Dedicated Server Startup Issues

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

Hey there! I'm back! Anyway, I've recently gotten my hands on an awesome dedicated server, hosted in Kansas. I've been testing it, trying to set up several different servers, and they all work fine. Then I tried the EL server program. I got the error:
System Error: ERROR 165. D3D Devices do not support backbuffer bit-depth and HW acceleration
Apparently it needs a graphics card to work. The dedicated machine has a very powerful processor, but no graphics card. The reason for this is that a card is usually never needed to run a server, and every other server I've hosted has worked fine. The program starts up on my home pc, but I don't have a static ip, and I'd rather use the dedi anyway, so I can actually play on it. Why does it need this? Is this because of the GUI? Is there a way around it?
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

No way around it Alpha 45, but I will let Vice explain more when he can.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excerpts from previous info posts:

Quite often, the system just doesn't have 3D drivers installed and/or the system is running Windows Server and the 3D graphics slider needs to be turned up. Even a GeForce 2 or VooDoo5 from 2000 would work, doesn't even require hardware T&L, only very basic 3D functionality.

The multiplayer systems/routines coded in the development language I use are tied into the 3D engine as part of the language, they're interdependent and can't feasibly be removed or separated. So you are running a (albeit very basic) 3D application, the program needs basic 3D functionality. But virtually any 3D card will work, even cards that are now considered antiques.

I did try to back port the program to a different language build that didn't have the 3D dependencies, but it resulted in having to disable certain important functions/features and also lacked support for other required functions.

Future feature additions are coming also that will further necessitate support for basic 3D (involving visual observation/management of map data, player locations, etc). So while it is a server program, it functions as a 3D app and needs at least basic Direct3D support.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Actually this is a issue with Microsoft. Their RDP ( remote Desktop Protocol ) has it's own limited built in version of Direct X, which ( to simplify ) does not have any of the features you need to run the server. If you try to work on a machine using a program that uses RDP you will find the same error every time.

I've looked at this issue several times over the last 4 years, and there are a couple of possible work arounds, but they are shabby, unreliable and have security issues. If you still wish to continue I suggest exploring the joys of VNC and other systems like gotomypc.
I'm fairly certain gotomypc would work, but their licensing for a server machine is way over what I could to expend ( last time I looked it was $1000 ). if the OS on the pc is not a 'server' flavour of MS then you can do it for free ( or cheap).
In the case of VNC again it should work, but there are some hefty security risks, so don't do it if you do anything else on the machine in question.
Both the above cases I've tested on my home networks with some success in each case.

Feel free to U2U me for more details.
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

Apparently, the machine does have the drivers installed, but as Verbosity said, RDP disables Direct3D. The problem is that the machine runs Windows Server 2003, and only Windows 7's RDP has advanced graphics support. Thanks for your help anyway.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
LSeeker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LSeeker »

This is a definite bummer as most people that have dedicated servers are accessed via RDP. The majority of major PC Dedicated server apps are built around this and don't need 3D graphics to perform as dedicated servers.

Hopefully you guys will take this into consideration for future titles.

As for additional features. Once again keep the dedicated server piece without and use pluggins so you can "pluggin" from ala your home PC with these future additional features.

Anyhow I don't mean to sound like I'm griping. Just disappointed. Was hoping to be able to host a server and wont' be able to because of the above limitations.
Vaida
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vaida »

just hit this problem trying to set up a dedicated server on amazon web services (2008 dataserver )
real shame as I don't have another way of hosting handy and I was really trying to get some eve players to come try
If it was at all possible to not require the 3d graphics card / direct3d or w/e you would probably get a lot more servers.
My other game servers are usually command line driven, could these other features perhaps be presented in a browser ? or 'admin' client

my understanding is that station building can on be done on permanent multi player servers ?

fantastic game otherwise, especially as just 1 guy developing! I'll keep an eye for the future

as Lseeker says not griping just a little dissapointed/frustrated