Need a new Joystick :(

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Well, it's that time again for me. Got a few bucks to burn and I want to take the Joystick plunge again since Mercenaries will be hitting soon and a few others.

Right now I have a Saitek X-52, but quickly retired it out of frustration. It never felt right to me, always felt loose. I know the majority of people here swear by it and I was seriously just thinking of going with the X-52 pro since from what I've read they added some resistance (second spring) to the body.

Then I remembered how much I loved my orignal FF Sidewinder and I see that Logitech has the G940 . I never see any mention of it on here and I've looked at the simhq reviews and a few others. Seems to not have any glaring issues.

I also had my mind set on Saiteks X-65, but it seems that force sensing seems more of a hindrance than help.

So basically, I'm going from high to low on picks as Logitech G940, X-52 pro, and X-65. I didn't research any CH or Thrustmaster products, so any input on them would be helpful.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Other than the X-52, I have a set of CH Products Pro Flight, throttle, and Pedals. They are not sold together and get rather spendy to get all three. They are very sturdy and constructed well. Also, they hog a USB port for each controller. Then I have a MS Force Feed Back 2, it rocks and still works as good as day 1, and they can still be found on Ebay or Craigslist(but no additional software is available beyond Windows Xp, but does work native in Win7). I would recommend any of these to friends.:D
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I would like to suggest you take a chance and buy a Saitek X45 off Ebay. I have three of them. They are tighter, more robust imho, have more options and have a dedicated rocker switch for roll/yaw.
Since the controller is no longer produced by Saitek, excellent deals can be found on Ebay. I have never bought a bad one.
Good Luck !:)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

@ tk7223, I have Saitek's Flight Yoke, Pedal, Quadrant package deal. Use it when I'm on my FSX kick. Couldn't see using it for a combat game though. I do miss my Sidewinder, which is why I'm leaning toward Logitechs answer to Forcefeedback fans.

@MMagio, have to say the X45 seems like a backward step from an X-52. The reviews were pretty brutal.

The Joystick market has just about vanished and options are so slim.

New Saitek Toys Damn Saitek and their new pedals!

[Edited on 8-1-2010 by Ohsirus]
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by shewter »

Go with what MM says.I bought a brand new x-52, and it never worked right from day one, had to keep unpluging it and plug it back in to get it to work.I found an x-45 off ebay for 30 bucks, never looked back.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

The X-65 looks nice.....LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
The X-65 looks nice.....LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Yes and weird a bit :)

Using X45 with rudder pedals sounds good to me...
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Went and ordered the G940, Force Feedback is what sold me. Anybody know if EL or EM supports force feedback? My wife going to have a fit, Need to unload some of my peripherals.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
....Anybody know if EL or EM supports force feedback?
Both...
Renegades too...
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by warsign
Originally posted by Ohsirus
....Anybody know if EL or EM supports force feedback?
Both...
Renegades too...
:cool: If FF doesn't work with your joystick, you might need to download a very small file and put it in your main game folder. I think (IIRC) the file was created for the Sidewinder but it also works (and is needed) for my Saitek Rumble Force.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by tk7223 »

Make sure and let us know how you like your new stick when you get it!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, give us some feedback, I read some of the reviews, and centering of the stick seems to be a problem and no dedents on the rotary buttons or any buttons like on the X-52. so you have to visually center the buttons....which can be annoying in combat....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
Yes, give us some feedback, I read some of the reviews, and centering of the stick seems to be a problem and no dedents on the rotary buttons or any buttons like on the X-52. so you have to visually center the buttons....which can be annoying in combat....;)
Yeah, the centering was an issue, but they released a firmware update in Jun/Jul that corrected it. The rotarys might take some getting used to, might just dremel a groove like a few people I saw.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....Stick mutilation.....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

ryuu
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ryuu »

i was using a really old sidewinder (i mean i got it when i was like 10) untill recently when i lost it, so i'm running mouse atm and i'm finding it a lot easier tbh
the day has ended, the night is yet to come
light and darkness, opposite sides to the same coin, yet what may do not realize is that this coin holds a third side, a side not of either or the other, but of both, a side of twilight. when light and darkness destroy eachother, there is nothing left but twilight, yet aslong as one or the other exists twilight exists within it, that is both the power and weakness of twilight. i am Ryuu Hakumei, The twilight Dragon. The Dusk Has Come

part three of The Fire of Twilight now posted! http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5546
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by ryuu
i was using a really old sidewinder (i mean i got it when i was like 10) untill recently when i lost it, so i'm running mouse atm and i'm finding it a lot easier tbh
I miss my Sidewinder, it was my first high end joystick. I've been youtubing home made flight sim setups and have been secretly acquiring the pieces to build mine when I move. Just have to find the chair I want now.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Wohoo G940 came in and got it roughly hooked up, trying to figure out what my EL profile going to look like. Had to download the ffenable file, but EL seems to recognize all the Axis, even the split throttle....more to follow.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Your planet-side battles will never be the same.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Originally posted by Marvin
"Planet side Battles are a Hoot to do!" :D:D:D LoL
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL.....Marv...realy?...:P:P:P:P:P

[Edited on 8-7-2010 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Force feedback is a really good reminder that you've entered a planet's atmosphere.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

:cool: Force feedback is a really good reminder that you've entered a planet's atmosphere.
Is it suppose to feel like you're riding over train tracks? Really jolting. Thought it was a glitch.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Most force feedback units are adjustable. Surely there is a way to adj the feedback intensity, just look for it.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by MMaggio
Most force feedback units are adjustable. Surely there is a way to adj the feedback intensity, just look for it.
It's not the intensity, its why is atmospheric flight represented as a "train-track roll".
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It's 'supposed' to be a shake, but force feedback has some quirky standards (ie iForce2) and apparently some quirky implementation (not all devices are consistent). It should feel like shaking (fast train tracks perhaps), as though your ship is trembling from the turbulence of high speed descent. But it should go away once you decrease to non-burn speeds.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations