The \"dumb mistake\" thread

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Whytephyre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whytephyre »

My worst moment ever: spending all my money on tech items for a trade run, only to forget i would need money to pay docking fees & refuel. As a result i could not unload my cargo or refuel, & i saved right after i spent all my money.... That was a bad one, i had no back up saves at that point as i had only started playing mercenary, & i was having so much fun i had not backed up my save yet.

LoL, i used to die jumping into planet atmospheres constantly in legends & renegades. The navigational improvements in mercenary are a welcome change. I used to have a waypoint at about 180,000 altitide above the primary city of every planet i would frequent. This made for a metric crapload of map log entries.
\"may god have mercy upon my enemeis, because i won\'t.\" -General Patton

burn the mutant, kill the heretic, purge the unclean
-warhammer 40k

\"If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.\"
- Sir Isaac Newton
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

Yeah I did that, left half a million or so in the bank but by the time I got to my destination hanger fees had eaten all of it.

BTW lasers can shoot down missiles in EM. It is not as easy a using the cannon but can be done if your aim is right. Cannons are still way more reliable though.

Ok hmm, every time I post in this thread I want to include something dumb I did. Oh yeah, in the atmospheric IMG quest mission I tried it over a dozen times by luring the ships out of the atmosphere. Once I stopped trying to do that and just fought them in atmosphere I completed it on my next try. Could have saved a lot of time.
Speed is life
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....Flying backwards into a planet while in PvP battle and going Kaboom......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Making the same mistake three times in one contract! When that happens, somebody up there is saying, "Take a break and go have a cold one."
Jester
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jester »

At a station. Went to refuel. Took my eyes off the screen for a moment. Went out and did some mining. Got a full load of diamonds and platinum. Saved since I knew there were likely to be some rebels hanging around the station...... And got back to find that on leaving the station I hadn't refueled at all....... I'd cancelled my licence instead (needless to say I don't have a backup prior to saving)!!!

c3,000,000 down the drain!!!!!!! :(
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

I keep blowing up at indicated altitudes of 3k or more when over water on a planet. I still don't know what the altimeter is showing me, if not altitude above sea level.
-æsir
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

When your altitude indicator numbers turn "RED" you are in the danger zone. You should get a Audio warning also. If you force your ship to stay low you may see your sheilds begin to weaken before you blow up.:D
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

Since posting here, I decided to write a bug report. I posted more detail, including a video, demonstrating the problem I'm having.
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 710&page=3

Please let me know if that video shows why I can't mine water.
-æsir
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Go slow and, as indicated in the other thread, use inertial to "settle" your ship into hover mode.
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

Bit of a necro but I think this is the right place given my comments earlier in the thread. I just blew myself up by accident when jumping out of the docking bay of a carrier. First time I have done that in a while.

But I have an excuse, I just got back from a party and I am fairly hammered. Oddly I am still able to complete combat contracts fairly easily, guess I have built up some muscle memory. Vonarii are a piece of cake even when I am drunk (and my gawd, there was so much icing on the cake. I had a piece like three hours ago and I am still on a sugar rush). There are certain games that I find I can still play pretty well while intoxicated, others I lose all coordination. Guess I can add Mercenary to the ok list (I haven't been drinking much since Mercenary came out so this is the first time I've tested it).
Speed is life
LordNavala
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordNavala »

Originally posted by deathMinder
Accidentally hitting F2 while looking at a roid instead of F3.
*splat*
Nice one. I always ended up doing that on planets and moons. Finally got wise to remap "jump" to f11.

My dumbest mistake? Jumping into a Nebula cloud on one end while just exploring, got mad cause I couldn't jump out(DUH), and by the time I got 80% of the way across the nebula I remembered that I could have turned around and exited that way. The things we do when we're tired, eh?:D
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

WOW!, hello LordNavala. Good 2 C U post tho it says -1:D. Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....first post in 5 years. Welcome to the forum LordNavala...;):cool::P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Good Gawd, where have you been?:o
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

Sigh...

I had just found some hidden containers in a hidden system. I set my loc so I could record the position of the containers. I went to press F1 and instead pressed F2. I watched in horror as I hurtled towards the nearby planet and prayed I jumped before I hit the atmosphere. Almost made it too. Now I have to schlep several hundred sectors back to where I was and find the containers again.

