Kill the Cyberlink Media Library Service!

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
aspurgeon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aspurgeon »

Hi All,

This is not a new issue, just confirmation that one of the posted fixes works. In
this tech support article by Vice, it was noted that:
Specific Program Alerts
2-14-2009 - One apparent culprit of causing interference with the games here and/or possibly others is a program called Cyberlink Media Library Service (background task filename is CLMLSvc.exe). This program is apparently pre-installed on some HP computers and has been confirmed as being a cause for some error code related problems. Stopping this process has solved the problem as reported by one user so far.
After wracking my brain for some time, then finding this article, I can confirm that killing this process (and/or removing Cyberlink Media Library Service from startup with MSConfig.exe) puts an end to the Error 31, Error 37, and Error 99 messages I was seeing when starting Evochron Legends (... and Evochron Rengades when I tried that!)

Make that two users so far! ;) Now, everything runs great on my HP (Vista x64, AMD Quad Core, 6 GB RAM)!
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Weird indeed! You never know where the problems will come.
Was glad you packed off it.

"Technical Support" section has cool useful infos with error codes. We have to read there when we saw a problem about the game.
Note to self!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That service causes the same kinds of problems in other games as well (particularly crashes to the desktop and freezing in other games). It seems to be associated with their TouchSmart suite of pre-installed software and uses up significant resources while also blocking other programs from having access to those needed resources. Similar problems have occured in the past with other HP software, so it seems they are simply unwilling or unable to fix such problems with their programs. Terminating and removing them seems to be the only solution.

Ironically, you can remove the TouchSmart software programs, get better system performance, have a more reliable computer, cure games from crashing, and still use the touchscreen since the OS thinks it's just a mouse. So the benefits of getting rid of it seem to far outweigh any benefit it provides.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations