Multiplayer / update issues

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
xingbing1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xingbing1 »

I seem to be having some trouble with multiplayer. When I click the button on the main menu, it takes me to the screen, I click the button which searches for internet games... it tells me I need to update my version of evochron. So I click the link it gives me, download latest version, install it etc. Then I click the multiplayer button again. And it still tells me I need to upgrade to the latest version... but, but, I just did that! What's gone wrong?

Also, on a side note: how does the game keep track of my profile (and the fact that I've bought the game) between different versions? This latest download has got the profile I've been using for a while now on it. On another side note, I've heard it mentioned to send Vice your user profile file if something goes wrong... but there's no file I can find that is to do with that (not that my game is wrong, btw, apart from perhaps the multiplayer thing, above).

So, yeah... please help! :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

This has happened to 1 or 2 other players and I'm not quite sure yet what the cause is. It seems to possibly be related to ISP, location, and/or settings. I'd like to review your system configuration first, which can be done by completing these steps: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/faq.htm#8 When you send the e-mail, please also include the name of your internet service provider.

As for the updating, the installer simply updates the files needed to bring the version you have installed up to the latest. It doesn't delete or overwrite the saved data that contains your profile(s), settings, and registration status. So as long as you don't delete those files from your system, they'll still be there after you update the game. It's also a good idea to back up those files from time to time.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by xingbing1

On another side note, I've heard it mentioned to send Vice your user profile file if something goes wrong... but there's no file I can find that is to do with that (not that my game is wrong, btw, apart from perhaps the multiplayer thing, above).
Check your main Evochron game folder. You should find one file called "pilot0.sw" ... and, if you've created more than one profile, the others will be numbered consecutively (i.e. pilot1.sw, pilot2.sw, etc.).
xingbing1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xingbing1 »

@Vice: okey dokey, I'll do that. I've got some internet filtering software on my computer, might that affect it (it normally pops up with a warning though, and it hasn't said a thing about evochron)

@Marvin: yeah, but there isn't one. I've kept my old installations of evochron, and none of them have a 'pilot0.sw' in. The only one I can find is from some ancient version of the game (possibly the original 'evochron', I got it on an old PC Gamer magazine a while back). But, when I change the first line of the file (where it has 'xingbing1', my username) to 'xingbing2', and then start up the game, it's still 'xingbing1' in the game itself. So I guess that can't be the relevant file.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Originally posted by xingbing1
@Vice: okey dokey, I'll do that. I've got some internet filtering software on my computer, might that affect it (it normally pops up with a warning though, and it hasn't said a thing about evochron)

@Marvin: yeah, but there isn't one. I've kept my old installations of evochron, and none of them have a 'pilot0.sw' in. The only one I can find is from some ancient version of the game (possibly the original 'evochron', I got it on an old PC Gamer magazine a while back). But, when I change the first line of the file (where it has 'xingbing1', my username) to 'xingbing2', and then start up the game, it's still 'xingbing1' in the game itself. So I guess that can't be the relevant file.
I remember one thing I did wrong when I changed my callsign and that is when I saved it I did not change the file type to save as "ALL FILE TYPES" so the file saved under the wrong type and not ".sw" so I never saw the changes I made.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
xingbing1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xingbing1 »

I found it now - I was originally looking at where I'd saved the .exe, not in C:\\sw3dg, which was where the profile was stored. I was just looking in the wrong place! :P
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yep, that happened to most of us...LOL...always looking in the wrong place and that can be a big problem in an infinite Universe....LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

One solution to this problem seems to be running the game as administrator, which allows it to communicate with the listing system on systems that may have certain security/account settings that might otherwise block such a connection. To run the game in this mode, right click on the game's desktop icon, then left click on 'Run as administrator'. This has worked for one player so far as part of a troubleshooting process we went through.
StarWraith 3D Games
Ash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ash »

Hi There,

I have successfully updated a few versions of evochron over the last few months or so but I have recently upgraded to windows 7 and the 64 bit edition. This seemed to lose all my save game data despite me following the required transfer steps and every other bit of information including the Evochron legends file folder being successfully transferred. Evochron legends still loads and I can play in single player mode but when I try to update the version (so I can play in multiplayer mode) it does not direct me to the download page but instead to a locked content page? I have tried to manually go back to the downloads from the starwraith homepage and I can download the new version but when I try to extract these files I get a message

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying GHD3D" the error code is "0x80004005: Unspecified error"

Any ideas I miss the multiplayer lifestyle!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Several points come to mind:

- Did you use a custom save data folder location before? If so, you will need to move the needed profile files to the custom location and include the exact path in the savedir.txt file. If not, check to make sure you've placed the profile files in the correct save data folder, usually c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegends

- If you receive an error message when trying to visit a particular page, copy and paste the entire message into the message body of an e-mail and send it to me.

- The error you posted is not one I'm familiar with, are you running anything else in the background and/or using any restricted user settings?
StarWraith 3D Games
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Ash, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Geeeeeeeeeeeez, I forgot again, Hi Ash, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there when you get the game working.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ash »

In response to
" - If you receive an error message when trying to visit a particular page, copy and paste the entire message into the message body of an e-mail and send it to me.

- The error you posted is not one I'm familiar with, are you running anything else in the background and/or using any restricted user settings? [/quote]"

Point 1 - the page I am trying to visit is the automatic link that you are directed to when you click on the update link to access multiplayer. So its not an error message as such just an AT&T webpage (not sure what that is) with blocked content.

Point 2 - I am running Kaspersky 2010 but it doesn't show its blocking anything or having any interaction with Evochron legends. I'll try turning it off for a second and see if that works.

One more question - when I orignally upgraded from the trial to full game the authorisation etc was sent by email. As I have now upgraded to windows 7 I no longer use Outlook express and have now gone for MS Outlook. I therefore no longer have my old messages. I have been trying to find those old message files in the old operating system files without success. If I can find the original evochron auth codes I was going to delete evochron totally (apart from the pilot profile) and start again with the latest version. Any other ideas how I can get my authorisation re-emailed?
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

send an email to vice with your email address and he should be able to re-send it, details here:
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/faq.htm#23
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Ash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ash »

Thanks folks,

Will await my new auth codes then I'll be back out there.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Good luck....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Just done a top post asking why Multiplayer is not available at the moment - looks like it's been deleted - why?
Image And mad cat
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Server back up all well.
Image And mad cat
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

There was no one on at the time and it seemed like a good opportunity to check some things. Wouldn't you know it, I shut the server down for 20 min and somebody wants to join!
Anyway, all's well that ends well. Server is as good as new!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL......:P..........;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats: