Video Flashes

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Deacon211
Ensign
Ensign

Video Flashes

Post by Deacon211 »

Greetings all,

I just registered my version of EL (ver 1.028). The game runs fine in general with the exception of full white screen flashes that occur randomly throughout the game. I've tried fiddling with my settings with no luck. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My specs:
Intel Core Duo 2.67
Windows Vista 32
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768

Thanks for the help!

Deacon
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Video Flashes

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Deacon211, welcome to the forum and the Sim. Yes, I had that problem at times and had to reduce programs running in the back ground as well as reduce the Sim Options video settings to less. such as turn down stars, turn off nebula Etc. Keep trying different settings till you get one that will work on your set up. Others may have better advice also so stay tuned. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Deacon211
Ensign
Ensign

Video Flashes

Post by Deacon211 »

Thanks! I'm suprised that I would need to turn down the options since I have a decent system and I don't get any of the usual problems (slowdowns, stuttering, etc). But clearly that must be the issue if you had the same experience.

Well, that sets me off in the proper direction at least! :D

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying this sim!

Deacon
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Video Flashes

Post by Vice »

Interesting, sounds like some kind of video interruption going on. You shouldn't need to turn down settings at all on a system like that, max everything should work fine unless you're running into performance problems. First step I'd recommend is checking for any graphically related background tasks that might be running. Are you running the Vista sidebar at the same time you're trying to play the game? Are you using any special display settings or third party graphics setting programs? Are you task switching at any point? Are you running in the windowed mode or full screen?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Video Flashes

Post by 49rTbird »

Oh yes, I also switched to firefox instead of I.E. and Vice's advice is best. Good luck.
Deacon211
Ensign
Ensign

Video Flashes

Post by Deacon211 »

As far as I'm aware, I'm not running anything out of the ordinary. Would having IE open cause that kind of problem anyway. AFAIK I'm only running Mcafee firewall and nothing else in the taskbar. Well, I'll fiddle around a bit and report back.

Again, I appreciate the help!
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Video Flashes

Post by 49rTbird »

I run Mcafee also, I wish I could remember what I did to stop the flashes, sorry. I did update all my drivers also. I run firefox cause it seems faster than I.E. :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Video Flashes

Post by Vice »

I run IE in the background a lot without problems, so it's probably something else.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Video Flashes

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Vice, I just reset all my settings to the highest possible and all seems fine tho a little slower. Maybe mine was old drivers, I'm not sure now. Hope Deacon211 solves it also. :)
Roi Danton
Ensign
Ensign

Video Flashes

Post by Roi Danton »

This flash doesn't appear in Legends/StarWraith3/4 for me but in RiftSpace (ATi Radeon, Cat 9.8). Maybe this hint helps to track down this problem in case someone still has it using Legends.

[Edited on 10-19-2009 by Roi Danton]
cheops
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Video Flashes

Post by cheops »

I get random flashes from time to time but as they last only a few miliseconds they are hardly noticable unless you happen to be under attack at the time.

I don't have anything running in the background when they occur. Oddly they never occur when teamspeak is running.
Heghlu\'meH QaQ jajvam <- for the Vonari

Ranks: Military:- Fleet Admiral Civilian:-Legend. Current number of confirmed kills:- 50,000 give or take a thousand.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Video Flashes

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Deacon211
Greetings all,

I just registered my version of EL (ver 1.028). The game runs fine in general with the exception of full white screen flashes that occur randomly throughout the game. I've tried fiddling with my settings with no luck. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My specs:
Intel Core Duo 2.67
Windows Vista 32
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768

Thanks for the help!

Deacon
Have you set any controllers buttons to use the Alt Key ?

I get these flashes when in Game I press the Alt Key down for an extended period. Maybe this is something different but I thought I just mention it. ;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Video Flashes

Post by Ravenfeeder »

I use "Driver Detective" to keep my drivers up to date, works fine. You can find it here: http://wwwdriverdetective.com/?tid=wishca
Image And mad cat