I had been cursing my navigator for making it hard to find the containers by refusing to let me jump in near them. I think I am going to chuck him out the nearest airlock. I will hire a new one when I find someone capable of stopping me starting a jump that will blow me up.

Btw I found out that when the navigator changes your jump coordinates your science officer gives the container bearing relative to where you were going to jump to, not where the navigator actually jumps you to. I would chuck him out the nearest airlock too for his refusal to update me on the container bearing except when I first enter a sector. But I need him to alert me to the containers in the first place and he will give me the correct bearings once I space the navigator.
Speed is life
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

OMG I can't believe I just survived that.

I just did something really stupid and I think I was very lucky to survive. I just jumped into an asteroid cave, if the position I clicked on the nav map had been off by a pixel in any direction I probably would have gone splat against the wall. Now I have to find my way out...
Speed is life
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

My pulse is still racing from this one.

Some of you may not be aware (I wasn't) that holding alt and then pressing the view key (default alt-v, which is what it was for me) will allow you to look around the 3d interior of your cockpit and disable your ability to turn with mouselook.

Somehow I managed to press alt-v in the middle of a contract (and a group of Vonarii) and suddenly I was staring at the bottom right hand corner of my cockpit with no idea what was going on. I frantically launched cms while trying to build up speed as quickly as possible to get out of range of the fray. I managed to survive somehow but I nearly gave myself a heart attack (not literally, but I did get a massive shot of adrenalin and my pulse rate shot through the roof).

I then went into the configure controls and accidentally reset all my bindings to the defaults. I have now set up my key bindings again (and taken a backup of them) and unbound the view key. I never use it so better safe than sorry.
Speed is life
grhluna
Ensign
Ensign

Post by grhluna »

- in the beginning i actually used inertial for fighting i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong the NAVIGATION sucked!! yes i know..
- ok dont laugh its a big mistake but it happened! i was way off in space.. alright i have tons of my equipment in my station i build.. i dont have much money left.. im trying out the station detonator yes... i forgot about the hangar
boem.. al my stuff gone.. low on fuel.. no way to tank because my deploy and build were in hangar yes... i was on fighting equipment..
im left with like some pointless stations without trade.. all alone in space no way to reach the world.. no way to get fuel.. or equipment..
i had to start over again
- building stations on top of each other.. well now its a tourist attraction thats how i see it..
haha yes i ve made the dumbest mistakes
some smaller ones, not knowing about shield/weapon switching for fighting and jumping, getting rid of my crew because i was giving them the low pay treatment
pressing the self destruct button to see if i would make it out in time
yes i have a backup of my folder now :cool: :cool: :cool:
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

never made one.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Aures
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aures »

Originally posted by grhlunapressing the self destruct button to see if i would make it out in time
ROLFMAO, thats one of the best ones yet.
Speed is life
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o I'm with Aures on this one. Luckily, it's one of the few keys I have never pressed by accident.
Dormin
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Dormin »

Yup guilty of the F2 instead of F3 while mining an asteroid. DOH
-=Ice=-
Learning the game as I go.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Jumping directly at the waypoint to attack a capital ship thinking your newly installed cloaking device works the same way it did in Legends ... then, when you press the key and nothing seems to happen (didn't notice the countdown on the right side of the screen), you press it again, wondering if you pressed the correct key the first time (which I did).
Wasp89
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Wasp89 »

Originally posted by Marvin
:o Jumping directly at the waypoint to attack a capital ship thinking your newly installed cloaking device works the same way it did in Legends ... then, when you press the key and nothing seems to happen (didn't notice the countdown on the right side of the screen), you press it again, wondering if you pressed the correct key the first time (which I did).
That's why it's a generally good idea to take your new ship/equipment through a shakedown cruise before taking it into battle ;)
-The race is not to the swift,
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise,
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all...

...For death is the destiny of every man;
the living should take this to heart...
Yob
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Yob »

How about building a new ship and saving your starmaster as a template.
Go fly your new ship for a while and then return to get your old one….

Hold on, Not so fast buddy.. That frame is not available at this station..

:( DOH !