Nvidia 3d Vision Support

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
bluesilver30
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by bluesilver30 »

Anyone know if this is supported? Vice, any plans to make it so if not?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Marvin »

If you're talking about the old ability for nVidia cards to be used with a variety of 3-D glasses, I believe it works with just about any game that manipulates 3-D polygons to display 2-D images. All you need is the proper hardware.
bluesilver30
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by bluesilver30 »

nah, i'm talking about nvidia's own 3d glasses.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

unless the game is coded for it, while there will be 3d, you could have some annoying problems. for example, lights on another spaceship that should be 50 meters out in space, appearing to be right in front of you because they are not coded to have 3 dimensions.

figure with this games small footprint, there may be a lot of "tricks" like that which make trying 3d pointless.

on a side note, anyone use logitech's g940 joystick with this game? any luck?
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by alpha45 »

Oh yeah, I've heard about that thing. Had the same problem in Left 4 Dead, where the survivors' glow is rendered in front of everything else. It really disoriented players, and Valve had to release a patch to allow compatibility. EL doesn't look like it will have this problem, since I haven't noticed any sort of special effect being rendered in front of the object it's supposed to be a part of. I don't think you'll have a problem here.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Marvin »

Well, the Readme for the Customizing Kit says this about overlays for the console monitors:
gauges.txt = 1st value sets the left display's vertical position, default is 0.0
2nd value sets the left display's horizontal position, default is 0.0
3rd value sets the left display's rotation angle, default is 20
4th value sets the center display's vertical position, default is 0.0
5th value sets the center display's horizontal position, default is 0.0
6th value sets the center display's rotation angle, default is 0
7th value sets the right display's vertical position, default is 0.0
8th value sets the right display's horizontal position, default is 0.0
9th value sets the right display's rotation angle, default is 20
10th value sets the target object's vertical position, default is 1.98
11th value sets the target object's horizontal position, default is 2.77
12th value sets the 3D radar sphere's vertical position, default is 0.0
13th value sets the 3D radar sphere's horizontal position, default is 0.0
14th value set the left display's distance, default is 0.0
15th value set the center display's distance, default is 0.0
16th value set the right display's distance, default is 0.0
17th value set the target object's distance, default is 0.0
18th value set the 3D radar sphere's distance, default is 0.0
Note the "distance" values for 14 thru 18.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by bluesilver30
unless the game is coded for it, while there will be 3d, you could have some annoying problems. for example, lights on another spaceship that should be 50 meters out in space, appearing to be right in front of you because they are not coded to have 3 dimensions.
I don't know enough to state one way or another in regards to nvidia's 3d, but the vast majority of the lighting in legends is sourced properly, EG. the light hitting off a station is set to come from the sun ( rather than another artificial light source which is a gimmick often used in games), as far as I know this is a general rule that applies to the whole game ( some small exceptions, for instance inside of stations might apply).
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Vice »

Just a guess, but I suspect the game will work well with such technology, so long as the device(s) and drivers support the rendering system of the game. Since there are essentially no 'post-process'/'deferred' scene effects, the 3D objects are rendered in what could be described as a 'pure' form, so depth sorting should be pretty accurate... again, depending on how the device(s) implements the 3D effect. Best way to know for sure is to try it.
on a side note, anyone use logitech's g940 joystick with this game? any luck?
Should work fine. The game supports multiple control devices (up to 10 simultaneous devices), so even if the G940 isn't identified by Windows as a single device, you can still set individual device axis input to the function you want.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by alpha45 »

There you have it. Since there aren't any post-processing effects, or any rendering tricks, the 3d thing should work fine. The items on the HUD are supposed to be at the front, so it's no problem. Like Vice said, you should just try it out and see.

Vice: According to Nvidia, as long as the game uses proper 3d graphics handled by the graphics card, it should work fine.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
bluesilver30
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by bluesilver30 »

Thanks for the input. I'm awaiting a new computer to come in. When it does (should be later this month) I'll come back and let you know how it all goes. I'm going to be using track IR 5 with it, so I'm expecting the effect to be pretty cool. I'll give my impressions when it's all said and done.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Ohsirus »

I thought about getting NVidia's 3d Vision, but my monitor's incapable of the 120 hz needed and it's such a nice monitor I don't want to part with it. I'm curious what kind of setup you're getting/got?

