Evochron Mercenary Windowed Mode

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
MDCore
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MDCore »

Hi there

I'm trying to run the demo in windowed mode. I can choose Optimized [WM] but it is always fullscreen no matter what the setting says. I did manage to get Legends to run in windowed mode (a window stuck in the middle) but this one won't play along. Any ideas?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello MDCore, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Not sure if that is possible but if it is someone will let us both know soon (lol). See you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The 'Optimized' modes are windowed, just not framed and reduced. Any display mode will generally be stretched to fill the screen unframed/unobstructed and not reduced. Whatever your desktop is will be what the game uses for the Window size.

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

So a desktop can be run in a Windowed mode? Or did I misunderstand?

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by thetiebers]
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi MDCore, Welcome to the Forum. Hope to see you out there once you decide to join the game.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Meatball
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Meatball »

Has anyone figured out a way to run the game in a windowed mode? I'm thinking of picking up the game and I'm trying the demo, but I really need to run in a window.

I have 3 monitors set up connected to 2 Radeon 6950's crossfired in Eyefinity mode, so my desktop is 5760x1080. The game stretches across all three screens no matter what I set the resolution to and it's basically unplayable because it stretches the ship control panel across all 3 screens.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by Meatball]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have 3 monitors set up connected to 2 Radeon 6950's crossfired in Eyefinity mode, so my desktop is 5760x1080. The game stretches across all three screens no matter what I set the resolution to and it's basically unplayable because it stretches the ship control panel across all 3 screens.
The game renders in a windowed mode by default, scaled to fit the selected resolution across whatever available display surface exists. There are several display options you can try to either adjust the FOV enough to squeeze more of the control panel in toward the middle screen and/or utilize different display modes.

First, I'll review the field of view option, which will let you manually dial in the FOV to different levels. When you make a change, you'll want to exit the game and relaunch it to test.

Open the sw.cfg file in notepad, edit line 17 (sixth from the bottom) to a value between 0.1 and 5.0. Restart the game to test the change. This method may produce unexpected results (such as clipping or stretching), but is an available option if you're having trouble getting the display field looking the way you prefer.

For an alternate display mode, place the attached file in the install folder of the game (you can optionally remove it to restore the original mode). See if it changes the output to a mode you prefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarWraith 3D Games
Meatball
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Meatball »

Thanks Vice! I messed around with the FOV settings and found that a value of 4.0 seems to be just about right. Having fun so far.

One thing I did notice is that I had to hunt for my sw.cfg file. I had installed the game to D:\\ folder and couldn't find it when I noticed that there was another sw3dg folder in my C:\\.

Might be cool if you guys could tweak it so those config files are either stored in the chosen install directory or maybe in the Users "My Games" folder in their Documents. Just a thought.

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Great, glad that option worked. As for save data, this thread offers some information you may be interested in, including why certain files are placed in this location by default and how to change it to anything you want (including the Documents folder):

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3433
StarWraith 3D Games
Senkrad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Senkrad »

Hi, I really looking for a windowed mode where it is smaller window on the desktop, not just a different resolution but still filling up the screen. i.e. My desktop is 1920x1080 and I want a 1280x720 on my desktop where I can still see everything else on my desktop. Ideally I would like this smaller window to have a frame so I can move it, but I would be okay with it just sitting in the middle of screen.

I tried the swscreen.txt posted above but it just seemed to make it half-size horizontally with blue filling up the rest, it was pretty screwed up.

Thanks!

Senkrad
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Meatball and Senkrad, welcome to the game and forum!......Hope to see you out there some time!...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Senkrad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Senkrad »

Thanks for the welcome Maarschalk. I assume you are talking about seeing me out there in multiplayer? I am really, really enjoying the game but so far have had 0 success in combat so I haven't even tried MP yet!

Is there any solution to this windowed mode issue? It is really limiting my ability to get away with some AFK mining while working! :D
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Try the new build available here:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... nloads.htm

It will let you reduce the size of the window and place it where you want it on your desktop. Window controls won't be available (due to a different issue) and there may be some mouse pointer/click functionality to be aware of, but this will let you size and place the window as you are interested in doing.

Also, you can do some AFK mining, but it is slower and less effective than if you interact with the mining operation. When you pan the beam around, your material retrieval rate is generally much faster.

[Edited on 5-11-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
Senkrad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Senkrad »

Works like charm, thanks Vice!

I am looking forward to going much deeper in the game. I keep trying my next I.D.G mission once in while, which is my first combat one, but I am just not getting it. I will though.

Thanks for a great game!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad that's working, thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games
madplan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by madplan »

I just bought the steam version of this game, and I too prefer to play on windowed mode (1200x900) so I can play, and at the same time see a IRC chat or whatever. I tried to go to that link of the new build posted by Vice but it says I'm not permitted to see that board, any help?

Thanks in advance
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The options in that archived thread are still available in the 1.828 build, here are the details on enabling the new options:

For the new swscreen.txt window options, simply add two more lines to the file with the X and Y screen position you want the game to render the window at. When the game detects these values in the files, it does the following:

1 - Sets the resolution to the value specified in the Options menu.
2 - Activates the reduced window mode taking it from being stretched to fill the screen down to the size selected in the Options menu.
3 - Positions the window at the X and Y values specified in the swscreen.txt file on lines 3 and 4.

So an example swscreen.txt file might look like this:

And this would display the game in a window scaled to the size of the selected resolution and placed on the screen at 512 X and 0 Y.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dwarf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dwarf »

Where is this file located?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Which file? The sw.cfg file is in the save data folder (details at the link 12 posts up). The swscreen.txt file you can download from the post 14 posts up in this thread and it needs to be placed in the install folder for the game.
StarWraith 3D Games