Try out a new city?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
PingBosun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by PingBosun »

Earl - Stunning! I really like the "Bay doors amy close without warning" notice.

Is it possible to have a collaboration with Vice with a mission to search a large city like this for things, not I suppose disimilar to Dark Star?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try out a new city?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Amazing. But what are those tube-like things you see at the 0:16 mark? They look like tunnels ... are they above ground? (Hard to tell from the video.)
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Try out a new city?

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Whew! Not that really does look like a city. Well done.
Image And mad cat
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Marvin, those are the roads. To make them visible, there's duplicate of the road top surface on the light layer, and apparently it loads first :D There are 3 service tunnels that you can take to enter the main docking area.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try out a new city?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Reminds me of "Caves of Steel" ... this game now resembles, even more, Asimov's Foundations and Empire.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Hi,

Looks great from the video. I tried to download, but the file has "expired." I really want to try it out, and maybe at some point to have custom cities on each planet, so that each planet will have a different appearance and culture.

I think the size of the city is a pretty good size in relation to the size of the ship. It brings into focus, though, how small the planets are and how slow the ships move.
Hopsalot
Ensign
Ensign

Try out a new city?

Post by Hopsalot »

Just watched the video, very cool Earl! Please re-post the link when you can.

Thanks!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try out a new city?

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by Nigel_Strange
It brings into focus, though, how small the planets are and how slow the ships move.
:cool: Again, this fits in quite well with Asimov's first Foundation novel. Plop three of these cities on a planet and it should cover a lot of the surface. Now just call the planet "Trantor" and ... that's it!
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

The download is going to be re-posted as soon as I'm totaly done with the model. I think I'm done with the city, but the ship I parked outside looks junky, I'm fixing up some better textures and adding some light to it.
Please, anything else you think a futuristic city needs would be helpful :D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try out a new city?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Could you make the ship an add-on to the city? Else, it might seem odd that, no matter how many cities you visit (on different planets), they all have this same ship parked outside.
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

It'd be an entirely different model, but sure. My file for the texture is set up so that I can do color variants as well, but those .bmps do take up space.
When I get to putting this on different planets, it's going to be pretty rare. Maybe just 2 or three tops. I really don't think you'll see it all that much.
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Ok, here's the latest...
http://www.yousendit.com/download/cmcxQ ... SlNGa1E9PQ

Just a city default replacement this time. You shouldn't have to go looking for it, it'll be on every planet.
Hey Vice, if we all do eventually make several of these, is there any chance you would let us use the original city as the default?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Try out a new city?

Post by Vice »

You mean have the game revert back to the original 'default' city any time a custom one is not available? It's possible, it's built in code and isn't a static mesh though if you were interested in it for something else.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

No, I don't want to mess with it, but it is a cool model, and it'd be a shame to have to leave it out...
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Accountant »

Come to think of it, that would be a nice idea. We could create a mesh and name it Sapphirecity.x, and only Sapphire would have the custom mesh. The rest of the cities would still be the default mesh.

-Accountant
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Try out a new city?

Post by tha_rami »

I have to agree though, that the planets dó actually seem minor with those cities. It is a spectacular city, though.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by tha_rami
I have to agree though, that the planets dó actually seem minor with those cities. It is a spectacular city, though.
I like this idea. Agreed.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by BraveHart »

WoW just saw the video....Excellent work Earl ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Video's old. Youtube's stubborn or there'd be a better one right now :D

Scaling is still a big deal... So sounds like you guys would rather have something scaled to fit the planet more exactly? Right now I'm basing it off the player, as most everything except the planet size is in a 1:1 scale to you. It only seems to be super huge because to fly through it, you have to create some big open spaces so that the gravity field around the city is wide enough to let you though. At this size, the tunnels are still a bit rough at some points.
I may not get around to another one for quite some time, but I'll try to make it less imposing when I do. It'll be a simple solar farm :D
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Try out a new city?

Post by tha_rami »

Well, the problem is we can´t have both. At this point, I´d say keep it this way, the scaling towards the player is the most important after all.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try out a new city?

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I have no problem with very large cities.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by BraveHart »

I liked the Large city :)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Carwash
Ensign
Ensign

Try out a new city?

Post by Carwash »

Just sticking my oar in here, sorry in advance Vice. I'd love to see far, far bigger planets (maybe not 1:1but getting there...) which would make finding a city as tactile as this a real pleasure. Yes I know this has been discussed elsewhere and I know the rationale behind having smaller, quicker-to-fly-down-to planets, but for me big cities still ruin the planet visits. To the extent that I avoid going there. Breaks the gameworld for me.
If you accept exploration of a planet is a goal in itself, then spending time getting down and then approaching a city from a great distance is actually fun. I want to see the city grow from a speck at great altitudes to a vast thing a can fly into...
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by verbosity »

maybe the planets could be bigger but the atmosphere could be tweaked so its possible to easily jump to around , say, 10 km above it , with a tweaked gradient ( given that the edge of our atmosphere is 100KM as defined by the united nations) so ( halving that for gameplay) 50KM no visible difference ( though maybe a slight coloured aura around the planet, at 25km extreme speeds ( <4K )do slight damage, aura is bigger, at 12.5 KM the atmosphere starts becoming visible, extreme speeds are now slightly more damaging ( say about the same rate as a repair3 can repair ;P ).

so at 10km even a noob could jump in without much chance of dying, but at 7km and below damage is as it is now...............

If this was possible, you could use these values to give more difference in some planets ( esp if you could have different sized planets. ), you can even 'add in a deadly layer ( where the density or other effect cause death), and in the case of land-able planets just place this inside (IE make it smaller than the planet itself) the planet. thus you could have gas giants, where there is a small core, a large 'deathlayer' and an atmosphere 100's of KM's ( think of the mining/ combat possibilities).

I'd actually take this further, remove moons! they could be generated within the system above, but they would in some cases be dockable. This of course would depend on the game being able to handle multiple objects of the same type in view at the same time ( something I'd really like to see)

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by verbosity]
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by tha_rami
...... the scaling towards the player is the most important after all.
I know what you are talking about.
Yes, most important thing is...