StarShatter The gathering Storm

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Looks awsome and has Track IR.......but game features seems to be lacking like the size of the universe and exploration....etc...Can you travel to different Solar systems or is it all combat based around our Solar systems space?........:o;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Maars, I just have the demo. working on getting full game. Couple of interesting mods out I see.

Just saw this upcoming game also

Diaspora?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UE3nKcJ ... re=related
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MaceUK »

I have it but had to get via 'other sources' if you know what I mean as you cannot buy it anymore because Matrix dropped it. You can apparently find it on Ebay for silly amounts of money though.

It's good and there is a BSG mod which is quite cool. It's not in the same vein as EL though and is more like FS2 with it having missions and is not a free-to-explore universe.

[Edited on 30-7-2010 by MaceUK]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From the Info it looks like you can only travel to other Star Systems to do battle with the battle cruisers or carriers and then launch a fighter from those to land on planets and do battle around planets in a particular solar system......;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I've had it and played it and scripted it and tested it for MP ... inside and out. In fact, there's probably an old thread here where I listed some of its shortfalls. Basically, 'though it has a fairly good scripting tool, there's no way to overcome the game's many bugs ... and support for the game simply does not exist.

IIRC:

When commanding a capital ship, if you touch an opponents capital ship, both ships become invulnerable. If, in a surface battle, you go beneath the planet's mesh, you become invulnerable. Other things can also trigger invulnerability ... both for you and the AI. Missiles are supposed to be limited ... except there's a bug with the AI that often gives them unlimited missiles. Ground defenses can shoot through mountains ... making a joke out of low-level ingress to a target.

Worst of all, even though planetfall looks like it could be seamless, the game uses a cut scene anyway. Same with launching into space.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Thanks for the info...Marv.....to bad, the graphics in the videos looked awesome and that is the only reason it got my attention....LOL...:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yeah ... the game certainly had potential. Me and a buddy worked hard to circumvent some of the bugs ... the buddy even tried and tried again to get the developer's attention. He bought the follow-on to the original release, hoping the bugs would've been fixed.

:o No luck.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I have been playing "Starshatter" for years.
Must be me. I have no probs, and that's odd.
I can mess up steel balls with a rubber hammer !
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

We weren't just playing the default game. We wanted to build custom missions for team vs AI and team vs team multiplayer. The invulnerability issue, when ships collided, was a real bummer. As was AI with an unlimited supply of missiles (especially since your rails carried a very limited supply). And, oh yeah ... phantom AI that weren't really there but could shoot back anyway.

Granted, MP was stable. But there was nothing to do (except go head-to-head ... as long as you didn't collide with one another) unless you scripted a custom mission. That's where all the troubles began.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

I've been reading that after patching to 5.03 most people have made it all the way thru StarShatter TGS. I was just amazed it worked under win7 64. Not sure how I missed this game, I love it!!!

Supports TrackIR and it looks great under Nvidia3d! Landing on a carrier in space using newtonian physics was by far the most immersive (looking/feeling) space sim I ever played.

A couple hacks here and there and it's gourgeous, challenging, and fun as heck. Suprised it's discontinued. Have a feeling the orignal Starshatter's bugs corrupted its reputation.

[Edited on 8-1-2010 by Ohsirus]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, to bad, was looking for the demo, but even that is not available for download on the site anymore...:(;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
Yes, to bad, was looking for the demo, but even that is not available for download on the site anymore...:(;)
http://www.worthdownloading.com/downloa ... 26&id=3268
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Thanks Ohsirus. Downloading as I type. Will give it a try......;):cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I tried installing the demo but it wouldn't let me start the application... it was requesting some screen resolution that my laptop couldn't achieve, like 1600x1200 or somesuch strange figure.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Did some training missions of the demo. It takes a while getting used to. I wish I had more time to set up the controls. And some times in the demo some controls do not always seem to work or I simply have not figured out all the controls yet or maybe I'm missing something. One thing I did not like is that you do not have complete freedom in this game. The training missions are very easy once you figure out the controls .....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats: