need a little help....

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

I've been asked a few questions in regards to the dedicated server so I thought it'd be easiet to have an FAQ.

how Do I take part?
1. register
If you've not yet done so please register, this gives you access to the main functional pages, the registration system is functional but still needs some work dones to it.
2.login
login either here or on the verbsleagues main page.
Please note: the legends and renegades pages still use an old legacy system for server admins to login, these are seperate login pages
3.download launcher
you can get this here - Please note this link only works if you are logged into the verbsleagues webpage. You can also find the user page in the dynamic index page in the links on the right hand side, if you are logged in
4. extract launcher to the Evochron Legends game Directory
5. run launcher.exe
I make a shortcut of this and place it on my desktop and use it instead of the evochron Legends shortcut.
When the launcher runs click on the dynamic button. A webpage will popup asking you to login, once you have logged in you will be given a code, put this into the launcher window, you can either type it in or copy and paste, when you hit enter Legends will run. Go to multiplayer and choose verbsleagues as the server.
6. Enjoy the dynamic universe,

FAQ
1.What is a 'dynamic' server
In short a server in which the universe is not 'static' ( unchanging ), another term that could be used is persistant. Simply put A pilots actions on the server will affect the universe in which they play. contracts will affect not only your reputation but the economy of the system, Clans can 'hold' systems and make them more 'hostile' to other clans. There is also an ongoing series of storylines and quests which pilots and clans can take part in, which will offer bonuses.
Other dynamic servers are in the works too, including the 'orbital' server in which planetary bodies will be given orbits.

2.how does it work
for the curent dynamic server pilots are required to register, and use the launcher, this replaces the standard universe with the one applicable to you. The universe is typically updated daily. most of the system is built using .php and mysql. it takes certain details from the chatlog and uses these to make the correct changes to the universe.

3. what is this launcher and why do I need it
in short the launcher gathers all the files needed for you to be able to join a game. It does not gather any information from your computer, it simply downloads the latest applicable universe file to allow you to connect. It also has the option for you to return to the 'standard universe'

4. why do i need to register
for a few reasons, firstly to ensure you get the correct universe file, Also in future updates to help to stop impersonation.

5. my clan is showing is IND what is this?
Currently my primary goall is to get the dynamic in place and running properly, as part of this some secondary functions are not in place yet. Part of this is the 'clan' system, and as such all pilots who have registered are shown as IND by default. If you are not in a clan this is the correct setting for you ( IND = independant ), If you are in a clan u2u me and I'll sort it out for you.

6. I just used the launcher but can't join the game
At some points in time to allow for development I'll have to 'revert back' to a standard universe. Also to allow the MP experience to be open to all pilots, if my server is the only one running It'll revert back to standard.

7.I'm concrened about my privacy
All details kept on the web server for verbsleagues are confidential, and will never be given out. similarly any conversations held in the chatlog are not kept on the server nor processed ( only 'statments' made by the game itself are used ) from time to time I may read the chatlog, but only to ensure that the 'pg' rating of the server is enforced. If I find a breach of the PG rating all discource about this will be between me and the pilot in question, in a private setting.

8. I don't see a difference between the standard universe and the dynamic one
At the moment there isn't much of one, as the beta progresses players should start to notice changes, Firstly the starting reps will shortly be changing to account for factions, reps and economies will styart to change as pilots actions afect them. Eventually ( near the end of the beta) new systems features and quests will start to appear.

Some of the biggest features wont appear till once the beta is finished, these are story-based and often relate to the warzones and the human-vonari war. Dependant on your chosen faction you will also be informed about features of the universe that are available to you as part of that faction.

At what stage of development is this at?
Nearly completed, the system is currently in beta and testing the last of the basic dynamic features, once this has been done the system will be truely dynamic in its original development goals - to have a dynamic reputation and economic system.
Once this stage of testing is complete testing of the final stage(s) the story/mission system and 'special object' systems will be tested, and the dynamic server will come out of beta testing.

I don't see the server online
This is due to the server machine being currently in use for other purposes, around mid may It should return to being a dedicated server box.

troubleshooting
the launcher crashes / I get a mismatched universe error
more often than not you can re-run the launcher to correct this, please be aware that legends should not be running when the launcher runs.
I still get a mismatched universe error
you can also just reinstall the game (if you've left the installation and save data folder in one location) and the installer will restore the default universe for you.

