Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Oooooh no, the game is complicated enough I think. LOL :P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by Eclipse

Once you have good relations with all systems it can be a bit boring.
:cool: That gives me an idea. If, instead of your proposal, Vice just added a flag to the game (do "peek" and "poke" work anymore?) letting the player know when he/she has formed good relations with all systems. Contrarywise, he could maybe add a second flag letting the player know when he/she has formed hostile relations with every system in the galaxy.

;) Either way, it would be "Game Over!"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have actually considered such a 'global' rather than 'local' system, even back when I was developing the current reputation structure for Renegades. Here are some challenges to consider with it:

- Localized reputation effects would be lost for those required to be linked together (with one or more dependent on the other, they would no longer be independent, internally optional or otherwise).

- There would need to be some kind of new visual systems added to the inventory console and/or map so the player can keep track of the external reputation effects that their local behavior/actions are causing.

- Universe data file template and parsing system would need to be updated to introduce new linkable values (legacy issue, both profiles and universe data).

- Interdependent reputation links would need to be accounted for in multiplayer (so all linked arrays are adjusted for all players as needed).

- I've had a decent volume of requests indicating that players want localized independent reputations and want to be able to perform actions in one system without effecting their (sometimes good) reputation in another system.
Once you have good relations with all systems it can be a bit boring.
Players who intentionally want to make friends with everyone in the galaxy should indeed expect combat to become virtually non-existent, which will be boring for some (such players should probably continue with existing combat zones or create new ones where they want them). But there are a number of players who actually want that 'peaceful' option. I have a number of e-mails from players who requested (prior to Renegades) and now appreciate that the game lets them work to become allied with just about every system in the game, so they no longer have to contend with a lot of combat and can instead focus on just trading, exploration, racing, mining, asteroid purging, etc (one of the requesting players described this option as a 'non-engagement' based preference). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but the option is available because of how many players want it (just as an option though, it's certainly not required as you can make just as many enemies as friends as you want).

[Edited on 11-21-2009 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by Vice

- Interdependent reputation links would need to be accounted for in multiplayer (so all linked arrays are adjusted for all players as needed).
:o Couldn't that also result in one of those "unintended consequences" ... where, after some overly-enthusiastic pilot accidently shoots the Navy, it would be impossible to simply exit and re-enter the sector to turn them from red back to green?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Potentially, yes, depending how permanent (and multiple-system dependent) such a system would be.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

@ Eclipse, you still have the War zones like Vice said if you want combat after having achieved good reputation every where. And for Vonari ignoring you in multiplayer that is because of your high rank and only happens in multiplayer when lower ranking players are around. And you can always change a system back to hostile by attacking Navy, Energy and Miners and/or accepting bribes. And by complicated I meant from the perspective of a new player. It takes quite a long time for a new player that is not addicted to this game to understand and achieve the rank you and me have! Ones you achieve your goals and know all the ins and outs of a game no matter how complicated the game it becomes boring because there is not a real chalenge for you anymore.;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I would not mind it one way or the other. I would certainly still enjoy the game as Vice always seems to find the right balance in what ever he decides to implement or change in the Game. A global system reputation defenitely seems to be complicated to implement in the Game but would with Vice's ingenuity sure make it fun to play.;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

Probably the sensitivity of the AI in regards to relations would have to be trimmed a bit.

A single shot at a Navy ship should not be accounted as a full scale attack and destruction of a cap ship, but only as a normal friendly fire in combat.

If you destry the asset then it will be counted.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala