Mass Effect 2

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Mass Effect 2

Post by tha_rami »

Normally I don't post about games here, especially not non-space-simulation, but this science fiction epos is by far the best game I've ever played. Honestly amazing.

Mass Effect 2 is an action-RPG in which interaction with characters molds the games' progress. Be friendly to a guy, and he might save your life later on in the game. Upgrade your ship, or you might lose a member of your squad when you attack the enemy. There are so many options, so many choices, so many possibilities that I'm baffled how it's even possible.

If you like RPG's or would love to see how an interactive science-fiction movie would look, it's a must have. Available both on Xbox 360 and PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
SDWeimer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by SDWeimer »

I have haven't been able to get it to work on my pc :mad: but i convinced my wife to let me buy a new one with our tax return (if we get one) :cool:, like I needed her permission in the first place.:D:D:D
Clan [Universal Explorers]
[UE]SDWeimer
Legend---Fleet Admiral<-Legends
Legend---Fleet Admiral<-Mercernary
warsign
Captain
Captain

Mass Effect 2

Post by warsign »

This is not a game. It is a living thing.

Official site. Better watch videos from there.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

[Edited on 2-6-2010 by warsign]
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by alpha45 »

Is it really that good? I'm considering buying it. Does it have the same level of freedom and exploration as Fallout 3 or Oblivion? They allow you to be whoever you want, explore a massive world any way you want, and both are easily moddable, giving both lots of potential for growth. They also have lots of places not related to the main quest. While most games make you visit cities one by one, both Fallout and Oblivion have dozens of places you'd never even know existed unless you go exploring. Dozens of massive quests and cities you can only find by wandering off the set path. You never get tired of them, cause even when you do all the quests and find all the secrets, somebody makes an addon that adds many, many more quests, new cities, and some silly new features (obliterating crowds of Elves with a grenade launcher FTW!). Can Mass Effect 2 really satisfy to that level? I need the honest opinion of someone who has played it, because videos can't express the feel of a game.

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by alpha45]
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Mass Effect 2

Post by Maarschalk »

Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing Tha_rami....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Mass Effect 2

Post by tha_rami »

Is it really that good? I'm considering buying it. Does it have the same level of freedom and exploration as Fallout 3 or Oblivion? They allow you to be whoever you want, explore a massive world any way you want, and both are easily moddable, giving both lots of potential for growth. They also have lots of places not related to the main quest. While most games make you visit cities one by one, both Fallout and Oblivion have dozens of places you'd never even know existed unless you go exploring. Dozens of massive quests and cities you can only find by wandering off the set path. You never get tired of them, cause even when you do all the quests and find all the secrets, somebody makes an addon that adds many, many more quests, new cities, and some silly new features (obliterating crowds of Elves with a grenade launcher FTW!). Can Mass Effect 2 really satisfy to that level? I need the honest opinion of someone who has played it, because videos can't express the feel of a game.
Mass Effect 2 is not, by any means, a freeform game as you know it. It is a narratively driven game that progresses the story mostly by interaction with characters. However, the game allows you to, indeed, wander off the set path.

Actually, I can give you an example. While you can't advance to the final battle before you acquire a certain item, you can acquire the item at pretty much any point in the game. If you'd decide to go to the final battle, any of your crew members, your ship or you can be killed or destroyed, depending on what you did and what you didn't in the course of the game, how prepared you are for the battle and how much information you've gathered.

There are many, many side-quests, places to explore - but it's definitely not Fallout or Oblivion. It's better. It's a full world with a full story with full consequences and full characters. It's not the sandbox that they filled up with random characters, but a consequent universe.

Mass Effect can not or barely be modded. It's an experience that shouldn't be edited, honestly, the voice acting and acting is amazing. Modders would need an unequalled amount of resources to come even close to the level of quality presented in the game.

If I may suggest anything, it is to play the less perfect (actually, 'flawed diamond' would be the right term) but also impressive Mass Effect before starting on the sequel. The savegame from Mass Effect can be imported in the second part of the trilogy and does have actual and significant effects depending on your choices, actions and interactions in the game. Since Mass Effect is a budget-title at this point, it would really, really increase your experience of the game.

Like said, I've played a lot of games in the course of my life and development as game designer, but this is the best I've ever been playing. My choices actually effect the universe and the people who live in it. That feeling is unmatched.
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by alpha45 »

Originally posted by tha_rami
Mass Effect 2 is not, by any means, a freeform game as you know it. It is a narratively driven game that progresses the story mostly by interaction with characters. However, the game allows you to, indeed, wander off the set path.

Actually, I can give you an example. While you can't advance to the final battle before you acquire a certain item, you can acquire the item at pretty much any point in the game. If you'd decide to go to the final battle, any of your crew members, your ship or you can be killed or destroyed, depending on what you did and what you didn't in the course of the game, how prepared you are for the battle and how much information you've gathered.

There are many, many side-quests, places to explore - but it's definitely not Fallout or Oblivion. It's better. It's a full world with a full story with full consequences and full characters. It's not the sandbox that they filled up with random characters, but a consequent universe.

Mass Effect can not or barely be modded. It's an experience that shouldn't be edited, honestly, the voice acting and acting is amazing. Modders would need an unequalled amount of resources to come even close to the level of quality presented in the game.

If I may suggest anything, it is to play the less perfect (actually, 'flawed diamond' would be the right term) but also impressive Mass Effect before starting on the sequel. The savegame from Mass Effect can be imported in the second part of the trilogy and does have actual and significant effects depending on your choices, actions and interactions in the game. Since Mass Effect is a budget-title at this point, it would really, really increase your experience of the game.

Like said, I've played a lot of games in the course of my life and development as game designer, but this is the best I've ever been playing. My choices actually effect the universe and the people who live in it. That feeling is unmatched.
Sounds interesting, gonna check it out.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by Ohsirus »

I just beat Mass Effect after owning it for what seems like years. Mass Effect 2 hype and the ability of your decisions from the oriignal being carried over had me intrigued. I hated Mass Effect at first (Xbox360 loong elevator load times) so I played the pc version and got hooked once I left the Citadel. Truly good story driven game. NOt a fan of FPS, but it's different in that the story sucks you in. Truly worthy sci-fi game. I'm downloading ME2 off steam as we speak.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Mass Effect 2

Post by tha_rami »

The elevators do not return, there's even an easteregg about the many people who hated them.

Personally, I feel that it's not necessarily the story, it's the characters that suck you in - either way, it's awesome.

You won't be disappointed. Don't forget to load in your old save-game.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Mass Effect 2

Post by verbosity »

Personally, I feel that it's not necessarily the story, it's the characters that suck you in - either way, it's awesome.
yeah it's utterly addictive, I didn't want it to be, in fact I wanted to dislike it, but you can't.
The game play is finely balanced, and the control method works a treat, you get easy access to your powers and the ability to order your teammates even during heated gameplay.
the characters are great ( the doc is just fantastic! ) while the overall story itself isn't up to that much, and is created in such a way that what you've done in mass effect 2 will have big implications in mass effect 3. the graphics are darn good, the sets fantastic and the actors doing the voices! ( once again bioware gets in some big names, Martin Sheen , Micheal Dorn, Yvonne Strahovski , Carrie-Anne Moss and I'm fairly sure I heard Claudia Black in there too ).
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by Ohsirus »

I just love the Normandy!
Scavenger4711
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mass Effect 2

Post by Scavenger4711 »

Same opinion here! :)
But I think another thing that makes Mass Effect so special are the cuscenes. It never was more fun for me watching a cutscene in ME than in any other game. :cool:

I really look forward to Mass Effect 3 ;)