[Edited on 4-27-2009 by verbosity]
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

I realised it might also be usefull to explain the phases of the beta, Currently I'm in the first phase and the dynamic server should be entering the second phase within the next few days.

1. universe testing
Check that all factions can use their own universe file
make sure the universe is similar to the default, and that the universe creation system is correct
( changes will be made to the universe once the server is out of beta)
confirm the 'hidden' object system
completed

2. dynamic reputation system
confirm that the starting rep is correct for each faction
confirm that PvP/CvC kills adjust the rep in each area in the correct fashion
check that time based rep effects apply correctly
completed

3.economy / contract system
confirm that contracts apply to reputation and economy correctly
check that PvP kills adjust the economy in the correct fashion
check that time based economy effect apply correctly
completed

4.news and quest system
check that news is processed accuratly
confirm that clan based news is reported correctly
confirm that system 'ownership is reported correctly
confirm that quest story items&objects are only revealed to applicable pilots
completed

5.story system & misc checks
final adjustments to universe
insertion of storylines and custom objects
final checks before taking the dynamic server out of beta
testing
warsign
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by warsign »

Too much works to do Verbosity.

U2U me, if you need test drives.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

nah not really, most of the work is done, its just making sure it works now

most of it is actually just joining up the bits, and making sure they work correctly.

The first step is pretty much finished now, the actually univeres are building correctly and the different plans and independant pilots can all fly togather which is a good thing.

I've had to do a fair amount of re-designing to include the 'factions' but thats done so the rep system should be being put in place later today or tomorrow.

Feel free to test as much as you want, it pretty much involves just using the launcher and flying on the server :)
Wavey
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

need a little help....

Post by Wavey »

when i click on dynamic it lets me login but then legends does not start?
Just needed to download the launcher again.

[Edited on 2-22-2009 by Wavey]
warsign
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by warsign »

Finally I did it.
I have solved the problem.
It is not your mistake Verbosity. It works ok now.
LtCasey
Ensign
Ensign

need a little help....

Post by LtCasey »

Hi,

since yesterday, when I tested on the dynamic server, I am not able to join any other MP-Server. I tried it with the launcher.exe, removed it from Evochron directory and tried it with the normal .exe.
No success, everytime I join the server for a few secs, then I get kicked without a warning or a mismatch message, or anything like that.

I post it in this thread, cause it seems to interfear with the common game. Before using the dynamic launcher, I had no problems joining any MP server.

Do I have to remove the universedata?

Regards

Cas

[Bearbeitet am 23-4-2009 von LtCasey]

[Bearbeitet am 23-4-2009 von LtCasey]
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by LtCasey
since yesterday, when I tested on the dynamic server, I am not able to join any other MP-Server. I tried it with the launcher.exe, removed it from Evochron directory and tried it with the normal .exe.
No success, everytime I join the server for a few secs, then I get kicked without a warning or a mismatch message, or anything like that.

I post it in this thread, cause it seems to interfear with the common game. Before using the dynamic launcher, I had no problems joining any MP server.
run the launcher again and click on the normal game button, this resets any changes to allow you to play on standard servers :)
LtCasey
Ensign
Ensign

need a little help....

Post by LtCasey »

Ursprünglich verfasst von verbosity
Originally posted by LtCasey

run the launcher again and click on the normal game button, this resets any changes to allow you to play on standard servers :)
This was what I did, assuming this is then normal game button for. But I didn`t work.

Reinstalled EL and now it works again. Have been on the Asylum server for 30 minutes.

Regards
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

I've had the odd similar report with both the dynamic button and the normal button not working, nine times out of 10 you can just run the launcher again and it'll work :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

need a little help....

Post by Marvin »

:) LtCasey, thanks for bumping this topic.
LtCasey
Ensign
Ensign

need a little help....

Post by LtCasey »

Problem occured again. Tried to start a normal game via the dynamic launcher. Signed to the asylum server, joined, and get kicked within seconds.
Restarted the game with the standard launcher, on the asylum server again, and get kicked. I don´t understand it.

Any Ideas?

Regards
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

need a little help....

Post by Vice »

Watch for a red text message at the top that states the universe data file does not match the server's. That is the most likely cause. IIRC, I had a problem with the launcher also not restoring the original universe data file correctly. Sometimes, you have to manually copy or rename the file to get the default universe back. Alternatively, you can also just reinstall the game (if you've left the installation and save data folder in one location) and the installer will restore the default universe for you.

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Vice
Alternatively, you can also just reinstall the game (if you've left the installation and save data folder in one location) and the installer will restore the default universe for you.

