Try out a new city?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Hey folks, I think at least one of my cities is now ready for your purveying...

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/702393664/7f3 ... 4bd197f1e5

All you have to do to try it out is de-compress the environment folder I provide, and drop into your root folder for EL(Where all the other files are. Mine is C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegends)

This will change the default city to a simple city I'm working out, I'd say it's about 60%. I made one kindof 'archetype' using those arched forms, and I'm going to use it to make several variants for different population sizes. This one's more of an outpost than a full out city.

However, the one I'm really proud of and have been spending way too much time on, I'm going to give you as a city-specific planet. Just for fun, you'll have to find it. It's located on a planet called Serene, which can be found in Clan Richton territory.
You can cheat and rename the file 'cityserene.x' to whatever planet you're closest to if you like(cityX.x), or just 'city.x' to set it as the global default.
This city still has a few texture issues and I'm going to keep adding more to it, but it's about 90%. There's one main entrance to the commercial bay area, and three service-tunnel type entrances you can use for variety. I'm thinking of a variant where the main bay is only accessible by the tunnels, but that might be too much hassle for the player.
Let me know what you think is missing. Next thing I want are some air ducts exposed on the inside walls to break up the space... and if there's still some loose polycount, some parked ships.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

We need a screenshot to see it before downloading.

Awesome job. I like it so much.

Thank you very much Earl.

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by warsign]
dogeddie
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Try out a new city?

Post by dogeddie »

I'd love to see it. Will it change all the cities; is there a way to keep some of the originals and some of your new ones? This is gonna be cool!
Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Knight Rider »

I would love to see a pic before downloading.
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Ah, you guys are no fun.
I didn't include a picture because I wanted you to explore :D Plus the download is very small.
While taking screens I noticed a few strange missing faces.... Pay no mind, I've fixed them already.

http://azurewitch.deviantart.com/art/Co ... -126370012

From the way Vice has it set up, in order to do any custom cities you first have to change the default. If you try to do a planet-specific model, it will still come up as the default, or at least it did every time I tried. So, no, if you go custom, you can't have the original.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by Maarschalk »

Very, very nice indeed!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Try out a new city?

Post by Vice »

Wow, very nice work Earl. I enjoyed exploring through the city before I saw the pictures :)
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Hope I'm going in the right direction. It's still a little bit away from my final idea, but the all enclosed not-quite-a-dome shape is complete, there won't be any outlying buildings. I think I may make the shape more solid by removing some window space to make it look more like a bunker/outpost for hazardous planets. Mainly I just want it to be more worthwhile to go planetside and go in there. I spent some time beefing up the textures... Considering a slight change of color scheme, swapping the the yellow signage for blue, but since I tend to go for that all the time in my projects, just this once I might avoid it out of principle. On the other, less complete one, I'm thinking of creating a large docking pad/hanger complex with something battleship-sized parked there, like a colony ship.
Spartan992
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Try out a new city?

Post by Spartan992 »

Gonna give it a go, but from the pictures it reminds me of Dragonball Z cities!:D
Blitzsturm squadron wingman
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

Box design is so nice. Was good feeling to get in and out, like it definitely so much (serene city).

Good job there. Cheers!
Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Knight Rider »

Wow. I've got to try this out. I'm on my way to Sol at quite a clip thanks to auto pilot, and was thinking of trying it on Mars. What's the easiest way to install it, and how do you change back, once you have tried it out? Thanks!
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Dragonball? LOL! Not so sure about that.
To add it to the planet of your choice, just change the file 'cityserene.x' to 'citymars.x' or whatever you want.
I haven't tried out the autopilot yet.... Actually I haven't played much due to obsession with this model, haha.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Daedalao »

It really does look great, haven't had a chance to explore it as I'm fussing with my own 3d models at the moment, anyways... Great job on that city!
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Accountant »

Looking good, Earl! Very interesting to fly though the city. Only thing that bothers me is that it is so tall. I love the concept, though!

Also, when you release your final version, be sure to include a lights mesh. When I was browsing through the city, I noticed that the lights mesh of the city I am working on were used because the serene city did not have its own lights mesh.

Keep up the good work!

-Accountant
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

I'm starting to creat a lights mesh, but the thing is, as soon as it turns that on things get a lot darker. I'm going to have to adjust some of my textures. It does look cool though. Along with a few running lights, I've used it to put shields over the roads in the exposed bay areas. I figure, in an industrial/commercial center, by the 2xth century we'd have thought of it for protection from falling objects :D
I'm doing a little planning for my new job (HS Art teacher right in my hometown. TOTALLY psyched) so I may not post the final version right away. But I promise, the next thing I post will be the final version.
I actually like it very tall! It seems like the game engine makes things just a tad taller than my modeling program. When I scale it up to export, I decided on (For this model anyway) 17/15/17, which makes it look kinda fat in the export, but still a tad tall ingame. I wouldn't mind making it shorter and fatter still, but I'm concerned about the ease of flying through it then. The tunnels are already a bit jostly. I can scale those up a bit more though.
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Accountant »

Yeah, I understand about the sizing issues. I just thought that I would throw that out there :)

The shields on the roads sounds cool. Seems like everyone has neat ideas, and then there's me :P

Good luck with the new job!

-Accountant
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Here's the latest... Figured a video would be neater than a screenshot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDlHEoOqyk

A lot has been added since the last time, including a docking bay and a very large cargo ship parked outside...
Sizing has been addressed. It's still big, but I was able to shrink it a bit by making the service tunnels much larger and widening the docking bay area.
More suggestions, please! I'm not going to add any more geometry as game stability is an issue I'm starting to rub into, but refinement is still needed.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Try out a new city?

Post by Vice »

Wow, are those transparent glass covers for the internal roadways? That's amazing Earl, nice work! The detail on that, especially on the inside when your flying around to land at the docking platform, is awesome.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

Looks awesome!
Thank you Earl.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by DennyMala »

Really awesome job. That is entirely another dimension to cities in EL.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by MMaggio »

Yeah! it is good! How come you can't do that Vice?;):P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by verbosity »

Whoa! that's really impressive !!!!!
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Try out a new city?

Post by tha_rami »

Impressive indeed. Could be interesting to see the city processing developed further to support such cities better.

By the way, I'm honored you put that on Serene planet :).
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
warsign
Captain
Captain

Try out a new city?

Post by warsign »

Agreed.
Earl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Try out a new city?

Post by Earl »

Yeah, it does load rather suddenly, if that what you guys are takling about :D It's mostly my fault for making something so huge. It is shorter than it was before.... I can make it shorter, if you think I need to :D