Lockup connecting to multi-player server

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

I seem to have problems connecting to a multi-player server. It looks like I connect, however I never get the welcome text (for example, the welcome text for the Babylon 5 server). Holding tilda to will list only one player connected to the server but no others. After about 30 seconds (unless I disconnect the server) the game will freeze all together.

The game seems to work perfectly fine in single player. Occasionally (once in 10?) the game will actually connect properly and I can play for hours on the server.

I've it with my anti-virus fully disabled (nod32 4.0) and all unrelated programs / services shut down with no real luck.

Evochron: Legends v1.128
Windows Vista Ultimate (x64)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4gb Ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 260
SoundMAX Audio (motherboard integrated)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Bit-depth: 32 bit

[Edited on 9-19-2009 by lasmori]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Does your A/V program have any residual firewall or other network protection systems? I'd first suggest checking for any background tasks that might still be running, even if 'disabled'. Your system certainly looks great, so it's likely something software related. If you'd like me to review your configuration in more detail for possible causes, follow the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

I am using the basic NOD32, it doesn't include any form of firewall.

Also just tried a few more things:
1) XP compatibility mode - no luck
2) Disabled the Windows Firewall - no luck
3) Added an exclusion to NOD32 for the Evochron Legends folder - no luck
4) I've tried with nod32 disabled all together previously, and again before posting this just to be sure - no luck

Edit: msinfo32 export emailed :D

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Well, your system looks fine, only the NOD32 stuff might risk some kind of interference issue. I'm not sure why this problem would surface on your system, or why the other games would also be haulting and faulting. When you disabled NOD32, did you make sure the residual processes were not still running in the task manager? It sounds like something is (intermittenly, 9 out of 10 times) blocking inbound traffic to your system while outbound is being allowed. Are you using a router and if so, any settings for ports/hardware firewall? Have you tried manually forwarding/opening the ports for the game in your router's config menu?
StarWraith 3D Games
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

Originally posted by Vice
Well, your system looks fine, only the NOD32 stuff might risk some kind of interference issue. I'm not sure why this problem would surface on your system, or why the other games would also be haulting and faulting.. When you disabled NOD32, did you make sure the residual processes were not still running in the task manager? It sounds like something is (intermittenly, 9 out of 10 times) blocking inbound traffic to your system while outbound is being allowed. Are you using a router and if so, any settings for ports/hardware firewall? Have you tried manually forwarding/opening the ports for the game in your router's config menu?
Everything else I run on this system (Everquest 2, NWN2 multiplayer, Aion, Teamspeak, Ventrillo, etc) run fine :).

My roomie plays Evochron (he is the one getting me to play it ;D) on the multi-player servers fine. In fact, last night I was able to connect to the Babylon server and we had played together on the same server for several hours. (it had been locking up on previous days but I figured I would give it a try last night).

We run very similar system configurations (hardware, version of windows, and we both run NOD32). We have a router, but its not blocking any outbound ports.

It might be worth noting that at the time, not very many people were on the server.

I wonder if its possible the router is holding state for his system and not building state for mine... but that doesn't explain it working for both of us last night.

Going to see about resetting the router and reconnecting.

(BTW, you rock :P)

lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

Tried a few more things:
1) rebooted router - no go
2) set static ip - no go
3) setup forwarding for 3998-3999 to my ip - no go
4) performed a 'repair' on the interface - no go
5) switched to a different ethernet port on my system - no go

Phased
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phased »

I've been able to replicate the problem. It is caused by Nod32 4.xx

I was running 3.xx and had been lazy in doing the update to 4.xx. As a litmus, I upgraded to 4.xx and am having the same exact problem. So the cause is found, now to find a solution...
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

I was hoping it wouldn't be NOD32... buuut.... we upgraded my roomies NOD32 from 3.x to 4.0.

Looks like stock NOD32 4.0 is the problem, as now his system is showing the exact same problem as mine.

We are looking into work arounds, but at least now for future reference... if someone has NOD32 4.0 and can't connect to a multi-player server... its NOD32 4.0 :/.

Hopefully there is a solution outside of downgrading back to 3.x. (telling the anti-virus to disable of course doesn't fix the issue).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Looked like EQ2 and Oblivion had given you trouble in the error log, but those could have been unrelated problems (especially in the case of Oblivion).

That's good that the problem can be narrowed down to your system since you're both using the same connection. Just to try something, try opening a wider range of ports, like 3990-4000 (iirc, some routers could benefit from -1 or +1 in one range direction). Also, have you tried connecting before your friend does, then have him try to sign in?
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah, ok, thanks for the confirmation. As an option, Avast is a free alternative that doesn't interfere with too many games.

Edit:

Looks like version 4 impacts other games as well. Reports of problems seem to be pretty common. Here is a thread on their own forums about GRAW2 when someone upgraded from version 3 to 4 and encountered the same kind of problem: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre ... ultiplayer

One reply offered this advice:

"Exclude the program's exe and network traffic from being scanner as described here (placing a X next to the application in the web browser list) http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=co ... 8509462123

That may work for this game as well so version 4 might work with EL.

[Edited on 1-6-2010 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

Originally posted by Vice
Ah, ok, thanks for the confirmation. As an option, Avast is a free alternative that doesn't interfere with too many games.
NOD32 normally is wonderful... I've never had an issue with it until now. Its usually a lot speedier and better at detection then avast.

I told NOD32 4.0 to only scan executable files... and still no go. I am wondering what Evochron is doing that worked in NOD32 3.X but not 4.0.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello lasmori, welcome to the forum and the Sim. Hope you get your online problem fixed soon.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

Solution: Until the conflict between Evochron Legends and NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 is resolved, downgrading to NOD32 3.0 solves the issue.

NOD32 3.0 is available on the http://www.eset.com website under Download / Home PC Users (Previous releases: 3.0, 2.7).
Phased
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Phased »

After pretty much systematically gutting its function piece by piece by disabling every feature and adding Evochron to every exclusion list while testing Evochron MP after each change, I can find no way to allow it through. No real choice other than to roll back to 3.xx and submit the issue to Eset and see what they say.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Welcome aboard lasmori.....Wow, sorry you were having such a hard time connecting I look forward to seeing you in MP ;).

@ Phased....I cannot remember if I welcomed you yet...("Yoda" moments, gotta love 'em)...so Welcome aboard Phased
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

lasmori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lasmori »

And thanks for the welcomes guys :)
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

It was great flying missions with you and managed to take a screen shot of you before you jumped...:D posted in screenshots thread.
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"