Just read this interesting post.

As many of you know, this year’s CES is will be remembered as “that year we got 3D in everything.� Surprisingly, 3D gaming has been around for over a year, but only within the last few days have we seen anything specifically about PC monitors capable of 3D viewing at full HD (1920 x 1080). Until now, both announced 3D monitors have been 22-inch displays with resolutions of 1680 x 1050.

Both Acer and Alienware introduced their own 3D displays, at 23.6-inches and 23-inches respectively, and both have full HD resolutions. Thankfully, these 120Hz displays won’t cost too much. Current pricing is $400 and $500 respectively, with the Alienware machine touted specifically for gamers. It includes a four-pronged USB hub. For serious PC gamers who enjoy 3D gaming, this is the next step you’ve been waiting for.

[Edited on 1-15-2010 by Ohsirus]
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Daedalao »

I had a pair of original nvidia 3d glasses back in the 2001/2002 time frame... sorry, "3d" gaming has been around a lot longer than most will admit.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
I thought about getting NVidia's 3d Vision, but my monitor's incapable of the 120 hz needed and it's such a nice monitor I don't want to part with it. I'm curious what kind of setup you're getting/got?

Just read this interesting post.

As many of you know, this year’s CES is will be remembered as “that year we got 3D in everything.� Surprisingly, 3D gaming has been around for over a year, but only within the last few days have we seen anything specifically about PC monitors capable of 3D viewing at full HD (1920 x 1080). Until now, both announced 3D monitors have been 22-inch displays with resolutions of 1680 x 1050.

Both Acer and Alienware introduced their own 3D displays, at 23.6-inches and 23-inches respectively, and both have full HD resolutions. Thankfully, these 120Hz displays won’t cost too much. Current pricing is $400 and $500 respectively, with the Alienware machine touted specifically for gamers. It includes a four-pronged USB hub. For serious PC gamers who enjoy 3D gaming, this is the next step you’ve been waiting for.

[Edited on 1-15-2010 by Ohsirus]
Thanks for info, I wonder how 3d will work with Track IR. Must be incredible.......:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Vice »

"3d" gaming has been around a lot longer than most will admit.
Wil Wheaton even used to promote a product called X3D a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whm9WsaEPgk
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
bluesilver30
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by bluesilver30 »

Originally posted by Daedalao
I had a pair of original nvidia 3d glasses back in the 2001/2002 time frame... sorry, "3d" gaming has been around a lot longer than most will admit.
To clear things up, I used E-Dimensional 3D products back in the day. Along with the first generation of trackIR... Let's just say, both were very young.

The NVidia vision 3d is nice, not because the technology is that new or anything, but because major developers are actually supporting them (because they have to mostly), which means most games won't look like shit while you're trying to play. Very big advantage for the 3d technology. So yes, it's been around, but no, it hasn't been very good.

The old trackIR was not very good, just one dimension, which left a lot of error if you moved out of a very stiff position. I'm looking forward to trying the new "6 degrees of freedom" along with the newer 3D technology. Can't wait!

But for those who say "been there, done that!" back in the early 2000's, trust me. Just as any computer simulation has improved since then, so has the 3d technology that makes it look great. I'll give my impressions on the change from back then till now, as well as how well it works for first timers later this month.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Ohsirus »

Hmm..you got me peaked now. I thought about the plunge, but like I posted earlier the monitors that were available were limited to 1680x1050 and 22in which is a downgrade for me. I just need for Nvidia to release Ferma so I can work on what my next move will be.

I have a TrackIr5 Pro and I love it (LED Clip FTW) and Creative Fata1ity Headphones, If I add 3dVision to my list of peripherals I might as well incorporate them all into some kind of Helmet.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Maarschalk »

Wow...lot of info here...LOL...now need only the cash to be able to aford it....:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Ohsirus »

Funny you posted the VR920, I looked at a bunch of vision wrapwears last week on Amazon. Got quickly turned off once I researched them.

