Calibrating joystick

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Calibrating joystick

Post by Ravenfeeder »

A few weeks back I had a big comp crash whilst playing EL. It wiped out my pilot profile. Verb was good enough to send me a back up profile, I already had one saved, but, for some reason it wouldn't copy across.

Put in Verbs old profile, and it worked, put in my old profile, and it worked too. Only thing, missing a few thousand kills, and over 1k in missions - much woe!

It got worse. My Logitech 3D pro showed, both in game, and in the control panel as having the twist jammed all the way to the right.

I thought, fair enough, it's had a fair old hammering, time to get a new joystick. Bought the same model, and... whoopee, it arrived today - much glee.

Set it up. And, guess what, the darn thing had the twist control jammed all the way to the right - sudden gloom!

I was a tad disappointed that the CD programme didn't have a calibration programme in it - more gloom:mad:

I pratted around and found that if you go into control panel, game contoller, which brings up the joystick, but no calibration stuff. But, hitting both the shift and Ctrl keys, and mouse clicking on the properties, brought up a Win calibration programme - instant whoopee;)

Then I found, that when I went into EL, just on a whim, I rreset the deadzone, which was at 4, back down to 1 - it worked - much whooppee and gurgling of cold beer.

Perhaps you all knew about the shift/ctrl, I didn't. Posting this just in case you are as ignorant of the hidden bits and pieces of Win XP as I am.
Image And mad cat
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by MMaggio »

No, I didn't know about the calibration trick, but I did know about the, "... gurgling of cold beer"! :P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Calibrating joystick

Post by Marvin »

:P All good pilots know that one. But the calibration program is a keeper. And, Raven, don't feel too bad about all those missing kills ... like everyone else, in Mercenary you'll be starting from scratch anyway.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by MMaggio »

Everyone except the beta testors!:(
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by MMaggio
Everyone except the beta testors!:(
I'll be online on your server on day one with a brand new pilot working my way up like everyone else..
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
warsign
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by warsign »

Rofl!

Would be good to watch "old rookie players" while working(because of bankruptcy!!!!), time to open a cold beer :) May be we meet in the lobby and playing our guitars using brand new in-game voice chat support leader :)

But beta testing is so difficult job I learned it now. Everyday, everything is changing. Remembering early beta days...

Especially Eclipse and NigelStrange, I admire both of you, did very good job there...

@Raven: Yes, it is difficult to find. Logitech driver has no option for this, it is weird. It is calibrating while installing software first, then calibrate button is disappearing suddenly... Before buying new joystick, you should try your old one with another game or with another computer may be, it works sometime...I am sorry for your losts. But you will lost all your money anyway very soon, new game's coming...

PS: Eclipse had very good idea for this. I don't know will it available or not(about starting from scratch).

[Edited on 7-20-2010 by warsign]
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Calibrating joystick

Post by Ravenfeeder »

As I said, War, I figured it out, and, on the happy side, I've now got a backup joystick.

I was just passing on the way that I found to calibrate the joystick, in case any other users had the same problem. It's great to be back to a level 1 on the deadzone settings, my stick is much more responsive.
Image And mad cat
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by Maarschalk »

Thanks for the info. There is another way to acces the windows calibration via control panel. I guess you just found the Windows short cut keys to the Calibration...LOL..:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
warsign
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by warsign »

Yes, I tried your dz setting,works better.
Thanks for valuable infos Raven.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
Thanks for the info. There is another way to acces the windows calibration via control panel.
If you mean "game controllers" section in control panel, doesn't work after installed logitech driver...
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Calibrating joystick

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
Thanks for the info. There is another way to acces the windows calibration via control panel. I guess you just found the Windows short cut keys to the Calibration...LOL..:P
Maars, the method I quoted is used by going through the control panel, and, is the only way to access a Win XP Pro joystick calibration. If you know of a way of calibrating just through the control panel, without using the shfit/Ctrl method, please let me know - thanks.
Image And mad cat
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by Maarschalk »

OK, I tried it and I'm using Windows XP Pro. I do not have to use shift/Ctrl Keys, I just click on properties and the windows calibration opens up shift/Ctrl does nothing different.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
warsign
Captain
Captain

Calibrating joystick

Post by warsign »

Do you use Logitech or Saitek?
Maarschalk
Captain