New Darkstar One game annnounced!!

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53225 ... -Announced

Kalypso Media today announced that the space combat/adventure title DarkStar One: Broken Alliance is coming to Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. DarkStar One: Broken Alliance is currently in development by Kalypso Media’s own studio Gaming Minds and is scheduled for a summer 2010 release.
DarkStar One: Broken Alliance sees players exploring the vast reaches of space, encountering, battling and trading with six mysterious alien races in a quest to unravel the mysterious death of the protagonist’s father. Players can create their own career paths – be it brigand, mercenary, privateer, merchant or whatever mix they please, while buying (or capturing) alien technology to customise their highly adaptable ship, the DarkStar One, with hundreds of possible combinations of weapons, shields, armour and components.

DarkStar One: Broken Alliance combines fast and furious in-the-cockpit starship combat with a deep storyline involving love, family, betrayal and mysterious alien races. Play as Kayron Jarvis, a young and ambitious space faring adventurer as he attempts to unravel a family mystery, braving the depths of space, encounters mysterious aliens and blasts his enemies to dust in his uniquely customisable ship – the DarkStar One.

Features:

•An open-ended storyline that allows players to choose their path to fortune and glory - play as a privateer, mercenary, smuggler, trader or any combination of these – tweaking your ship's capabilities and tactics to best suit your style of play.

•Fully customise your ship with weapons, engines, shields and over 200 distinct components. Purchase the parts you need, or capture them from enemy ships. Turn the DarkStar One into a heavily armed freighter, fast attack boat, cruiser or whatever you like, all based on a massive variety of customisation options.

•Explore a universe comprised of more than 330 solar systems populated by six distinct alien races, each with their own technology, architecture and space combat tactics. Befriend aliens and trade with them for new equipment, or gun them down and take their technology – the choice is yours.

•A stunning full 1080p HD-powered 3D graphics engine, an intuitive user interface, more than 40 minutes of cut scene storytelling, and over 90 minutes of Dolby® 5.1 channel surround sound music immerse the player in thrilling space combat and unpredictable encounters with alien races and exotic worlds.

•An innovative hybrid gameplay style effortlessly moves the player between story-driven adventure gaming and fierce space battles in full 3D, while a richly developed trading and customisation system seamlessly links the two modes of play.
DarkStar One: Broken Alliance will be available for Xbox 360 and scheduled for a summer 2010 (RRP £44.99).

[Edited on 2-20-2010 by Ohsirus]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Too bad it's only for the Xbox 360. Yet another blow to us PC gamers.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Always hope, since both platforms are similiar.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Yuppers ........I still have the Darkstar One for my PC I really enjoyed playing it and Thanks Oshirus for the Heads up for the upcoming game to be released for Xbox 360 which I just so happen to have :D when I take a break from Evochron series I like playing Mass Effect 1&2 and Dark Void.
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Ugliest ships I've ever seen!

Man, especially green one!

How do people play the game w/o joystick on Xbox?

[Edited on 2-20-2010 by warsign]
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Originally posted by warsign
Ugliest ships I've ever seen!

Man, especially green one!

How do people play the game w/o joystick on Xbox?

Actually there is a Joystick made for use with the Xbox....I saw one the other day at Best Buy here in the US :)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Joysticks are a dying breed. I prefer a gamepad for any fast twitch games. I play EL with a 360 troller. I hate playing games that I can't use a gamepad.

[Edited on 2-20-2010 by Ohsirus]
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

I think we PC guys have to begin practicing to play sim games on consoles! LOL, I don't want to think about that! Thanks god we have Evochron...

I am still suffering while playing even fps games on my console!

I am a joystick guy since 1981! One and only cure for me is plug in a joystick thru the console...

