Freetrack crashing Mercenary

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
terrorbyt3
Ensign
Ensign

Post by terrorbyt3 »

I've been trying to use Freetrack to get 3d head tracking in Mercenary, but when I click on the 3D Head Tracking option in the options menu, Mercenary crashes to desktop.

Freetrack runs fine, and I've tried every permutation of option in the Freetrack software, but Mercenary always crashes when I click on the option in the menu.

Anyone have any ideas?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Originally posted by Eclipse
Make sure freetrack is running before starting the game.
Does it work with a laptop built in webcam?:o
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by terrorbyt3
I've been trying to use Freetrack to get 3d head tracking in Mercenary, but when I click on the 3D Head Tracking option in the options menu, Mercenary crashes to desktop.

Freetrack runs fine, and I've tried every permutation of option in the Freetrack software, but Mercenary always crashes when I click on the option in the menu.

Anyone have any ideas?
Try putting Planet detail to low first and then try to turn on TrackIR. Crash to Desktop without errors is ussually a shortage of available resources. Also try playing with the camera's tracking resulotions settings...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
terrorbyt3
Ensign
Ensign

Post by terrorbyt3 »

Originally posted by Eclipse
Make sure freetrack is running before starting the game.
I realize it's a common mistake, but Freetrack is definitely running before I start Merc. I start up Freetrack, start the camera, I get the little skull that represents where I'm looking, then I start up Merc. I load my pilot, go to options, and click the option for 3D head tracking, the game freezes, then a few seconds later I get a message box telling me that the game has stopped working. The details in the box are this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EvochronMercenary.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4b7840d9
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
Exception Code: 0eedfade
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3ba9
Additional Information 2: 3ba9858d7e5db12ef8706b9d8062bd86
Additional Information 3: afbb
Additional Information 4: afbbd302feae422d2ddd75ad2e39f360

Changing detail settings has had no effect, it still crashes. Same with the camera's settings.

As an aside, Maarschalk, is that Shadowmourne?
terrorbyt3
Ensign
Ensign

Post by terrorbyt3 »

Word. So here's an update.
I downloaded that FaceTrackNoIR program that I've been hearing so much about and tried it out. It was an annoying process to get it to register my face, but that's because my cockpit is really dark, so nothing against the program, but when it finally worked, I loaded up Mercenary and lo and behold, the headtracking did not crash the game! I jumped into training to test it out, and while it left much to be desired (probably from poor facial recognition due to the low light conditions), the camera moved around when I moved my head. So I left the head tracking option on, quit, quit FaceTrackNoIR, started FreeTrack, started Mercenary back up and when I loaded into training to test, the game crashed. Same error as before. Now I'm just confused.

I'd really love an excuse to run down to Radioshack and pick up the parts I need to build a real headtracking rig, and quit using this old IR LED taped to a AA taped to my captain's hat. It's crude, but it works for testing.
terrorbyt3
Ensign
Ensign

Post by terrorbyt3 »

Sweet, thanks. I tried the only other version of Freetrack that I could find, which was a 2.1 version. It's tracking seemed rather sluggish compared to the 2.2 version I was using, which was indeed the latest, but at least it wouldn't crash Mercenary. Mercenary kept giving me the no compatible whatever found error, but at least it wouldn't crash.

I'll give the version you supplied a try later today. Thanks again!