Short - Would you see the universe, in a drop of water?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Refracted by the tiniest drop of water, there was the widest range of color imaginable. As the sphere of water slowly floated around, it vividly refracted bright, blue streaks and warm, red ones. Flashing strokes of yellow and green reached the eyes of a lone man sitting, breathlessly admiring the subtle and astonishing summary of the universe.

Beyond the drop of water, which was barely larger than a star against the background of space, was an unimaginable amount of such stars against the colors of the universe. Interrupted only by fleeting, hurrying shadows, the shift in focus from the tiny drop to the endless reaches of the universe dizzied the mans conciousness. In this fleeting moment, he knew that in the larger scheme of things, nothing he had ever done would ever mean anything. Nothing humanity as a collective could do would ever mean anything.

The stars would watch over our futile attempts, laugh. Entire systems would be obliterated by Human and Vonarian weaponry, races would go extinct – and some of the stars might die off, but their legions would keep watching. Until, long after everything has turned to nothing, even the most powerful of stars would dim to darkness.

He swore he could see it happening right in front of his eyes, beyond the remains of shattered glass. One star after another turned black, some suddenly disappearing into nothing, some softly blurring into the pitch-black backdrop of space – the same space that had seemed so colorful just seconds ago. The raindrop had lost its colors, no longer refracting any light. The man was alone with the stars, now.

He noticed a trend in the disappearing stars. On the edges of his vision the stars softly faded away, but the stars right in front of him appeared to be suddenly disappearing into an increasingly large black shape. The shape was higher than it was wide – in all his nightmares had he not encountered something that resembled the physical shape of a bad omen.

In this omen, there were red lines. Some short, some longer, but all of them blurry and unsharp. Although at this point, he realized, everything was blurry. There was grey; cold, merciless gray.

The man looked at his hands – his powerless, numb hands. No longer did he feel the excruciating pain of the metal stake that penetrated through glass, suit, bone and flesh. There was an image on the glove, the image of the mercenary guild. He had served them honorably, fought their enemies and defended their interests for many years.

As he looked up, there were no stars. There was nothing besides the blackness that had been closing in on him. The darkness of the omen of death coming to take him. In this total darkness, the pilot closed his eyes, not expecting any colors ever again.

[Edited on 24-1-2010 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Trip
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Trip »

Very touching.
I enjoyed reading it. The visual imagery was spectacular.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Sounds somewhat similar to a story from the '70s (I think): "The World of a Raindrop".

To cut the long story short: Tens of thousands of feet up, a raindrop formed. Within the raindrop life began; planetary systems, galaxies, even space travel developed. Galaxies collided, massive wars were fought, until, eventually, there was peace, and equilibrium --- then the raindrop went splat on a pavement!

A study on the microcosm and the macrocosm.
Image And mad cat
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

That sounds fun. Can't find it on google, sadly :(.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

I think that it will be long out of print by now.
Image And mad cat
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Sounds like a Doug Adams story. Similar to the whale that appeared after using the Improbability Drive.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

I think I consider that a huge compliment :).
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Very cool story,.......well done....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

It's stories like this that get me thinking. Is our universe really as big as we think it is? Why are we here? How did we get here? What if our universe, with all it's planets, stars and galaxies, were really something as insignificant as a raindrop? What if we were nothing more than a plaything of some highly advanced race, who looked down upon us as we would a colony of ants?

Then I noticed this:

I realized just how minor and insignificant we are. Our planet is a raindrop, and the universe is a storm that stretches out for all eternity. If our planet were to suddenly be destroyed, the universe wouldn't care. The universe wouldn't even notice. All our accomplishments, all our sacrifices, our discoveries, the knowledge we have collected over the millennia, would all amount to nothing. Billions, if not trillions of other worlds exist, have existed before us, and will exist after we are gone. What makes us so special?

Just another drop of rain.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: How true. Still, the universe could've used one more good Beatles song.
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

What makes us so special?
Maybe the universe was created specially just for us....

-Accountant
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

Originally posted by Accountant
What makes us so special?
Maybe the universe was created specially just for us....

