CH Products Multi Function Panel anyone have?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

I was thinking about grabbing one of these * http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html * for my gamepod to add to the Logitech g940 set....but I was wondering if anyone has this and how large it actually is. I can't seem to find anywhere that shows the dimensions.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by tk7223
I was thinking about grabbing one of these * http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html * for my gamepod to add to the Logitech g940 set....but I was wondering if anyone has this and how large it actually is. I can't seem to find anywhere that shows the dimensions.
Try this link, I might have to beat you to it.

Link with dimensions here

One guy's rig

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by Ohsirus]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

On the fence for getting one after doing a little more research. Keys stuck to glass via adhesive? Hmmm. Must be very popular cause it's very hard to find. I'm currently researching using a USB Monitor TouchScreen.

Wondering if they offer some form of mapping software to assign keys to different screen positions using a graphic overlay. Found one

Demo

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by Ohsirus]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Thanks for the links! I really needed the dimensions to make a template to play with. I am still on the fence about getting one(mostly because I'll prob. want two or three). I like the concept of the Mimo pads...but they are not a durable as the CH MFP. With a little creativity I can make the MFP appear backlit(via black light LED and printed graphics for the underlay).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Well, you just made me order the MIMO 10in touchscreen. I downloaded touchbuddy and played around with some of the profiles and watched/read a few more reviews and was hooked. Going to have to work on my Evo Mercenary template :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Wow,.....LOL....some nice stuff out there......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

yup...and I am trying to help stimulate the economy :P
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

When it comes to trying to help to stimulate,.............my wife wins over the economy.......LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Compared to my Ex....the economy is cheaper to stimulate. LMAO
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Originally posted by Eclipse
I'd rather have the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs attached to small LCD panels.
Those are nice...and much less expensive. I may have to check on some reviews of those before I place any orders.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Tested out Evolegends using touchbuddy and a tablet pc i had laying around and it worked! Started working on a profile for when my Mimo arrives :)

My enter atmoshere at fast rate frontal shield boost toggled.

This is the 10in screen size.

]
[Edited on 8-11-2010 by Ohsirus]

[Edited on 8-11-2010 by Ohsirus]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Sweet....you'll be like me, and not want to land back here on earth. :P
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Nice, I like the Save Game button....LOL.... should have one in every cockpit......:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Yeah, it's version .01a. Probably rename it to Quantum Flux Time Anchor :P
MindYerBeak
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by MindYerBeak »

Mr. MindYerBeak, at your service
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Well..I after much inspection I've changed my mind about the CH products MFD. Instead I have ordered the Thrustmaster MFD set. Aside from the price, I like the layout, size, and mountability more than the CH MFD. It will require some modifications to my cockpit....but will be easy to backlite with cold cathode tubes and custome graphics. Also...they look more authentic for my Mechwarrior and Lockon games.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Yeah, that was my second pick after reviewing. I don't have a custom pit (yet) so I'll hold out.
Touchbuddy profile.

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Ohsirus]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Nice graphic :)

I am working up a graphic for X3:TC....then I will do a MW4/Mercs graphic....atleast until EM comes out...LOL
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Would love to see your X3:TC when done.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Will do..I'll post a pic of the MFD mounted..as well as the template I use for it. :cool:
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Here is a link to my quick X3:TC overlay art... http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8e ... directlink

I'll post a pic of it installed in the MFD and mounted once I can get a day off to play with it.

;)

[Edited on 8-13-2010 by tk7223]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Well...played X3:TC using the Cougar MFD. Here are a couple things to know about it.

You must use 3rd party software (like JOYtoKey) for programming profiles, as the Thrustmaster software has no customizing ability beyond adjusting the backlight intensity. Not a show stopper, but the adverstising is misleading. Construction seems solid and has a very good removable desk stand.

It comes with card stock glossy prints for giving a faux display, but also has clear plastic inserts you can use to make regular printer paper displays. Also, these only take a few seconds to swap out and do not require de-mounting or dis-assembly to change. Very appealing, as you can have pre-made print outs for your games. Super cheap compared to buying touch screens (which can be added to these also) or the CH products MFD.

It does take a bit of testing to get your print outs to match up to the buttons. My first attempt was funtional, but since I am a bit of a perfectionist..I will be changing it until I get it perfect.

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by tk7223]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Originally posted by Eclipse
I take it that the MFDs appear as controllers with a lot of buttons? If that's the case they are great for Evochron Legends (and Mercenary) since the game(s) can map functions to buttons on multiple controllers easily, even without assigning keys to the functions.
Yes, atleast in Win7 it appears as a joystick with only buttons in the control panel. I will try EL later this weekend, but I expect it will be much easier to use with it.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by tk7223
Well...played X3:TC using the Cougar MFD. Here are a couple things to know about it.

You must use 3rd party software (like JOYtoKey) for programming profiles, as the Thrustmaster software has no customizing ability beyond adjusting the backlight intensity. Not a show stopper, but the adverstising is misleading. Construction seems solid and has a very good removable desk stand.

It comes with card stock glossy prints for giving a faux display, but also has clear plastic inserts you can use to make regular printer paper displays. Also, these only take a few seconds to swap out and do not require de-mounting or dis-assembly to change. Very appealing, as you can have pre-made print outs for your games. Super cheap compared to buying touch screens (which can be added to these also) or the CH products MFD.

It does take a bit of testing to get your print outs to match up to the buttons. My first attempt was funtional, but since I am a bit of a perfectionist..I will be changing it until I get it perfect.

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by tk7223]
Wow, found a pack of 2 on Ebay for 60 bucks (bought). I read most use joy2key or Xpadder for customizing. Saw some really professional templates on line for alot of the popular sims, not sure what your flavor is. More toys :)
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Yup...they are a good buy. I found mine on Amazon.com. Two pack for $57 if you have a prime membership free two day shipping. Not a bad price at all for a unique controller in my opinion. Easily adaptable for whatever sim genre you fancy. :D