by XB7 »

From post: 112316, Topic: tid=7243, author=SeeJay wrote:Welcome boolybooly.

DaveK.
Just hire a crew with the highest loyalty you can find.
Then go to a warzone and do contracts from a Carrier, the crew can't leave there.
When they are at 100% loyalty, they might leave if you fail contracts from now on, but not
if you just dock and fly around. Skill will raise if you keep doing "easy" contracts anywhere.
LOL,

slave... compulsory service... military contracts...
Not sure that's the message we want to send to people. :P

Your advice sounds starkly familiar to something Sun Tzu mentioned. It's a very deep thought. Thanks SeeJay!

[Edited on 8-11-2011 by XB7]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

You know, I never thought about it, but Seejay is right. They can't leave from a carrier. I will remember that if I ever need to start a new crew.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"