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....I do not like controller consoles...buttons are many times to small and to many and confusing to use imo
and they are not adjustable to hand size, maybe my hands are to big I wear Large or Extra Large winter gloves....and wearing a space suit does not help you with tiny buttons like that....LOL...:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

DarkStar One has been sitting on my shelf, unopened, since I bought it years ago. Someday I will learn to go to a game's forum before buying the product ... and read all the comments, nasty or otherwise. In the case of DS1, it won't be installed due to its rather nasty copy-protection software. Hopefully, the new version uses something less intrusive.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL...Marv.....4 years, DS1 came out in 2006, I do not have it but I read it on its website.......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I have it installed ok, but only fooled with it for a few hrs.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

That's what I thought...:o
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by Maarschalk

LOL...Marv.....4 years, DS1 came out in 2006 ....
:cool: I'm not sure if you consider that to be a long time or a short time. Either way, it's a decade ago, as far as I'm concerned. And, in computer terms, it's about two complete (motherboard, CPU, graphics card, etc.) overhauls ago.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Like you said Marv...the timing is relative to your perspective on long or short....you can see it any way you like.....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

There is a reason that real-life fighter jets use joysticks. They allow fine-tuned movement as well as quick, depending on the requirement.

As for fps games and the like, well, you just can't aim properly with the gamepad. That's why they have the aiming assist feature built-in to the games. Mouse and keyboard are much faster and more accurate for those.

In short, you can keep your game controller, as long as I can keep mine.

Trouble is, all the consoles are sucking up the store shelf space, so I have to ask if they even HAVE a PC section, and am usually disappointed.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: The Wii wands are an improvement, though ... especially for guys (and robots) with uncoordinated thumbs.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

I don't like consoles for that reason mainly. Arcade gamers and casual gamers are their cup of tea....but mine.

I want depth in the games I play and if possibile some realism.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Thanks for sharing, the screen shots in the galary look artificial to me I do not seem to feel as much realism as the screen shots of Evochron.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Too cartoonish to me...:)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by MMaggio

Too cartoonish to me...:)
:cool: Not as cartoonish as STO, I'd think.

That said, IMHO game machines have at least one advantage over computer games: no need to do major, complicated upgrades to your game box or fiddle with graphics settings ... if there is an "upgrade" option, I'd imagine it would be as easy as popping in a larger memory chip.

Then, again, there is also one big disadvantage: limited (if any) ability to mod the game ... no way to change or add different graphics or story lines. Leastwise, none that I know of (not actually owning a game machine, I haven't spent any time surfing the Net to find forums that cater to game machines ... and listing fan-built mods for download).
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Here's my story; I was as hardcore a console gamer as there ever was! I had to have the latest games and the latest systems. I had them all, Atari, Nintendo, Magnavox, Playstation, Sega, etc.
I had hundreds of games for each system and every concievable controller ever made for each system. I was a console game "junkie"!
Then came the announcement of the long awaited "Sega Genisis"! I stood in line at Sears for hours for a chance to pay $300+ dollars for the hottest gaming system available. That was a lot of money back then.
I bought a few games as well, took it home, plugged it in and before I mastered "Sonic Hedghog", the system was obsolete and virtually worthless!
Eventually providence provided me with PS2, but my experience with the Sega Genisis convinced me that it would not be possible to keep up with the evolution of "console game systems".
I am a PC gamer now and have a 5 PC setup that will alow me to play any game in any format ever made!
I can't imagine me ever buying a new console game no matter how highly touted!
Anybody want to buy a slightly used Sega Genisis and a 1/2 dozen games?
That's my story, sad but true...
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL...MMaggio...that is another reason I stayed away from console gaming, no flexibility in control of what you can do with a gaming console it is exclusively for gaming. Why would I pay hundreds of dollars for a seperate gaming system if I already have a PC that I need for other task anyway that I would not be able to do on a gaming console...;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by MMaggio

Then came the announcement of the long awaited "Sega Genisis"!...I bought a few games as well, took it home, plugged it in and before I mastered "Sonic Hedghog", the system was obsolete and virtually worthless!
Same system was called the Sega Mega Drive in Italy ... moving back to the U.S. is what made it obsolete* for my kids (they cut their "game teeth" on that machine). I figured, at the time, that it was a good buy ... that it would take them quite awhile to "master" the first Hedgehog game. Danged if my son didn't help out his older sister and beat it in three days!

* NTSC and PAL don't get along too well unless you have a multi-system TV. Which we did. But I didn't feel like modding a 220v game console to work at 110v. Not that it still matters ... not when you can get emulators for just about any game that played on the Sega.