x52 pro axis binding problem

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

I have had this problem for a while now. When I am configuring my x52 pro with Evochron Mercenary it will not pick up the input of rotary dial one (the one on the top around the 'e' button). All other axis input is picked up except that one.

In the controller test screen in the control panel and in other games it is working so there is nothing wrong with the joystick. I have tried reinstalling both the saitek drivers as well as EM but it still won't pick them up.

I can't see anything that would interfere with it, the only other controller I use is freetrack and i've tested it without this or any other programs running in the background. The strangest thing is that it has actually worked on a couple of occasions but if I go out and restart the game it will stop.

Any ideas?

I am using Windows XP SP3

I have also tested it with Evochron Legends and it isn't working with it either.

I think I remember reading about an Evochron controller test program once but after a lot of searching I cannot find it?
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Yeah, I have it plugged into the back, the x52pro can have problems with power otherwise. I've tried plugging it in different ports and reinstalling the drivers after but it still won't pick it up. It was working when I first played yesterday but after a break when I restarted it, it wasn't working again. The only other time I noticed all axis working was way back when EM was released.

edit: Have also just checked and all six ports on the back are USB 2.0.

[Edited on 8-1-2011 by soulsacrifice]
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 99421, Topic: tid=7122, author=soulsacrifice wrote:I have had this problem for a while now. When I am configuring my x52 pro with Evochron Mercenary it will not pick up the input of rotary dial one (the one on the top around the 'e' button). All other axis input is picked up except that one.
The same think happens to me with that very same rotary, but I have the X52 non Pro.

For me it happens when another controller is being used.
I sometimes plug in a PS3 controller to use with Racing games.
And for some reason it takes over that axis.
Still works in control panel, but not in game.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

From post: 99426, Topic: tid=7122, author=MiaZ wrote:
From post: 99421, Topic: tid=7122, author=soulsacrifice wrote:I have had this problem for a while now. When I am configuring my x52 pro with Evochron Mercenary it will not pick up the input of rotary dial one (the one on the top around the 'e' button). All other axis input is picked up except that one.
The same think happens to me with that very same rotary, but I have the X52 non Pro.

Hmm, I do use the wireless xbox 360 controller and reciever from time to time but neither are plugged in when I play EM. I'll try uninstalling those drivers completely and see if that helps.
From post: 99427, Topic: tid=7122, author=Eclipse wrote:Like I said, try using an external powered hub.
I've had few problems with my x52, except with the rotaries which have gotten slightly twitchy from heavy use over the last couple years (cured by adding a minimal deadzone in the center). If the game doesn't pick up the movement when the control panel shows it, your problem is likely in directx' input programming. Try updating directx and see if it helps.
I have tried using a USB hub before (to allow me to play from further away because the USB lead is very short) but for some reason it gave me problems with power (LEDs not lighting up/blinking or going off.

The input is being picked up by the control panel and i've tested it with other games, it seems to be specific to Evochron.

Thanks for the replies.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

From post: 99426, Topic: tid=7122, author=MiaZ wrote:The same think happens to me with that very same rotary, but I have the X52 non Pro.

Well you were right, looks like another controller was causing the issue but it wasn't the 360 one. It was the Nintendo Wii remote I use as a camera for freetrack - even though I am using it as a camera and not a controller it still shows up on the controller list unless you delete the conection completely.

Thanks for the help.

Problem I have now is that I can't use freetrack now if I want to use the rotary dial. I don't suppose anyone knows why that dial gets interfered with, or a way to stop it without deleting the Wiimote? - i'm quite use to using freetrack.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Have tried that but didn't expect it to work. Evochron only seems to accept freetrack input when you start up freetrack first. It's weird because there aren't really drivers for the Wii remote, it's simply connected via bluetooth and though it does list as a controller there are no inputs unless you use third party software.

I don't suppose there is a way to block controllers in EM? I know it's designed to be able to accomodate multiple controllers but there must be a way to limit them also?

Again, thanks for all the replies so far and any other responses.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I have to agree with an earlier post. The X52 does draw a lot of power even at idle and some controls can suddenly seam sluggish. Could be bad/loose connection at USB port or a "powered" usb hub can help, especially when used with a USB extension.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Definately not a power issue as there are no issues in other games (and the LEDs are the first thing to go when there is a power issue). For some reason there is a conflict with controllers in Evochron and the only way to have it working is to delete the bluetooth connection to the Wiimote. Since Miaz has the same problem i'm guessing that it has something to do with how EM reads controller input.

Is there anyone out there who uses an x52 with all axis working along with an additional controller? Hope there is because then I might be able to figure out how to prevent it interferring and allow me to use all axis while continuing to use freetrack as well.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I beg to differ with you, Soulsacrifice. I personally have used the X52 and have seen the lights remain strong & bright while the controls where sluggish to not responding at all.
Now this may not be the case with your problem, but I assure you the lights can stay bright even when the controls don't work
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Well I figured out a work-around that allows me to have both full axis control and still allow me to use freetrack. I am using glovepie to take axis input from the rotary dial that isn't working, and then map it to a virtual axis. It's not ideal but at least it works.

[Edited on 11-1-2011 by soulsacrifice]