Anyone with wireless experiance please help

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

Ok so heres whats happening. Finally got my internet turned back on but had to go buy a new box. i have a Netgear DGN2200 router/modem. heres my problem. i have it all hooked up and ready to go. internet and all. but the second i remove the Ethernet cable. bye bye internet. It shows that i am still connected to the network. just no internet conection. anyone that can help would be appreciated
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Not an expert by any means. But, removing your Ethernet cable, isn't that removing your connection to the internet?

I set up a wireless connection a few years back, to give an mate internet connection whilst he was off-line. Darned if I can remember how I set it up. Going by my crap memory, I had the wireless router set up to the internal modem, with the internet cable connected to the wireless router - I could very well be wrong on that setup.

But, I do remember that you still have to have your main internet connection; all the wireless bit does is enable someone else to piggyback on your connection.

Hope that helps, probably wont - it's the thought that counts!:)
Image And mad cat
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

everything is connected just my computer was able to connect to the internet wirelessly.. now it can't connect to the internet just to the network
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Not enough info to offer help. Are you using a router and a modem? Even wireless modems have to be connected to the ethernet and a second recieving device has to be installed on the PC.
Even if it is wireless, using the cable wouldn't hurt or cause a disconnect.
I suspect you have some program blocking your connection, be it a firewall or some other program.
Many times you must tell the PC what IP's to accept. This may be the case with you.
I know you have joined before so the problem lies w/your setup.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

ok so. the box itself is a router/modem. its a 2 in one. and i'm using a laptop which has a Wi-Fi card installed in it. i have my computer set to automatically find and use the correct IP address.
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by shewter »

Are you talkn WIFII here? I'm on a WIFII and if I disconnect my ethernet I will lose internet also.Why are you disconnecting the ethernet cable?

Is this the main computer (the one hard wired to the router?)
that this is happening to?Or one of the ones on your network(assuming you have more than one computer.)

[Edited on 10-20-2010 by shewter]
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

OK so here is the whole get down. i have two computers in my house, a desktop computer and a laptop. the router was originally hard wired to the desktop and then i tried to connect my laptop to the router wirelessly. (yes WI-FI) i can connect to the wireless network. but with no internet connection whatsoever. Model is a Wireless N 300 Modem Router DGN2200.
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

Did you enter the new router's SSID for the N network to the laptop's network configuration yet? Is the laptop trying to connect to the old wireless network using the original SSID?

You need to make sure that your laptop is set up for the new router configuration.

This includes things like:
Security mode (one of): open, WEP, WPA2, etc.
Encryption method (depends partly on the security mode: AES, WPA-TKIP, etc.
*passphrase* This is the key to your wi-fi network. If you don't have one, your net is open to anyone. If you do have one, it needs to be setup on your laptop's net config.

[Edited on 10-20-2010 by Aesir Rising]
-æsir
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

Originally posted by Aesir Rising
Did you enter the new router's SSID for the N network to the laptop's network configuration yet? Is the laptop trying to connect to the old wireless network using the original SSID?
No it is connected to the new network. The old network doesn't exist anymore. Only the new network comes up and connects. just without internet
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

What does your HTTP proxy say in your laptop's Internet control panel?
-æsir
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

lol you might need to explain to me how to find that informantion.
Spartan268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spartan268 »

Well i finally got ahold of customer support and the fix was incredibly easy. all he had me do was change my routers security to WEP instead of WPA2..... gayz... anyhow. wireless works now.:):):):)
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

"Good to hear it's working now"...;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Yeah ... good to hear. Except you'll also be hearing from the experts (no sarcasm intended) about the security holes in WEP. Unfortunately, sometimes it's all you can use.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Here's a wee gadget that you, and others with a internet connection problem may find useful: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 57&subcat= darned if I can figure out just what it does... but, I guess someone will.
Image And mad cat