Massive jump in RAM

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Bogusheadbox
Ensign
Ensign

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Bogusheadbox »

Just noticed in the current build that the memory usage of my computer will suddenly rise bringing my computer to a crawl.

The game plays very well normally and i don't recall this problem with the previous build.

It happened about 3 times today in space as well as in planetary descent.

The strange thing is, when i do finally manage to close down the game (FPS is about one frame per 5-10 seconds) and bring up task manager, I am still showing a hefty memory usage of up to and around 1.7 gig. I have checked that the application has closed and there is no processes running but task manager still says the hefty mem usage and i have to restart the computer.

As well I have noticed in task manager that when this happens the process for evochron maxes out my cpu.

I have not noticed this in any other application.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or something related just to my computer.

Any advice welcomed.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Vice »

Doesn't sound like something related to the game, especially if you close out the task and the memory use/resource load is still high. Almost sounds like something else deciding to update in the background, like anti-virus. Also, if the game slows down to a crawl like that, it's likely something else is taking away resources from it. I would check the other programs you have running in the background and check the task percentages to see which one may be 'activating' at a certain point.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Maarschalk »

Make sure before you start the game you turn off all the background startup processes running under the Sartup tab of msconfig......;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by 49rTbird »

Myself and one other player have noticed a big slow down and drop in FPS at times but when reloading the Sim it went away. Could be our computers also.:o
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by MMaggio »

Vice or someone else may have offer other suggestions, but that sounds like you have another program running in the background. that's something you will have to find.
Either that or you may have a problem w/your video card, such as overheating/loss of memory.
First thing I would suggest is making sure the PC & card is clean of dust and fan is working properly. Then I would try cutting back on the displays.
If none of that fixes the problem then I would send my msinfo file to Vice.
Good Luck
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Bogusheadbox
Ensign
Ensign

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Bogusheadbox »

Thanks for the replies.

My computer is not modern, but it runs mercenary well on all the highest settings.

I have no other program running in the background apart from

1. Windows
2. Saitek profiler
3. TrackIR
4. Application (Mercenary)
5. Asus AI booster (auto utility for overclocking - will over clock if comp needs it) Maybe its this that may be causing it? - but no recent issues in simulator (DCS Black shark)

Its a relatively new install of windows. No antivirus running as well. Used only for games and sims no online browsing.

I run DCS Black shark for extended periods and runs fine. Unless some hardware is starting to crapp out of course.

As for processes in the background, i have checked on taskmanager. When the problem presents itself and i have closed game to the "load pilot menu screen", i can see that mercenary is taking 99% of my CPU and mem usage is very very high. After closing down and ensuring the process is no longer in task manager (with no other process using large amounts of ram or CPU cycles) the performance graph is still showing very high ram usage but CPU cycles return to norm.

Temp isn't an issue as i have been monitoring temps and all have been very low. Machine is in garage and i have to dress up like an eskimo to use it. Gotta love winter.

Apart from these checks, i am afraid my computer knowledge is generally limited.

Could I have a corrupt install / hardware starting to fail / spider running around inside my case?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Vice »

Something like that could potentially happen if your system runs out of RAM and/or utilizes the page file and your hard drive is fairly lean. Watch for the hard drive activity light and if it is staying on when the problem starts, that could be a possibility. I'd be interested in reviewing your configuration if you complete the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

Edit: Another possibility that came to mind is that the game is getting bogged down after a system sleep/hibernate process. That is, if you go AFK for a while and just leave it sitting there, your system may go into a 'park' mode of some kind after a while and recovering from that can result in really low performance for a while, something you'd likely have to exit the game entirely from and then relaunch it. It might also disconnect you if you're in multiplayer.

[Edited on 1-12-2011 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Marvin »

:o Auto-update bites me in the butt every tiime so I make sure nothing (not even Windows) is set for auto-update.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Maarschalk »

Windows has auto update, Track IR has auto update, Saitek profiler has auto update, Mercenary has in game auto update, Asus AI Booster has auto update, I'm not sure on DCS Blackshark thou! LOL...;):P

I used to use AI booster in Windows XP 32bit for monitoring and it does use some resources. I have my system Manually overclocked so I can turn of AI booster utility while playing games....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by MMaggio »

Well, the "eskimo" part eliminates the temp problem! Maybe it's too cold and the machine is just sluggish from the cold. A hot cup of coffee might help! LOL :P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Maarschalk »

Also make sure you do not have electrical wire chewing critters in your garage, specialy in winter where some like to hybernate in warmplaces....LOL....:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Bogusheadbox
Ensign
Ensign

Massive jump in RAM

Post by Bogusheadbox »

Sorry its taken a couple of days - been busy with family

Email sent with explanation.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at it for me.

If what i have sent you says that my computer is about to blow up - then i think on this occasion, ignorance is bliss ;-)