In-Game Controls all out of Whack - Lenovo Laptop *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

(EL 1.288)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2
Windows Vista 64bit
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 105M 7.15.11.7960

I have just recently download both EM and EL demos to give them a go, and am speaking of my trouble in EL here, with much the same in EM. In the first training stage, all of the in game controls are either non-functioning or (I think) miss-assigned. The mouse wheel will control velocity, but none of the other keys work properly. As well, if I attempt to manually assign them, when I click on a comand to assign, it fills the slot with a number, 0-9 starting with 1 counting up each time I click.... This really has me confused, and any help is greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 2-9-2011 by Vice]
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

Sadly, no, its an American English keyboard, I'm using a Lenovo G550 laptop =/. Thanks for the thought though!
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

That is the part that makes my head spin:

When I head to the "configure controls" option, every time I click on a command to assing, and set it to the key I desire, it sets it as a number 0-10, no matter if I have selected a letter, punctuation or even another number. I just checked that both my keyboard and mouse drivers are up to date, and they are, and both EM and EL have full access in my Norton now.

EDIT: Also, when I hit the same key twice or more in a row, it seems to be re-assigning itself, taking my velocity up incrementally.

I am about to head out to 8 hrs of rehearsal for today, so please forgive me if my replies to proposed fixes are tardy!

Thank you again for your patience.

Cheers,
Talbot

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by Talbot]

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by Talbot]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Doesn't sound like normal game functionality at all. Even if a key or button is held down when the bind option is clicked, the game ignored those inputs and waits for an input change. So it's almost like something is incorrectly tapping those numerical keys repeatedly.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

stupid suggestion, but do you have the game set for joystick or keyboard?
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

Vice,

Thank you for looking in on my thread! That does make sense then, if that is how the input is taken, but I still don't understand why it is cycling through 0-9 one at a time each click, haha. If it is relevant, I have a number pad on my laptop keyboard, and this has happened with num-lock on and off, and I have restarted my computer since the installation. I am yet to try it with my touch-pad dissabled though.

MMaggio,

No suggestion is stupid to me, haha. And I have tried playing with Keyboard, Joystick, and Mouse each in turn and have had the same problem (I am in fact playing with a mouse and a keyboard).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That's one of the strangest problems I've heard of. Not even sure what the cause might be as neither the game nor keyboards are designed to function in that way. Did you download the game directly from my site? If not, try uninstalling the build you have now, delete the save data folder (default c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary), then reinstall the game using the installer from my website, then launch and test again. If the problem persists, I'm not sure what the cause could be. I would be interested in seeing an msinfo report on the system though, just for reference: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

Hello again Vice,

I did indeed download and install from your site, which brings my outlook down on solvability here, haha. But! I am compressing the msinfo as I type, and will mail that off to you! At the least, we will have put a system to this problem for you records, haha. I'll delete, restart, reinstall and restart and see if I'm still getting the trouble. If I am doomed to be exiled from this lovely game (a fate that saddens me, though I understand) thank you for the experiance!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Could you explain how you go about assigning keys ... step by step? 'Cause it sounds like something is missing.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

This is apparently a problem with Lenovo laptops and it started to surface back around September-October of last year. The problem can occur in a variety of games. The problem is apparently associated with a program called GuardedID that comes preinstalled on their systems. Here is the solution offered on their site:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-an ... a-p/301034
StarWraith 3D Games
Talbot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Talbot »

First, a general note:

I went through the uninstall-reinstall gambit I mentioned above, and still no go.

Also, something I have noticed: the arrow keys are always functioning correctly. When the other keys are misbehaving, they are always acting on my velocity only, increasing it as I imagine the keys 0-9 are intended to do, each press increasing my velocity by a set amount.

Marvin:

I have been working mostly in EL for this thread, but have only re-downloaded EM for this testing. My process is as follows:
  1. Enter the game.
    Enter the training scenario (problem persists when I select "launch" as well)
    See if the bug is still apparent
    Hit F9 to bring up menu
    Select "Configure Controls"
    Click on the bottom most button, whose exact title is eluding me.
    Click on Roll Right
    It sets the current bind to a "1"
    If I attempt to manually reassert the original bind, it becomes a "2"
    I can always click the "restore defaults" and have another go at it, that is never a problem.
    [/list=1]

I really hope I'm just doing something wrong, becaues I have a thesis to write, and this game might just keep me sane, haha.

Thank you all again for your help!

-Talbot
    Talbot
    Ensign
    Ensign

Post by Talbot »

Ahhh! AHAHAH! YES! Thank you! Via email, the problem has apparently already been solved!

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... #pid101656

"And on the eighth day, the Lord created Vice and the Evochron tech team and said "Lo, they shall have the solutions for all things technical, for so sayeth the Lord." Book of Awesome 3:14

Thank you guys, SO much. SOOO much!
    Marvin
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Glad to hear it. Vice must have a notebook full of troubleshooting links 'cause he sure does solve a lot of problems.