Juat researched Nvidias 3dVision over on FiringSquad alil more and read that once enabled you take a performance hit of 1/2 and thats on a GTX260 WoW!. Also seems to suffer from visual hiccups and reduced visual quality. Think I'm going to wait and see what new 3D products hit the scene since Avatar has created such an interest.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by verbosity »

Avatar 3D was made using polarised light ( one eye of the glasses filters out horizontal, the other filters out vertical ) it'll likely be a while before that tech is built into screens.

LG already has one in production, it uses 'shutter' lenses rather than polarised ones...

[Edited on 1-15-2010 by verbosity]
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by MMaggio »

All those 3D glasses and helmets are nice. But what about us "optically challenged" ie: we who wear classes?
I have tried wearing some of those 3D glasses and they don't fit comfortably over regular glasses. I had to pass.:(
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL.....Now that I'm older and wearing reading glasses it would be a problem with those 3D Glasses/Devices...:(
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by BraveHart »

Originally posted by Eclipse
Anaglyph displays are easiest for those that wear spectacles, they make lens clip-ons for regular glasses.
That's Good to know....Thanks Eclipse :)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Gouitsu
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Gouitsu »

I've been experamenting with my Nvidia3D vision discover (Anaglyph). The glasses I baught are absolutley useless, the cyan does'nt filter out the red so all I get is ghosting with no 3D. SO using a blue marker I made an extra filter to go over the cyan, It works, but not amazingly still get slight ghosting, but however It does looks cool when it is 3D.

The game that works atm the best is "The Void" due to its surreal environments, twisted trees and stuff.

I've tryed using it in evochron but it does'nt seam to activate (ctrl + t) so im not sure whats going on here.

But yeh deffinatly looking forward to some 3D gaming in the future.
Admiral Sindari
Ensign
Ensign

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Admiral Sindari »

Romulan uses two 9600GT's in SLI mode and is a firm follower of stereoscopic 3D. He enjoys a lot of games that use it and has done so for a while now.

If you have an Nvidia card designed for DirectX 10 (8800 or better, Windows XP, Vista, Win7), and you update to the latest driver release you might find something new in the Nvidia Contro Panel: Stereoscopic 3D glasses support. (set up Stereoscopic 3D)

There are two methods of producing the stereoscopic 3D effect that are supported. The first requires a special 3D ready monitor with an operating frequency of 120Hz, (60Hz for each eye) a set of high-tech wireless shutter glasses that open and close shutters on either eye, and an IR device that triggers the glasses. Nvidia calls this method Nvidia 3D Vision.

The other method is to use a pair of red/cyan glasses, normally called anaglyph 3D, or as Nvidea calls it, 3D Vision Discover. This method will work on any monitor regardless of it's frequency. It automatically converts any game that uses Direct 3D, to 3D anaglyph, but with mixed results. It does not work with Open GL. (so sorry Google Earth fans)

The mixed results depend on each individual game. For example, in Guild Wars the stereoscopic 3D looks fine but the text labels on the screen are not in 3D and look wrong. Also much of the text is in bright primary colors that degrade with the red / cyan glasses. Some other games suffer the same problems so the system is not perfect.

Other Direct 3D games work really well. Tomb Raider Underworld looks fantastic and race games are amazing fun in Anaglyph 3D.

Because all of this is handled at the Nvidia driver level, no game has to be rewritten to work, it just has to use Direct 3D. Older games can also work well without having to be rewritten.

By the way, these 120Hz LCD monitors are not just for Stereoscopic 3D. With one of these monitors, ordinary 2D games, especially ones with lots of fast movement, not only run faster and smoother, but most if not all ghosting and screen lag dissapear. Well worth a look even if you don't use 3D.

Unfortunately there is no stereoscopic 3D effect with EL when using Nvidia 3D Vision Discover, and Romulan has not been able to try it with the 3D Vision shutter glasses.

The Romulan Stores Management System known locally here as H.I.F.E. (Her Indoors that Fails to appreciate Evochron) has refused to sign the requisition order.

If you are interested, this link will take you to Nvidia's list of compatible and rated 3D games.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

HAIL ROMULAN!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by MMaggio »

HAH! Even Romulans have to play second fiddle to their wives!
I did not know that.;)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nvidia 3d Vision Support

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Also, their mothers. That's how they got the long ears ... from momma dragging young Rommies into the house, by the ear, to do their chores and homework.