Upgrading

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Alpha One
Ensign
Ensign

Upgrading

Post by Alpha One »

Hello,

I recently stumbled upon this website and I was really hooked by what I read about Evochron Mercenary. I've always been interested in Space Sim games and this community seems like a good one.

I was hoping to get suggestions on a graphics card that would run EM. I currently don't have one. I don't really game much anymore so I don't need anything top of the line. No Crysis or anything like that for me. I'm in grad school so I'm on a budget. I would just like a card that would run EM without any problems at high settings.

Later on, once I graduate, I'll completely upgrade my computer but for the time being EM is my top priority. ATI or Nvidia, it doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done. Thanks in advance.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Upgrading

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Alpha One, welcome to the forum and hopefully the game.

Depends on your computer AGP slot, PCI, PCI Express, Crossfire or SLI?...what can your computer handle?;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Alpha One
Ensign
Ensign

Upgrading

Post by Alpha One »

My computer is fairly low tech.

Dell Inspiron 531
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 2.80 ghz
3 gb of ram
pci-e

I sold my gaming computer a couple years ago in place of textbooks. This one meets my current modest computing needs. Since I stopped gaming, I never bothered to buy a graphics card for it. But then I came across EM and I have to give it a try. :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Upgrading

Post by Maarschalk »

Mmmmm, that is going to be a tough call trying to run at Highest settings on a budget graphics card. I just got an ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB new for under 90 bucks and can run everything on highest settings but will get low frame rates occasionaly and my system is self build with an Intel dual Core D930 overclocked to 3.6Ghz, PCI Express x16 slot, 6GB DDR2 RAM. Dual Booting Windows XP Pro 32 bit and Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I get even better performance of this card in Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Had an ATI Saphire Radeon X1300 512MB before but could not get the graphics of planet detail to work on high settings in Windows XP Pro 32bit with even 4 GB of memmory installed. But could get the X1300 running all settings high under Windows 7 Pro 64bit but with poor frame rates. The X1900XTX is the top of the line in the Radeon X1xxx serries. Never tried other cards then ATI. So others will have to give you an Idea about other cards....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Alpha One
Ensign
Ensign

Upgrading

Post by Alpha One »

I would like to keep it to around 150 dollars. Less is better but I can go up that high. I took a peek around and found that I can get a radeon 5770 or an Nvidia GTS 450 for that price. However, I'm not sure whether that is too much or too little card for running the game smoothly. I could always play at lower settings, this is true. But one of the draws in Space sims for me has been the spectacular views and immersive feeling I get.