Connection Stability with my Terrible ISP

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Gouitsu
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gouitsu »

I find that some games I play become vulnerable to traffic shaping, I believe that Evochron is also one of them. you see during the evenings, 5pm - 12am GMT my connection speed reduces significantly, some game become laggy and unplayable.

Im considering changing my ISP, but I have a couple more issues... My town, being the waste of space on the map that it is only has access to the most basic internet packages... most basic internet packages have traffic shaping... but that isnt all.

This next problem isnt too much of an issue but it does'nt help while Sky's crappy traffic shaping system is harrasing my gameplay.

I live on the edge of my town.

Towards the center of my town the max speed's we can get I believe is 8MBps, Fair enough good for gaming. But, I only get about 2.5MB where I am. Thats probably at best then (It has known to be slightly faster.), Then traffic shaping skips its way down my line and cuts it down to about 0.5MB.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good provider in the UK for basic packages. Id be quite pleased with a 2MB package aslong as it does'nt have traffic shaping. Afterall I only get 3MB max on rare occasions, my average is 2.5MB

Do the good people of the StarWraith forums have any advice? And possibly know of any providers that dont fiddle with the traffic of some of my not very well known games.

[Edit]

I belive I have found my solution http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml

Im still open for advice.

[Edit]

Looks like Im back to square 1, I think I would use more than 20GB a month. Tho it is still a potential option.

The only other way round this issue is if I could connect to the game through a proxy server to bypass the traffic shaping.

[Edited on 8-1-2010 by Gouitsu]
Gouitsu
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gouitsu »

I think I would be subject to traffic shaping again, alot of games I play arnt classes as games on alot of traffic shaping systems, they get put in "Other" and slowed down.

I imagin evochron is one of them, I really wanna play online aswell but cant between 5pm and 12am.

And sky broadbands technical staff are like robots. They dont know much beyond their training. Lol its like they have cue cards for each questions.

Either way I cant change my connection till July. Stupid contracts.

Unless theres some way I can use a proxy to connect to the servers.

[Edited on 8-1-2010 by Gouitsu]
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alpha45 »

I've got the same problem. I have a T-Mobile mobile broadband dongle, and when I pass the 3GB limit (happens on the first day) my connection is slow between 4pm-12am GMT. Also, during this time, I can't stream movies or play games online. I can't play anything on Steam at any time of day, since the dongle doesn't let me open the required ports.
Originally posted by Eclipse
You might check out Plusnet Premium with 80GB usage (and free usage between 00:00 and 08:00 for large downloads).
Hmmm... you know, that looks pretty good. Seems like the perfect plan for me. The wireless router is an awesome idea, since my student accommodation doesn't have any landlines (not any I can use anyway). The price is freaking awesome (At least compared to those bloodsucking thieves back home). Thanks Eclipse!
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Gouitsu
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gouitsu »

I got a program called proxifier, and im using an open proxy to connect to the game. If im right in my assumtion, I connect to this proxy on a different port than the games, and the data is relayed through the proxy bypassing the traffic management.

But I need to test it properly.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

I'm in the UK too. I use Virgin broadband (cable); reasonably priced, very few outages, and I get a steady 10mb service.
Image And mad cat
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I hope you can get some fix or better service. It really is nice to be able to play in Multiplayer with out to many problems...;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Gouitsu
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gouitsu »

Well It does seam that proxifier held a stable connection, tho the connection stability,speed,ping.. ect is dependant upon the proxy itself.