The real importance of an Infinite or a limited universe.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Lord_Braathen
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lord_Braathen »

I registered only for this :
Procedural generation of the galaxy is the main reason of the Elite success.
It's also the main reason that many players are waiting for Infinity Online Universe.
If you wait the reclamations and the polls of your customers to implemente something like this in a this kind of game, it's that you're sure what players really want.
In most of case, they won't tell you what to do, it's your duty to guess what they truly want.
You can trust myself if I say that the games will be sold ten times more if there are 50 thousand solar system in your game.

Sorry for my english wich is not so good.
And thanks for your understanding.

[Edite le 12-9-2010 par Lord_Braathen]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I love vaporware. It's so detailed.
zijulo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zijulo »

Hi everyone,

I first want to thank the game designers to make one of my old dream (to play a Elite-like game) come true. I heard about Evochron only few days ago and I'm waiting for Mercenary with a great impatience.

The advantage of a huge randomly generated univers is not to be able to explore more planets but to have the feeling of being in an infinite space, to feel that we can go very far to start from scratch if we want. It is maybe just an illusion but I also think that random generation is a good thing. It might be possible to have a mod to add random systems in addition to those already existing, even if it only works in single player mode.

Sorry also for my English

[Edite le 10/9/2010 par zijulo]

49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello zijulo, Welcome to the forum and soon the Sim. See you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I first want to thank the game designers to make one of my old dream (to play a Elite-like game) come true. I heard about Evochron only few days ago and I'm waiting for Mercenary with a great impatience.
It's almost here, hope you enjoy the game.
The advantage of a huge randomly generated univers is not to be able to explore more planets but to have the feeling of being in an infinite space, to feel that we can go very far to start from scratch if we want. It is maybe just an illusion but I also think that random generation is a good thing. It might be possible to have a mod to add random systems in addition to those already existing, even if it only works in single player mode.
Are you implying that Evochron does not have such 'random' universe content? Most of the game's universe is actually randomly created and quite big (although not unmanageably so), so you should find plenty of 'go very far' elements in Evochron if you want to. If you visit even just 1/4 of the 'random' generated uncharted systems in the game within the first six months you play the game, I'll be very impressed :) For example, beta testers have been playing the game for almost a year now and one of the most significant locations in the game still has yet to be discovered.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Goodies to look for still. GREAT!!!:P
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Vice
For example, beta testers have been playing the game for almost a year now and one of the most significant locations in the game still has yet to be discovered.
:o
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: As discussed elsewhere, the quadrant map only covers the "known" universe ... and not even all of that (Vonari space and Andromeda being two "known" exceptions). So, let that sink in and maybe you'll get the feeling of being in a much bigger universe ... one that extends far, far into the unknown. Where, without the proper equipment, you could find yourself lost forever.
zijulo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zijulo »

Are you implying that Evochron does not have such 'random' universe content? Most of the game's universe is actually randomly created and quite big (although not unmanageably so), so you should find plenty of 'go very far' elements in Evochron if you want to. If you visit even just 1/4 of the 'random' generated uncharted systems in the game within the first six months you play the game, I'll be very impressed For example, beta testers have been playing the game for almost a year now and one of the most significant locations in the game still has yet to be discovered.
As discussed elsewhere, the quadrant map only covers the "known" universe ... and not even all of that (Vonari space and Andromeda being two "known" exceptions). So, let that sink in and maybe you'll get the feeling of being in a much bigger universe ... one that extends far, far into the unknown. Where, without the proper equipment, you could find yourself lost forever.
Ok, that's great ! ;) So the quadrant map I saw is just the "visible part of the iceberg" and the other zones are randomly generated. Someone told me in another forum that the map of Evochron Legends wasn't so big but he probably miss something.

tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Ok, that's great ! So the quadrant map I saw is just the "visble part of the iceberg" and the other zones are randomly generated. Someone told me in another forum that the map of Evochron Legends wasn't so big but he probably miss something.
If one doesn't stray beyond the beaten path...
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Lord_Braathen, Welcome to the forum. Hope you get one of the games and see you out there some time...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi zijulo, also welcome, hope to see you out there maybe.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Lord_Braathen
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lord_Braathen »

After that, I must make my apologies.
Sorry dear space fellows.
I didn't want to be rude, I was afraid to feel locked in a small universe.

Fly safe.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Nothing rude about it, good to be curious. Enjoy exploring the vast universe - I've been told it would take far more than 100 days to fly from one side to the other side of the universe without jump devices. And who knows what might be hidden in that void!
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yup, using some rough math, if you cruised at 1000, it would take you roughly 220-230 days to traverse just one direction across just the -charted- systems of Evochron from one sector range of -5000 to +5000. And you can travel any direction you want, so to explore in a circular pattern across just some of the game's universe could potentially take several years at cruise speed. The actual 'size' of the space you play in is pretty big, even though it is scaled down to accommodate faster paced gameplay and accessibility among players.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

There is a song called "welcome to the Evochron" which has been written for Mercenary says in bridge section of the song:

What you see is what you get,
This is an adventure that you will not forget.
Build empire of your own,
In vast universe of the Evochron...

;)
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Lord_Braathen, in case I have not done so, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you out there sometime.:)