-Accountant
Maybe. There's no way to know. However the universe is massive. And I mean massive. Most people are literally unable to comprehend, just how how big it is. The Evochron system is a very scaled down galaxy. Ignoring the off-scale measurements, the size is about the same as our solar system. That's how big space is. How long would it take you to fly from one system to another, without jumping? Months. The Pluto probe was launched in 2006, and while traveling at 52,000 mph (lot faster than the ships in EL), it's still only halfway there. On a smaller scale, getting to the moon in a manned rocket takes three days. All that's just our solar system. Those pictures of star-filled skies? Every last one is it's own solar system. It's a star, being orbited by planets, comets and asteroids. These are the ones we can see. We live in a sparse, barely populated (by stars) edge of a regular, uncommon galaxy which contains billions of other stars, in a cluster of thousands of other galaxies, which is just one of thousands of clusters in a supercluster, which is one of millions in the universe. We barely know anything about our own solar system, let alone the universe. Heck, we still don't fully understand our own planet. How can we honestly think that all this was created just for us? It's understandable for a person to consider this, to at least hope that this is true (I know I do), but when you look around you, you realize thinking it doesn't make it true. It's why we try to find some purpose in life, how we instinctively learn how to enjoy the little things, or how some of us take the easy path and just assume the world was created for them, and violently attack anyone who suggests otherwise. Because if we didn't, if we just sat there until we fully understood our insignificance, we would go insane.

Ever see this?

That's the picture the quote from before was describing. That blue dot, is Earth. That's a photo taken by the Voyager near Pluto. The beams of light are caused by a reflection off the probe.

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves."

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

According to the Phrophets the Creator states "I created the whole universe for the creation and existence of Mankind" The creation can never understands the creator and its purpose. Just like a table or house made by the carpenter can not understand the carpenter and the purpose of their creation. Never the less, both the house and the table have a purpose. At least the Phrophets and Manifestations of our Creator give us guidance and knowledge about our Creator wheater we like it or not or are willing to listen is up to our free will given to us by our creator. And the only way we can learn about our Creator is through His Manifestations being pure, clean and perfect mirrors reflecting the attributes of our Creator. This is the only safe way to get to know our Creator. Just like mirrors and telescopes and probes are a safe way for us to study and learn about our sun, solar system and universe. It would be impossible for us physiccaly to get to close to our sun...we would sease to exist...;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves."
I think this quote is a manifestation of the different views we share. I understand what you are saying. We really are just a tiny speck in the great cosmos. If you don't believe in anything greater than ourselves then it is easy to despair because, really, what is the point of it all? But whereas you and/or the person you quoted are seeing the earth from the entirety of the universe, I am viewing the universe as a truly magnificent and breathtaking gift designed for our wonderment. I truly believe we have a privileged position in the universe. We are privileged because it was all built for us. You can despair at how infinitely small we are or wonder at how infinitely vast the universe is. It is a very slight difference in viewpoint, but it makes all the difference in the world.

-Accountant

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by Accountant]

Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Nice one...
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

I think its only up to yourself to decide what you think of the size of the universe.

I mean, I disagree with my main character, but that didn't make him less worthwhile to write. :)
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

I think this quote is a manifestation of the different views we share. I understand what you are saying. We really are just a tiny speck in the great cosmos. If you don't believe in anything greater than ourselves then it is easy to despair because, really, what is the point of it all? But whereas you and/or the person you quoted are seeing the earth from the entirety of the universe, I am viewing the universe as a truly magnificent and breathtaking gift designed for our wonderment. I truly believe we have a privileged position in the universe. We are privileged because it was all built for us. You can despair at how infinitely small we are or wonder at how infinitely vast the universe is. It is a very slight difference in viewpoint, but it makes all the difference in the world.

-Accountant

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by Accountant]
Excellent point. Also, the way you act on your viewpoint can change everything. While my opinion does seem pretty negative, it does have a positive side. Instead of giving up and becoming depressed, I consider it to be a challenge. A challenge to stand up and prove our worth. To prove ourselves important and help the human race reach it's full potential. I believe that even though we aren't that significant, it's up to us to make ourselves a significant presence. The universe may not be ours, but it's up to us to get out there and make it ours. To understand it, to own it. To control it. Simply assuming it's ours isn't enough. If there is a creator, maybe that's his intention for making the universe so big and mysterious. To give his creation a chance to prove itself.

Delicious brains!
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

@Tha_Rami
Good point. The view of the main character also didn't make it any less enjoyable to read. Thanks for sharing :)

@alpha45
That makes sense, and how you act is also very important. I think it is important that we continue to try to understand, control, and own the universe. Not only do I think the universe is a great gift, but I also think it is the coolest sandbox ever :D Even though my view assumes the universe is ours, it also leaves room for us to us to rise to the challenges the universe provides. The three main monotheistic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) all share the first five books of the Bible and therefore all share the same command give in Genesis to subdue the world and rule over it. I think this could also easily apply to the universe as well.

-Accountant

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

The three main monotheistic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) all share the first five books of the Bible and therefore all share the same command given in Genesis to subdue the world and rule over it. I think this could also easily apply to the universe as well.
-Accountant
I like to Add 3 other monotheistic main Religions that share the same Universal Ideas. Budhism, Hinduism and the Baha'i Faith. Both Budhism and Hinduism where originnaly, are and where ment to be monotheistic Religions by their founders. The Baha'i Faith incorporates all major Religions as coming from the same one Source our Divine Creator. If there is only one Creator then all Manifestions or Phrophets of these Religions must come from the same one Source and have the same Universal message.........;)

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Rami, great story! I like your style.

