Getting VSync to work in EM

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Tycow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tycow »

Hi guys,

I'm desperately trying to get v sync to work with EM. I've tried globally forcing v sync on in the nvidia control panel. I've tried playing with the options within EM, and setting it to "FS Max V sync" to no avail. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

My specs are:

nVidia 9600M GS (1Gb Memory) - 197.45 driver version
Windows 7 32bit w/ latest DirectX
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

'Max Vsync' allows maximum vsync/framerate with no limit. So for any other testing, make sure to select a screen mode that does -not- have that listed. It will then enable a 'locked' maximum vsync of 60. You can use the 'Locked (FS)' mode which will enable the full screen mode, just be aware that it will impact alt-tab options.

[Edited on 9-23-2010 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Tycow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tycow »

Originally posted by Vice
'Max Vsync' allows maximum vsync/framerate with no limit. So for any other testing, make sure to select a screen mode that does -not- have that listed. It will then enable a 'locked' maximum vsync of 60. You can use the 'Locked (FS)' mode which will enable the full screen mode, just be aware that it will impact alt-tab options.

[Edited on 9-23-2010 by Vice]
Cheers for the response Vice. I'll give Locked FS a go. :)
Tycow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tycow »

Ok, I've set it to Locked (FS), and V Sync still fails to work, even though it's globally set in the nvidia control panel.

I'm sorry to make an issue of this, but the ripping that happens makes my head feel funny. :(
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Now that you're in the Locked mode, try different compatible resolutions. Switching resolutions may activate or change something with drivers or display to help lock in the vertical sync.

Also, enabling triple buffering can reduce tearing in a variety of games. There is some discussion on another forum about this here (games like Fear and Unreal Tournament): http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=208499

[Edited on 9-24-2010 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations