Anyone using a gaming chair?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

I'm looking at getting the playseat flightseat link

My lil desk chair generally has me humped over trying to sim.

Wife said no to this chair :(

[Edited on 8-20-2010 by Ohsirus]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

If you can do some minor woodworking-find your self a nice bucket seat off craigs list or ebay and build your own...They are not that hard to come by. I was able to pick up a mini-van bucket seat, almost mint condition for 35$ on ebay for my cockpit. I can sit in that all day with out being sore or stiff. :cool:
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

There's the problem, I'm not good at woodworking. :(
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Dang :( Maybe ask a friend to help??
Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Von Paulus »

I don't even dare to show the chair to my wife, she would promptly say, "It's me or the chair." ;)
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

lol

Easy to build it with little help...

Anyone knows its price?
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Yup, expensive indeed. After finding a "sport car chair", only problem is building construction... Looks like easy...

One of my friend did it. Looks very good, works very well, and coast is appox 200$... If I can reach him, I'll put a picture right here...

In addition, I know some kind of apparatus to be fitted to existing tables for placing hotas...Working very well and waaay cheaper...

[Edited on 8-20-2010 by warsign]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Yup...but all you need really is to do a simple "simpit" home built cockpit search on Google images to get some good ideas. Not really that hard to put an idea to paper and build with cheap materials.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Eclipse

....16USD for these plans which lets you use any regular household chair (my personal preference)...
Wow, nice idea and looks cool. Not scary at all, definitely buildable!

I like "missile lamp" so much by the way :)

Whoa! Look at this!!!

http://www.rogerdodger.net/images/ww2_f ... ebaddy.jpg

Awesome!

[Edited on 8-20-2010 by warsign]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

I am still surprised that more folks do not build starfighter simpits.....WWII and modern jet pits are the vast majority for some reason. :D
Blackthorne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Blackthorne »

Originally posted by tk7223
I am still surprised that more folks do not build starfighter simpits.....WWII and modern jet pits are the vast majority for some reason. :D
Well, truth to be told: There are few cool space fighter cockpits that are fleshed out enough to get enough reference shots to make a plan from...

...and the REALLY cool space cockpits tend to be a bit impractical. I mean, it's pretty hard to properly control a space sim when you're floating immersed in a slightly tinted liquid breathing medium. And don't get me started on the problems of getting an alien hybrid capable of interfacing with Vice's games so that I can scream orders at him in bad old-earth english. ;)

Jokes aside, most space fighter cockpits are clearly heavily inspired by/rip off earth airplane cockpits. And it's hard to get proper visual references, as most of them are CGI by now and thus are not bound by the laws of physics.

-Blackthorne
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Another thing about space fighter cockpits are there aren't any worthy Space Sims ( Evochron excluded) that truly capture the Sim experience ala FSX/DCS/il-2. Also I can't beleive the PVC pipe setup is appealing to a few. Looks like something from the Fat Albert Junkyard Band. Maybe If they drilled in a few rotating LEDs.

Can't find a source that will deliver me the chair at a decent price :(

This could also satisfy my needs.

A SimPit is Born.

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
Another thing about space fighter cockpits are there aren't any worthy Space Sims ( Evochron excluded) that truly capture the Sim experience ala FSX/DCS/il-2. Also I can't beleive the PVC pipe setup is appealing to a few. Looks like something from the Fat Albert Junkyard Band. Maybe If they drilled in a few rotating LEDs.
PVC is easy to work with, easily pained black or another color, and also easy to attach panels to that can hide the PVC from the player's view. :cool:

Hiding that desk is much harder. ;)
OMG They got training PVC Videos, I must be behind the times.

Ok After watching the videos I can see some possibilites, covering the PVC Pipes with some form of lamintate/ COntact panel/etc. Something tough/flexible.hmmm. I was always good with my Erector set.

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
There's the problem, I'm not good at woodworking. :(
Ask your wife if she is good at wood working and if she is tell here to make the chair for you otherwise its the chair from the link. Unless she makes more then you do....;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I use a gaming chair. And I have built 4 of them.
It was easy enough. Just pickup a comfortable office chair, bolt side panels to the arms, make or have made, "boxes" for the controller/s [in my case, an X45] and glue/mount them to the side panels where you want them.
I'm not a carpenter eiither. After I found a chair I liked, I found a carpenter I liked, explained what I wanted and he did the rest.
Cost was around $50.00USD, not counting the chair.
I have pics, but don't know how to include them.
Good Luck...
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....I could built one, but if I did I would be glued in it and have a not so happy wife. Now if my wife built one for me...that is if she could......then I would not feel so bad being glued in it and I would have a happier wife......;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

I am totally agree with Eclipse. Pvc has many advantages...
While building and after building...

Looks like "worth-to try" to me!
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Originally posted by Von Paulus
I don't even dare to show the chair to my wife, she would promptly say, "It's me or the chair." ;)
An easy choice as far as I'm concerned :P

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Originally posted by MCCON
Originally posted by Von Paulus
An easy choice as far as I'm concerned :P

"Yuppers I agree"....I traded the 'ol battle ax in for a shinny new space ship :D
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL............:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Originally posted by warsign
I am totally agree with Eclipse. Pvc has many advantages...
While building and after building...

Looks like "worth-to try" to me!
Yes, but you guys aren't thinking big enough.

He's got a whole website dedicated to showing how to build it. I'd love to have one of these with EL.
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Some people just don't know when enough is enough! :D:D:D
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....his screen is a little bit small, now if he had put a 360 degrees wall monitor instead then he would really been thinking big.....:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Blackthorne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Blackthorne »

Originally posted by EclipseI've already seen that and realized that it's impractical to achieve the three 360 degree axes needed for full motion simulation in Evochron. :P
I haven't figured out a practical, not to mention safe, means of making a motion sim that can handle putting the player hanging upside down.
How would you even define "up" in space?

Yeah, I know, Evochron has an easy answer for that, since all space stations are oriented along the plane of the ecliptic. But from a "hard SF" point of view, you'd just feel the acceleration forces of the ship's frame, which places "down" in the opposite direction of the engine's push.

So, if we'd really build a motorized monkey swing for that "spacey" feeling, you'd be lying on your back, most of the time, with gravity simulating the ship's acceleration. Unless you use reverse thrust, which would be best simulated by having you suspended facing down to the ground. And once we start using the strafe drives, you might as well bring an airplane barf bag along, since it'll be rather intense.

But since we can assume mastery of artificial gravity in the Evochron Universe (the ships are laid out like airplanes and naval vessels, not like torchships, and the stations don't use coriolis forces to simulate gravity), you can just build a "static" cockpit and tell the luddites that your inertial compensator is working just fine.

And yes, I have spent far too much time designing a "hard" SF setting for a RPG campaign. Believe me, realism =/= fun.

-Blackthorne
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

(AG being available to capital ships , cities, and stations only due to the size of needed equipment).
:cool: Once somebody comes up with the basic design, I'm pretty sure the Japanese will be able to reduce its size down to something compact enough, cheap enough, and practical enough to be installed in smaller space ships.