Maarschalk, I agree that the creation cannot understand the creator. The universe, as we know it, has spatial and chronological boundaries, beyond which we cannot gather information. You can think of it, therefore, as a 4th dimensional box. What exists outside the box is impossible for us to know, just as it is impossible for vonari to know anything about the real world outside the video game in which they exist, or even for them to know about the computer it runs on, or silicon, for that matter. So, there are definite limits to what we can know about the universe.

If it was created, then it was created by someone outside this 4d box. Therefore, there is no way for us to know about that creator unless that creator communicates with us. We can't reach outside our box, but must hope that someone from outside reaches in. Nor, can we trust other people's experiences, for how can we verify or validate whether someone else has had this contact? I do not believe this is possible.

Therefore, I take the messaging from prophets with a grain of salt. Maybe they had genuine contact, maybe not. It is impossible for me to know. I only know about my own experiences, and I would never expect to convince others that they are genuine.

As for Buddhism, I thought Gautama regarded his teachings as philosophy, rather than religion, and that it fell more within the area of atheism than monotheism.

For Hinduism, I believe you are right: it is a monotheistic religion, but I don't think that most people (even people who practice Hinduism) regard it this way.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

These are very deep and genuine thoughts Nigel. We can in no way convince others of our beliefs we can only convince ourself by independant investigation of the truth. That is why as I understand it our Creator has given us free will so as not to blindly follow others, but to listen with our own ears, see with our own eyes and not through some one elses. If our Creator created us with a goal and purpose in mind He would make sure He would provide us with the means to make this known to us and would provide us with the knowledge through learning and His teachings to make it possible for us to reach our goal, destination and purpose. Therefore our Creator sends us Special Teachers, Prophets or as some call them Manifestations because they Manifest Attributes and Qualities of our Creator and their sole purpose is to educate mankind both spiritually and physically. Just like physically we need food and water and material means to grow and develop so does our Soul need spiritual food and means to grow and develop. If it was not for these Teachers, Manifestations we would still be living like animals in the stone age. And the only way for us to get to know our Creator is through His Manifestations because they have been created for that purpose. And all the Founders, Phrophets of all Major Relligions make refference to and accept and confirm the Religions that had come before them and prophecize about the coming of the next Teacher because they have been pre ordained by our Creator. Mozes reffered to these prophecies to make his claim, Christ reffered to these prophecies, so did Mohammed, The Báb and Bahá'u'lláh the Founders of the Báhá'i Faith. For example Christ promised he would return in the Glory of the Father meaning in the Glory of God. Bahá'u'lláh's title is Arabic for Glory of God.....I could go on and on into detail about many of these prophecies made by the different Manifestations making their claim to be the next promised one with proofs from the phrophecies made by the older Religions........ If you want the truth it is out there and we all have been given the free will, tools and education to read and investigate the truth for ourselves if we are willing to do so.....;)

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Thanks Nigel and everybody else, I appreciate the compliments :)
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Rami, you have stimulated this, provided its seed. Now watch in horror as it spirals off into the treacherous waters of religion and philosophy.

I always find these discussion interesting, but sooner or later, someone gets their feelings hurt.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Nigel_Strange
Rami, you have stimulated this, provided its seed. Now watch in horror as it spirals off into the treacherous waters of religion and philosophy.

I always find these discussion interesting, but sooner or later, someone gets their feelings hurt.
I agree, and the Universe itself is a treacherous place and deeper then the deepest waters... I hope I did not hurt any ones feelings by sharing my understanding of creation of the universe and its purpose.....I just pray for the well being, happiness and peace for all...;););););)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

Originally posted by Maarschalk
Originally posted by Nigel_Strange

I agree, and the Universe itself is a treacherous place and deeper then the deepest waters... I hope I did not hurt any ones feelings by sharing my understanding of creation of the universe and its purpose.....I just pray for the well being, happiness and peace for all...;););););)
No worries. I didn't find anything wrong with your statements. We were just having an honest, clear discussion about our ideas on a topic. As a matter of fact I enjoyed it. Everyone spoke openly, without resorting to insults and flames. You had an open mind, considered others points, and gave excellent, intelligent responses.

To get an idea of how most discussions like this usually turn out, check the comments section of any YouTube video concerning a touchy topic. That didn't happen here, which shows you are mature, considerate people who (unlike many other people on the internet) are quite capable of having a good discussion. It makes me proud to be part of this little online community we've got here.

Delicious brains!