Evocron Crash at start up (win7 64bit)

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
GORF
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by GORF »

From post: 100545, Topic: tid=7168, author=Vice wrote: Did they remove/disable the web shield in 5.1.889? I wasn't aware that they had changed that at all. That would be a pretty big negative change.

looks like I misread , no sandbox for free version , whatever that is . Sorry

win7 still running well with the ms av .:D
StarWolves Clan, HellFire Squadron

An Exodus Storm is On its Way
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The new AVG 2011 seems to be scoring pretty well and seems to have fixed some of its false positive and game interference problems. I haven't yet tested it, but if Avast doesn't get its act together soon, I may try switching over to it for a while and run some tests. It would be odd to have to start recommending some other A/V program after Avast had been stable and dependable for so long. But I guess they've decided to make some changes that will harm functionality. I'll wait for the next update to see if they can/will fix its problems.

By MS AV, are you referring to Microsoft Security Essentials?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
GORF
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by GORF »

yes , i saw it didnt rank highest in reviews, but it seems to play well with evertthing installed so far.;)

49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

I am trying the free version of PCTools as of today. Not sure if it is any good but not happy with avast at this point.:):(
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I switched over to avg myself and glad to report it works well so far with winxp pro x64
Muttley
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Muttley »

Same here. I have a dual boot Win7 (32bit) Home premium and Win XP (32bit) SP3 Home edition.

Installed AVG 2011 last night and all my apps work out fine on both operating systems.

AVG 2011 is a 30 day free trial so as far as I'm concerned Avast has 30 days to sort itself out or it gets abandoned for good.

hehehehe hehehehe
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Eclipse, let us know what the new Version is.:o
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Cool, so you're able to play the game fully now with 5.1.889? Did you use their uninstaller to remove it first?
StarWraith 3D Games
tarash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tarash »

Hi guys,

Even though I had already the latest version of Avast installed I uninstalled it anyway and installed the version from their website.

Afterwards I followed the link in Eclipes' post to do the update but that didn't work either.

I also closed all programs in the background but to no avail.

Trying to test the demo on Win7 64-bit, system can handle it without a problem and got all the latest drivers installed.
System is also working very stable, is defragged and got no problem whatsover with other games.

Thx in advance for any other remaining tips.

[Edited on 22-1-2011 by tarash]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello tarash, Welcome to the forum and hopefully the Sim. See you out there sometime.:)
GORF
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by GORF »

Welcome Tarash,

I had to add EM to program exception list in win7 security pan.

also make sure you are trying to run game as admin, or at least an account that is permited.

GORF

tarash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tarash »

Hi guys and thx for the welcome :)

Uninstalling Avast helped but I can't do without an antivirus program and I like to continue using Avast so I'll try now to add it to the exception list or whatever is necessary.
tarash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tarash »

From post: 100597, Topic: tid=7168, author=Eclipse wrote:Go into settings and add the main game directory to the exclusion list, see if that works for you.

Later tonight I will test this issue on the missus' computer.
I run a modified 32bit kernel for win7, her computer is 64bit and may show a difference.

[Edited on 1-22-2011 by Eclipse]
I added it to the exlucsion list and it didn't make a difference.

The default install of the demo is directly on the C drive so I thought to myself, why not try to install it to C:/Program Files(x86), who knows...
I click on the shortcut to launch the game and it works.
I quit the game, click on the shortcut again and the same problem occurs and no matter how many times I try it, nothing.
This is really weird.

[Edited on 22-1-2011 by tarash]
acra
Ensign
Ensign

Post by acra »

I have a similar problem to the OP (Mercenary not working, but Legends does) with, I think, different reasons.

Upon attempting to load the game, I get a small error box appear saying

EvochronMercenary.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.
I've attempted a driver update, and all the usual suspect things - even tried downloading from other mirrors on the official downloads page, but to no avail.

My system is as follows:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Intel Pentium 4, 3.00GHz (Hyper-threaded)
3072MB RAM (DDR type, spread over 4 motherboard slots as two 1GB and two 512MB)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (512MB)
Direct X 11

I've tried running the game through a compatibility, but no joy.
I've not had any issues with other games of similar specs, and as mentioned I haven't had problems running previous Star Wraith games...

I'm still trying to run the game in demo, I've never played Mercenary before, but would like to try it (and hopefully buy!)!

