The most expensive game ever

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
MindYerBeak
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by MindYerBeak »

The most expensive game you could ever buy has to be Microsoft Flight Sim. If you catch the bug and become a prophead you're on your way to the poorhouse.

You find your computer's not powerful enough, so you invest in an all new top of the range rig, running 2 vid cards via SLI. You buy 8Gb of fast memory and you're all set. With all those keys to press you need a gaming keyboard and a gameboard to bind all those different keystrokes, another £200 down the Swanee.

You become addicted and join a forum. You notice there are addons you can buy. Of course, you just MUST have this, that and t'other improved graphics disks. One such disk for Switzerland costs no less than £100 smackeroonies. The graphics are utterly georgeous and thoroughly realistic, adding greatly to the realism of the sim. This encourages you to buy even more addons.

A few airplane addons later and you're a few hundred out of pocket. You just MUST have a copilot. So you buy the addon plus a decent realistic voice to go with it. Before too long your 16Gb of RAM needs to be upgraded to 32Gb.

Look at all these gizmos you can buy. Instead of clicking switches with a mouse inside a virtual cockpit you can now flip real switches.

One monitor simply isn't enough. Let's have a 3 monitor setup.

How about a simpit? Yes, a must have. A simchair would also be nice to give me the feeling of realism. Bang goes anything from £5,000 up to £30,000.

To cap it all a new version of MS Flight Sim comes along featuring even better graphics. You just have to buy it, together with any new operating system that comes along. Must have the latest DivX, so you have to update your rig again. All your addons are now out of date and you have to buy new all over again in order to remain sexy. And so it goes on, ad infinitum.

Stay away from MS Flight Sim, folks, if you value your savings, they'll quickly diminish.

And what's the end result? NOTHING! You've forked out thousands of pounds to sit in a chair that rocks back and forth, and a load of boxes that enables you to flip useless switches on and off. Best of all you go NOWHERE! No matter how often or how long you stay in that expensive rocking chair you haven't moved an inch. Not even a millimetre. But you've convinced yourself you've actually flown around the world and even tell your friends so. In the meantime your wife has left you and the kids no longer recognise you as Daddykins. Your friends down the pub don earmuffs when you arrive. Yes, we know, you've just landed at Kai Tak airport, blah, blah, blah.

Your social skills have all but evaporated. You can only function when online flying in convoy with 'friends' you've never met or ever will meet.

Such woe is the life of a prophead.

But it's such fun, innit...
Mr. MindYerBeak, at your service
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Autopilot. Gives me plenty of time to read four or five books a month. No matter what "sim" I'm flying.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Lol. Funny read, considering I just finished flying my PMDG 4100 using 3 monitors and about $1k in controllers. I can't recall how many planes I have in the stable, but I love my Cessna's. FSX is the only program I have that can bring my system down. It really has created a major 3rd party market of addons and with the announcement of Flight it's going to get crazier. I love my flightsim community :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Marvin
:cool: Autopilot. Gives me plenty of time to read four or five books a month. No matter what "sim" I'm flying.
LOL.......and at least you can tell your friends you travelled intergalactic........:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Let's see I'm running FSX/ACX/REX/GEX/UTX/ORBX/MYTRafficX/FSPassenger and I mainly fly Carenado 182 out of KORF.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I landed my Caravan in Kiel about two years ago ... then found Evochron Legends and never looked back.
MindYerBeak
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by MindYerBeak »

Caravans can fly? You learn something new every day. A flying caravan would certainly impress the neighbours. I MUST have one.
Mr. MindYerBeak, at your service
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Originally posted by MindYerBeak
Caravans can fly? You learn something new every day. A flying caravan would certainly impress the neighbours. I MUST have one.
:D LMAO :D
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Von Paulus »

I don't know of this is the most expensive, but it sure it isn't a bargain.
http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/ProductD ... _id=231740
:P
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....Von Paulus....It sure makes you pay attention as a marketing ploy....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good