Unresponsive gamepad

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

I am using the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 and I have noticed a strange lag when I am trying to control my ship.

I have the left analog stick set to Turn/Pitch and if I move it around too fast the thrusters on my jet do not respond accordingly. For instance if I am turning hard-left, then immediately hard-right, there is a 1-2 second delay before the thrusters kick in. This does not happen when I use mouse control. With the mouse I can rapidly change my ship's direction without any noticeable delay.

Anyone else noticed this with either a gamepad or joystick? Perhaps it is just my pad?

[Edited on 2-22-2009 by noxxle]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by MMaggio »

Try replacing the batteries first.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

not the problem ;)
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by MMaggio »

I've had similar problems, but with a USB wired controller. Drove all of us nuts. But for a wireless controller, the solution would not apply. Is your sending unit unusually far from the PC?
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

Originally posted by MMaggio
I've had similar problems, but with a USB wired controller. Drove all of us nuts. But for a wireless controller, the solution would not apply. Is your sending unit unusually far from the PC?
No its not. My gamepad works just fine in all other games.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by MMaggio »

Then I am out of ideas. This may have to wait till brighter minds prevail. Maybe Vice will have an answer. I expect it will be about 12 hrs before he can reply.
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

I am hoping for a response from someone that has my gamepad, or a similar cordless one. If they are not suffering from this issue, then there is probably something wrong with my controller or its software. However, I have updated everything related to the pad, and it does work fine in other games.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by tha_rami »

Noxxle, could that be the deadzone of the axis that is too wide?
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

Originally posted by tha_rami
Noxxle, could that be the deadzone of the axis that is too wide?
I tried adjusting the deadzone and it didn't help.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by Vice »

What sensitivity setting are you using? What does the axis bar look like in the configure controls menu? Does it move from one direction to the other slowly or immediately?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

Originally posted by Vice
What sensitivity setting are you using? What does the axis bar look like in the configure controls menu? Does it move from one direction to the other slowly or immediately?
I've tried all sensitivity settings. Just like during gameplay, the axis bars sometimes lag if I move the analog stick too fast.

To anyone else with either a gamepad or a joystick: try testing it in options menu. Move the axis bars slowly from left to right, then try abruptly moving from one direction to another. I sometimes get a 2 second pause before the game recognizes the movement.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by Vice »

Must be controller related then. See if they have a support forum or contact information.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

There is definitely something wrong with my gamepad. Just tested it in some other games. I also noticed that the usb receiver just stops responding occasionally and I must unplug it and then plug it back in.

My gamepad didnt do this a month ago, and yes I did change the batteries recently.

Oh well.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by MMaggio »

Hey! It wouldn't be the first time someone replaced batteries with new "bad" ones!
Either get a battery checker, or replace them again with known new batteries.
Good Luck.
Tpol
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by Tpol »

Originally posted by noxxle
There is definitely something wrong with my gamepad. Just tested it in some other games. I also noticed that the usb receiver just stops responding occasionally and I must unplug it and then plug it back in.

My gamepad didnt do this a month ago, and yes I did change the batteries recently.

Oh well.
If you've added any additional usb devices since installing the rumblepad, or have too many devices running at once, you may have some sort of driver conflict happening.

You also might want to check to see if there are any other 2.4GHz wireless devices nearby (e.g. cordless phone, router), maybe there's some interference happening.

Also check to see if how you're setting up the Logitech controller profiles are the same as how you're using them in the game.

You could try uninstalling the Logitech software and reinstalling it. Sometimes that's helped me with Logitech devices.
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

Its a driver or USB issue. Just installed evochron on my laptop and the pad works perfect. It isnt wireless interference because my laptop was sitting next to my desktop. I have already tried uninstalling it on my desktop, but perhaps there was some traces of the software that didn't get uninstalled.
noxxle
Ensign
Ensign

Unresponsive gamepad

Post by noxxle »

I think this problem began when I installed a USB camcorder device on my desktop: The Creative VADO.

Does anyone know how I can completely uninstall the USB drivers and remove all associations with them? Would that involve installing drivers for my motherboard, or are there generic USB drivers available somewhere?