Situation Update

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Latest update on testing: identified a problem with my PC fixed IP that has changed for unknown reason and was not let free from the router firewall. Corrected this and tested the voice chat now that nothing is blocking any port for any protocol in my router.

Pressing the voice chat key for long times (30/60 sec) and tapping at various speeds revealed no flickering at all on my end and showed nothig at all on Marvin's end. I don't see Marvin's callsign when he use voice chat at all.

TeamSpeak is now working a lot better now that I changed my IP and the router is not blocking anything in and out of my PC.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Situation Update

Post by Marvin »

Correct. Denny was coming in broken on TeamSpeak too until he made the adjustments to his router and changed his TS setting to "wave" ... but it made no difference when trying the in-game chat. That test still failed.

At this point, I'd suggest he make the test with somebody else in case there is also a problem at my end.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

I did that before the IP was fixed... I'll do that again next time someone is in the area.... and we'll see.

Any other thought on the matter Vice?
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Situation Update

Post by Vice »

Also just to be sure, can you post or send me a screenshot of the settings you are using in the Options menu of the game?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Is is already in this topic...many post behind, right after you asked it, on page one a little after the half.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Situation Update

Post by Vice »

Ah yes, there it is. We may have tried something similar before, but just as a test, change all of the detail settings to their absolute minimum settings, then also turn off the music. Exit the game, restart it, then try the voice chat again and see if anything changes (continue to try the long key press and the tapping key press).
StarWraith 3D Games
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Will do. Last time we lowered some details and stopped music to ease the memory need but I didn't try setting all to minimum.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Situation Update

Post by Vice »

Oh, also, check your key binding. If you've mapped it to numpad '.' try turning numlock on and off to test with. Also try mapping it to a regular letter key. Lets also rule out any potential keyboard issue.
StarWraith 3D Games
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

I mapped it to Z just to be sure and because it's on the other hand of the stick.

Key is working as I see the callsign under the chat window so the input is received.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Situation Update

Post by Vice »

Excellent, that is promising. That icon wasn't showing before, correct? Was that before or after you changed the detail settings to minimum?
StarWraith 3D Games
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

The callsign always showed on my end... the problem is that it's not showing on other's end and they can't hear me.

I didn't check lowering the details yet... sorry but it will probably take a while before I can login in the game.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Meanwhile, I'll also have a check with another game for the voice chat so that it will gives us some other clues maybe.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Bossk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Situation Update

Post by Bossk »

As you know, you are very welcome to use the TS server during your tests. We can create a dedicated channel for you so there is no cross talk from any other users of the TS server if you wish.

Bossk
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Nice advice Eclipse, but I fear that may be dofficult even if I managed to see Vice online at a time.

Thanks Bossk, we usually use your TS server and rarely we have anyone apart me and Marvin so that would probably not be a problem.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Just to add a clue to the issue, I tried the in game chat function with Lord Of The Rings Online and it was working great without issues.

Will report on the test with EM and ltest adviced from Vice ASAP.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Situation Update

Post by Marvin »

:o Yeah, I was expecting Denny to have a problem of some kind ... but he came in loud and clear on LOTRO without any adjustments ... nearly blew my transistors first time he transmitted. Very odd, indeed.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Situation Update

Post by Marvin »

First, we made sure Denny could be heard on LOTRO ... no problems. I heard him loud and clear and he heard me not-so-loud (but loud enough) and clear. So then we exited LOTRO and logged on to the EM R1 server ... firstly, without Denny changing any settings from LOTRO.

:( No luck.

Then Denny made the changes suggested above. Still no luck. He heard nothing from me and I heard nothing from him. He couldn't see my callsign when I transmitted and I couldn't see his. SeeJay and SolarWing then joined us in Pearl to check and make sure the problem was Denny's and not mine. (Btw, my daughter can also chat with Denny on LOTRO without any problems.) SeeJay heard me and saw my callsign, but not Denny's. And SolarWing and I had a short coversation, no problem.

:( Again, no luck with Denny. No voice. No callsign.

Next week, when Denny has more time, we will log on to TeamSpeak and start from game launch ... checking and re-checking all the boxes and options. Maybe we somehow missed something.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Marvin's report is accurate, no luck with the minimum details setting. Dunno what's happening but it's game related as other applications works fine.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

I doubt it... but just in case what time could be good for you?
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

You're in the USA so I guess this place all our efforts in the afternoon my time (I'm in Italy)... I'm at home until wednesday for a cold so it's a matter of setting up the times mainly....and Marvin can help on this.

Usually we meet at 21.00 my time that should be noon at Marvin's place in Nevada.... you're supposed to be nearer as time zone so we can pick that up earlier when it's morning for you.

Fire off a time based on these info and a day and we'll try to see if we can solve this issue. Be prepared....we have tried everything already...
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Situation Update

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Yup ... noon my time. 3:00pm East coast. Tuesday is good. I'll be logging into BA's TeamSpeak to help coordinate.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

Good, tomorrow nine my time and we'll see.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Situation Update

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Situation Update

Post by DennyMala »

TS2
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Situation Update

Post by Vice »

The separate voice chat test program is a kind of debug executable, and oddly that works on his system and even stranger, the game won't and it uses exactly the same system. It seems that once plugged into the 'high resource' load of the game, the voice chat system will not longer work on his system for some reason (which is why we've suspected it might be a resource issues). Another possible cause is that the higher sound/audio resource load of the game (many more channels with music, sound effects, voices, etc) is exceeding the limit of the sound system on his computer, leaving no additional room for the voice chat system to function. That would be a strange cause though since even bottom end built-in integrated motherboard sound systems are working fine with it. So it's quite an odd scenario with no current likely leads as to cause or solution.

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to add one more point. The fact he can see his own voice chat icon indicates the system is activating, but since no outbound data or inbound data is being handled by his system, it could be something as simple as a network restriction. The packet sizes used for the voice chat system may simply be too large for the settings of his internet/network connection (which is why I asked about those settings earlier). That would be at least one direction for Denny to look into, just to make sure his internet connection can handle the level of data needed for the voice chat system.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games