Runtime Error 99 (Legends)

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
custos_custodum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by custos_custodum »

This topic was discussed once in the Avroch forums, but I'm having trouble with it in Legends after following the advice there.

I had to tinker pretty aggressively to get the game to execute at all (my graphics card doesn't support 640x480), but now the game will run, allow me to open the demo menu, create a callsign, etc. When I attempt to start the actual game (or the training modes), the loading screen runs to 100% and then the game crashes with "Runtime Error: Error 99".

Following the advice in the forum, I turned off Avast! OnAccess Protection, Vista UAC, and Windows Defender. I've got 2.04 GB of available physical memory, so that shouldn't be a problem. (I run, for instance, Left4Dead with no problems at 1024x768.)

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I can provide more system details upon request.

Many thanks in advance. I really hope to get this stellar-looking (apologies for the pun) game running properly.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Error 99 is an object error, so the game is unable to load an object it needs for some reason. If you complete the steps here, I can analyze your system for possible causes: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/faq.htm#8

Did you verify your desktop is set to 32-bit color and not 16-bit?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
custos_custodum
Ensign
Ensign

Thanks, Vice. I sent you the file.

I checked in the nVidia CP and I am running at 32-bit.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the file. Overall, you're system looks ok, so it may be some kind of software interference or driver issue. Looks like L4D crashed on you a couple times and even Chrome has been also, which may or may not be related to this problem.

- First, lets established where you installed the game. Did you install it to the default folder %win%\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegends? If you didn't, or if you moved the game after installation, did you include a savedir.txt file to instruct the game to use a different folder?

- In the save data folder, locate the sw.cfg file, rename it to something else to back it up, then relaunch the game to let it re-detect your configuration and apply settings. If it doesn't help, delete the new file and restore the original, then continue on to the next step.

- Make sure the game's save data folder is not write protected so it can save setting and profile data it needs to.

- Switch to a full screen display mode ('Locked (FS)') in the options menu, exit the game, relaunch and test again.

- The next step I'd suggest is turning off as much of the pre-installed 'utilities' as possible in the startup (Start > Run > type in MSCONFIG > press enter > Startup tab > uncheck desired boxes). Some of these programs can cause system stability issues and interfere with games and other applications (particularly on HP laptops, but it's something to try on yours also). There's a number of them in folders like 'thinkpad', 'thinkvantage', and 'lenovo'. Turn off as many as you want, then restart the system, check for improvements in available memory and that the tasks are no longer running in the background, then launch and test the game. If that solves the problem, start turning on the applications one at a time to find out which one is causing the interference. Once you find the cause, you'll likely also find that it solves the same kind of problems occuring in other programs.

- If that process doesn't solve it, I'd look into switching drivers. The setup you have isn't really designed for gaming (Quadro NVS 140M), but the 3D card it has should be compatible with this game. So I'd suggest trying different drivers to see if one might work better with this game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
custos_custodum
Ensign
Ensign

Locked FS mode did the trick, many thanks!

L4D I crashed myself by screwing around with the developer console, and all my Chrome crashes are related to Flash, I believe. Mostly I blame Vista, though. (grin)
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello custos_custodum, welcome to the forum and the Sim. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi custos_custodum, Welcome to the Game and Forum. Hope to see you out there in Multiplayer!;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good