Any help would be appreciated - I'm not really sure where to start with my troubleshooting.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The problem is likely that you updated Avast for a 'program update' and the new build, version 5.1.889, is causing all kinds of programs and system functions to fail (sometimes even preventing Avast itself from working). You will need to uninstall Avast 5.1.889 and install 5.0.677 as that is the last build that was working without so many reported problems. For more details, visit this thread:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7168

And be sure to report all such functionality problems on your system to the Avast team on their forum here or through their support channels:

http://forum.avast.com/http://www.starw ... .php?f=2.0

Avast is currently in a broken state with its latest update for many users. Make sure to uncheck the program update option in the Settings after you install the 5.0.677 build.

There is no word yet on when Avast will be fixed, but as you can see in their forum, the latest update is causing everything from programs failing to launch to complete system failures (sometimes not immediately either, but after a few system reboots).

[Edited on 1-22-2011 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
tarash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tarash »

Thank you very much Vice, I'll do a rollback to that previous build then :)
acra
Ensign
Ensign

Post by acra »

I just realised this morning that my post had somehow ended up replying to the wrong thread, but to my joy found this answer actually cured things!

From post: 100633, Topic: tid=7189, author=Vice wrote: The problem is likely that you updated Avast for a 'program update' and the new build, version 5.1.889, is causing all kinds of programs and system functions to fail (sometimes even preventing Avast itself from working). You will need to uninstall Avast 5.1.889 and install 5.0.677 as that is the last build that was working without so many reported problems. For more details, visit this thread:

And be sure to report all such functionality problems on your system to the Avast team on their forum here or through their support channels:

Avast is currently in a broken state with its latest update for many users. Make sure to uncheck the program update option in the Settings after you install the 5.0.677 build.

There is no word yet on when Avast will be fixed, but as you can see in their forum, the latest update is causing everything from programs failing to launch to complete system failures (sometimes not immediately either, but after a few system reboots).

[Edited on 1-22-2011 by Vice]
Thanks Vice, this solves my problem, and no doubt any Avast user's problems too!
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 100554, Topic: tid=7189, author=thetiebers wrote:I am trying the free version of PCTools as of today. Not sure if it is any good but not happy with avast at this point.:):(
As an update "I do NOT recommend PCTools anti-virus" It somehow messed with my computer even will I was trying to get rid of it!

I have reverted to Avast 5.0.545 as I still had a copy of it saved. I await further word from you all as to when Avast gets it together.:(:)
ChaosShadow00x
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChaosShadow00x »

I receive this exact message:

EvochronMercenary.exe - Application error

The applications was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

I'm running a Quosmio x505 series laptop, with windows 7 64bit system, running an i7 processor and nvidia 360m series, 4 gigs ram. I can post a copy of my dx diag if you'd like but otherwise i'll save the space.

Tried turning off avast to no avail and running compatability mode to no avail. Any idea's?

thanks in advance.
ChaosShadow00x
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChaosShadow00x »

Hmm... Well i wouldnt have an issue with that except for i actually paid for the program, i own the full version of avast... Theres no way to fix it? Work arounds, anything?
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Contact Avast and raise hell! Then just wait for them to fix the problem.
Either that, or delete it.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

From the other thread (which this will be moved to):

The problem is likely that you updated Avast for a 'program update' and the new build, version 5.1.889, is causing all kinds of programs and system functions to fail (sometimes even preventing Avast itself from working). You will need to uninstall Avast 5.1.889 and install 5.0.677 as that is the last build that was working without so many reported problems. For more details, visit this thread:

StarWraith 3D Games
ChaosShadow00x
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChaosShadow00x »

Thought my topic was deleted, then i found this lol... sorry for that... anyway...

Can you point to the 5.0.677 version of avast by chance? I can only seem to find the most up to date versions even while googling for 5.0.677
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 100872, Topic: tid=7198, author=ChaosShadow00x wrote:Thought my topic was deleted, then i found this lol... sorry for that... anyway...

Can you point to the 5.0.677 version of avast by chance? I can only seem to find the most up to date versions even while googling for 5.0.677
Hi Chaos, I sent you an e-mail with version 5.0.545 as thats the one I run on my XP and Win7 laptops right now. Use it if you can't get the newer old one.:)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

FileHippo offers the installers for Avast here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Just choose the one you want on the right side of the page.

If you would prefer to use a different antivirus program, this website offers independent reviews:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews

Microsoft Security Essentials ( http://www.microsoft.com/security_essen ... fault.aspx ) scores pretty high marks for high performance, low false positives, high detection rates, and high removal rates. There also seems to be few interference issues with games and other applications. If the next Avast update has compatibility/functionality issues, I will likely remove it from the recommended list and start recommending something else like MSE.

[Edited on 1-26-2011 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games