Unlock frame-rate?

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Mithaldu
Ensign
Ensign

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Mithaldu »

I am using an NV GeForce GTX 275 under Windows 7 in a rather powerful system. http://pastie.org/844668

Nevertheless the FPS of the game seems to be stuck at 33 maximum. Is there a way to unlock this? This is a massive problem to me as I am completely used to a hand-eye response time of 16 milliseconds, not the 30 ms i get now. It actually has a slightly nauseating effect.

I have tried playing around with the graphics settings, but to no avail. If there is a special constellation of driver settings + ingame settings I must set to unlock the FPS, I'd be happy to hear about this. (vsync on/off, etc. etc.)

Also, out of plain curiosity: How could you ever have though such a lock was a good idea at all? :( I'd really like to understand the reasoning that drivers developers to do this.

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by Mithaldu]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Mithaldu, Help will arrive soon. Welcome to the forum and the Sim. See you out there sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: From the Readme ...
- SCREEN MODE - This option offers four modes, Optimized (WM), Optimized (WM) Max VSync, Locked (FS), and Locked (FS) Max VSync mode. The Optimized modes run in a window and are generally considered the best modes to run the game in. The locked modes force the game to run in a full screen mode, regardless of what resolution you select. The Optimized modes let you see any Windows dialogue boxes that might open and supports alt-tab to toggle between the game and other applications. Running the game in a Locked mode may cause unpredictable behavior if alt-tab is used, but can allow the game to run in a lower resolution in full screen (although the performance benefit will likely be minimal compared to the Optimized modes running at a higher resolution). The Max VSync options remove the framerate limit so the game can run at framerates up to the refresh rate.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Vice »

I have tried playing around with the graphics settings, but to no avail. If there is a special constellation of driver settings + ingame settings I must set to unlock the FPS, I'd be happy to hear about this. (vsync on/off, etc. etc.)
Next to Screen Mode, select one of the 'Max Vsync' modes to unbind the framerate cap.
Also, out of plain curiosity: How could you ever have though such a lock was a good idea at all? I'd really like to understand the reasoning that drivers developers to do this.
The functional reasons many developers do this (only by default as you can usually unbind it as with this game) can relate to establishing a stable max target framerate for multiplayer object movement prediction, timer calculations, consistent input sampling, reduction of artifacts/tearing, avoid FPS spiking (jerky movement when aiming in FPS's, jumpy object movement, etc), etc. Some games even cap the framerate without the option to change it. On many systems, it's not much of an issue and you can remove any such binding and still get a pretty stable framerate. But on many others (with systems less powerful than yours), the stability and consistency offered by a target maximum can make things smoother and more accurate overall. What is 'good' for you or someone else is subjective, so that's why there is the option to set it to whatever you want. Player tolerances for framerate consistency vary as much as tolerances for maximum FPS, so with settings like that, it's a good idea to support both modes, regardless of which one is default.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Mithaldu
Ensign
Ensign

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Mithaldu »

Originally posted by Vice
Next to Screen Mode, select one of the 'Max Vsync' modes to unbind the framerate cap.
Thanks to you and Marvin for pointing that out. I had indeed missed it. However, as this screenshot shows it doesn't seem to have much an effect: http://i47.tinypic.com/11vpg7t.png
(FPS in top-left corner, and yeah, this is after restarting the game.)
Originally posted by Vice
The functional reasons many developers do this (only by default as you can usually unbind it as with this game) can relate to establishing a stable max target framerate for multiplayer object movement prediction, timer calculations, consistent input sampling, reduction of artifacts/tearing, avoid FPS spiking (jerky movement when aiming in FPS's, jumpy object movement, etc), etc. Some games even cap the framerate without the option to change it. On many systems, it's not much of an issue and you can remove any such binding and still get a pretty stable framerate. But on many others (with systems less powerful than yours), the stability and consistency offered by a target maximum can make things smoother and more accurate overall. What is 'good' for you or someone else is subjective, so that's why there is the option to set it to whatever you want. Player tolerances for framerate consistency vary as much as tolerances for maximum FPS, so with settings like that, it's a good idea to support both modes, regardless of which one is default.
Wow. You make some pretty good points. I'm very sensitive to low framerate, but never imagined that people might be bothered by changes in it. Thanks for the detailed answer. :)

(Though, please consider adding support for optional hardware mouse cursor for the ui on future projects. ;))
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Vice »

Thanks to you and Marvin for pointing that out. I had indeed missed it. However, as this screenshot shows it doesn't seem to have much an effect: http://i47.tinypic.com/11vpg7t.png
(FPS in top-left corner, and yeah, this is after restarting the game.)
Measure the result in-game after you make the change, not in the main menu.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Mithaldu
Ensign
Ensign

Unlock frame-rate?

Post by Mithaldu »

Aaah, that helps. Thanks a lot. :)