Joystick axis sensitivity adjust?

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Phileosophos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phileosophos »

I'm a newcomer to Evochron Legends and am in the process of getting things configured. I think I have but one hurdle left to vault: joystick axis sensitivity. My joystick is a Logitech Extreme 3D, so it doesn't come with any nifty software to tweak much of anything. I've got all the axis mapped and thanks to others I have the hat working, but I don't find any way to adjust the sensitivity for each axis. Is there any way to do that? I ask because the yaw axis on that thing is incredibly sensitive compared to the pitch and roll, which makes it tricky to keep my ship pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Everything is handled 1:1 in the game, so you'd need to adjust the global sensitivity setting to try for an internal solution. Otherwise, the Logitech Gaming Software should let you configure each axis the way you want it, including sensitivity. Someone else here to who uses a Logitech controller and the software could probably offer some specifics.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Phileosophos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phileosophos »

Bummer. I was afraid you were going to tell me that. This joystick is old enough that I don't think it has any Logitech software. It's just a plug-and-play USB joystick that the basic Windows driver manages. I've said for years I should buy a better joystick. Maybe now's finally the time to buy one of those nifty HOTAS setups I see. Thanks.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Did you adjust the sensitivity from within the game? Two options are available.
Phileosophos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phileosophos »

Yeah, thanks, Marvin, but I didn't notice much difference. I have one axis on this joystick that's just a ton more sensitive than the other two. I fear nothing short of a new and better joystick is going to help.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Did you try to download the Logitech Gaming Software program from their site to see if it's compatible? They list an Extreme 3D as one of the compatible controllers.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Phileosophos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phileosophos »

You know what? I thought I already had it installed. I thought it was the same software that powers my G15 keyboard and G13 gameboard. As it turns out, though, once I installed the additional software you mentioned I could create a profile specifically for Evochron Legends, which allows me to adjust the axis sensitivity just as I like. Thanks!

Though maybe I should be ticked you've torpedoed my motivation for buying a nifty HOTAS system...

Still, I could probably put a TrackIR system to good use instead :)
Phileosophos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phileosophos »

I didn't know that either (i.e., that it supports multiple devices), so thanks for the info. I like DCS Black Shark as well as the old Falcon 4.0, so I keep meaning to buy a nice HOTAS. I just haven't gotten around to it.

And nowadays it seems like there are so many options it isn't really clear what makes sense. The Saitek X52 seems like a nice system, as does the Logitech G940, but neither of them appear to have the programming capabilities of the Thrustmaster Cougar. But then the couger is like a decade old and soon to be replaced by the Warthog?

I guess I've got some research to do on that topic.