Other Languages: strange idea? (for staff)

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by chris79 »

Hi guys and staff,
sorry but I didn't know where i can post this topic.
As per the subject, I had a little strange idea but i think that it could be useful to bring new players.
I read several topic of people from different nationalities: italian (i and several friends :) ), french, i think german, spanish, maybe russian or polish and so i've this strange idea that it can help new players who don't know english well (i'm one of them :) ).
Create a new section in the forum, "Other languages" with inside sticky topic, example: "Italian", "German", "Spanish", ecc.. (obviously based on requests and without sub-sections) so the players can exchange ideas, discoveries, opinions, information or helps without the problem of language (a lot of times it is difficult to express the right thought in a different language from their own).
Several games put this section in their forum and i think that it can be a intresting idea, ...otherwise, forgive me and kill it without problems :D

Christian

[Modificato il 11-9-2010 da chris79]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello chris79, not sure if that has been tried yet so may or may not be doable. Have you dropped out of our [UE] clan? I still show you as [UE]chris79.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Blackthorne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Blackthorne »

Well, a subforum for other languages could be worth a try. Simply have those people tag their posts with the appropriate language, and have the community try their best. Quite a few of us are fluent in more than one language, so why not? It's worth a shot.

-Blackthorne
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

That would be neat. You could also use one of the free language translator on the internet to use with this forum.....then you just type your post in your own language use the translator to trans late to English and copy and paste your translation in the forum.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by chris79 »

Originally posted by thetiebers
Hello chris79, not sure if that has been tried yet so may or may not be doable. Have you dropped out of our [UE] clan? I still show you as [UE]chris79.
No, no, i'm still in [EU] (...i hope), i'm waiting EM to (re)play online
Now i'm taken from the italian translation but I'll see you on 17th
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

It's been suggested before ( IIRC I once bridged the idea ), the simple reason there isn't is that it would be difficult to moderate.

however, googles translate service is pretty good and you can use it to translate your post, and its ok to post in your original language as well. There have also been external forums for the evochron games in other languages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E 'stato suggerito prima (IIRC una volta ho colmato l'idea), il semplice motivo non c'è è che sarebbe difficile a moderati.

tuttavia, googles tradurre servizio è piuttosto buona e si può utilizzare per tradurre il tuo post, e il suo ok a posto nella sua lingua originale. Ci sono stati anche i forum esterno per i giochi evochron in altre lingue.
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by chris79 »

well, the moderation is a big problem...., I had not thought of this (perhaps because the community of Evochron is very different from a lot of other community......,it's a compliment ;) )

Unfortunately, despite knowing enough English (but not so good:)), is to me (and i think also for other) much more difficult and more time consuming to bring my ideas and thoughts, but above all, i find hard to make understand at other players what i really wanted to say. Not for the simple topics or questions, requests, etc. .. but to a more immersed in the game; i make an example: I read posts with stories (rpg), narrated experiences, battles fought, etc. ..., all things that I could hardly write and to make understand well in a language different from mine.

However, I seemed to understand (tell me if I'm wrong) that I can write a post in my language and to make faster and easier, translate in English with google translate and put it below.
If so, I ask if i should post in the correct sections or if it is better to open a new topic under General Discussion, for example "Italian Discussions" (or Italian Sections of Evochron) - RPG, Suggest, history of EM, etc. ..." where we can write in 2 languages (in this case italian language and english translation by Google) without going to confuse other topics where maybe only a few player want to read in Italian or in English almost indecent.

Thanks for yours time and if it's not possible, really it's not a big problem for me ;)

See you in game

Christian

[Modificato il 13-9-2010 da chris79]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I like to see posts in both Languages..because their might be others that like to know what your talking about.......;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

yeah its worth posting both your original and the translation. you can also translate the whole forum for browsing ( type http://starwraith.com/forum/today.php into google translate and click on the link ;) ).

Keep your posts in the appropriate forum / thread , and as maars says, its good to post your original text as well as the translation ( lots of bilingual folks here, plus it'll likely help other users of your language when they visit )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah suo valore distacco sia l'originale e la traduzione. si può anche tradurre il forum intero per la navigazione (tipo http://starwraith.com/forum/today.php tradurre in google e cliccare sul link;)).

Tieni i tuoi messaggi nel forum appropriato / thread, e come dice Maar, la sua buona per pubblicare il testo originale e la traduzione (un sacco di gente qui bilingue, in più è probabile che aiutare gli altri utenti della tua lingua quando si visita)
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by chris79 »

My origins are French, so I already knew pretty well the French language but English.............I studied English in school, I did a (short) course but at the end........, play the games was the best lesson (it's umbelievable but I learned "this" English by playing mmorpg!).

heheh, get ready to learn a bit of Italian ;)

[Modificato il 14-9-2010 da chris79]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I'm volunteering Denny to help if what you want to say is too complicated for Google.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

LOL!

That's a nice thing you're used to to volunteering others to do things....;)

I'm here if needed. Basically once a day so it's not difficult to translate a post provided is not too long.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, try to translate the Stories posted by some of the writers of tales on this forum.....LOL...:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by chris79 »

LOL...
hehehe, I wish you good work denny!:P:P (I recommend, first the quest files ;) )