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by Vice]
I'll include that at the top of the FAQ.

I've been asked if I've wanted any help, and mostly I've been "yeah I'm cool but I'll get back to you", But The dynamic universe system is getting to the point where ppl power would be cool. No coding exp is needed, but I'm looking for admins and clan admins. Both groups would be required to do user management ( for instance allowing users into and out of clans and factions etc), but also for story implementation. Currently I've got a system built where users can suggest news stories, and these need to be approved and managed. this also applies to the custom object system ( clan capital ships/ stations), and some other story based niverse changes that would have to be made manually. If you're interested contact me :)
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

well the server is running again, I'll probably have a couple of bugs to work out over the next day or so.

I should be able to keep running it 24/7 from now on :)

[Edited on 5-9-2009 by verbosity]
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

the server is currently offline for the moment ( I think it has been for a few days, but I've been away and pretty busy with a few thing). I've a few technical issues to sort out, as soon as they have been cleared up I'll post here :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by Maarschalk »

Thanks fot the update!;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

hi,

I've not been around much of late ( good wheather means the kiddies need to be outside, and I'm very busy with other projects). So I'm looking for a couple of willing volunteers.
duties would include:
1.daily server checks ( check the server is running and connectable), as well as server resets.
2. daily website checks ( checking user details, updating the news system, confirming that systems updates are working).
3.news and story development, suggesting storylines and ensuring that the system is kept up to date ( some storylines will be made active manually).
4. as the system develops there will be some bug testing, and custom-item control, though this would be after the release of the next launcher.

Anyone who wishes to do this will be given admin access of the web-server, and teamviewer access to the machine that evochron is run on. Generally I'd expect this to take around 5-10 minutes of work each day ( less mostly ),. Its all pretty simple work, no skills are required other than being able to use a computer and navigate a webpage.

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by verbosity]
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

ok I've finally managed to get past what could be considered my final obstacle in this.

In the next day or so ( hopefully) I'll have re-jigged my code so that all the main features of the dynamic server will be functional. At the moment the launcher will not support these features, but I'll be giving a link to a login page which will allow you to download a zip file with them in it.

once I've verified that the files being put into each zip file are correct I'll launch the final stage of the beta. This will be a slightly restricted test, I'm going to be doing everything in sapphire and another nearby region. This will allow me to test easily that values are being altered as they should ( much easier to track changes in a smaller 2-system universe than the current one ).

All being well I hope for the beta to last for 1 week, at which point I'm hoping that it'll finally be out of beta ( YaY ! :cool: )

edit: post above still applies too

[Edited on 7-27-2009 by verbosity]
warsign
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by warsign »

Yes, I can't wait. :cool:
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

for those who are really interested, while I work away on the server I'll be running a series of tests, if you really want to join you can using the universedata.txt file available here just place it in your game directory, remember to make a copy of the standard universe first though !

I'll have the zip file system ready sometime this evening.

[Edited on 7-27-2009 by verbosity]
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

A bit delayed....

http://www.verbsleagues.co.uk/universedata.zip

Please extract these files to your game dir.

There should be something interesting in.

SX:0
SY:0
SZ:2
x:35000
y:1000
z:5500

All being well with this test I'll move the system to fully dynamic and provide the login/download link ( very similar to the way the launcher works except you'll have to download and extract the .zip file yourself.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

need a little help....

Post by verbosity »

Sorry to be a pain, but I really can't move on without a confirmed connection, and I can't try myself.

I'm willing to forgo most of the rest of the tests since they would be for game-balancing adjustments that can be made later if needed, and the launcher is nearly ready, so a few test connections using the zip above would be useful.

Regards,
Verb
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

need a little help....

Post by shewter »

Just tried to connect verb and got a "universe file does not match host"

Ok I tried again with the universe file from 7-27-2009. and it work:)
very cool.That object is interesting.....what is it? lol.
Also I noticed that the in the zip file when you extract it the universe file is named universedata. with a period at the end.I tried re naming it, but I still couldnt connect with that file.

[Edited on 7-30-2009 by shewter]
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

need a little help....

Post by Accountant »

Don't know what I'm missing, but every time I use the launcher I get the following error:

CWD:C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegends
LOAD IMAGE background.png,1

-Accountant

EDIT:
Never mind, didn't need the launcher to log on. Everything seemed to work fine server-wise. I got on ok, flew around a bit, then left.

[Edited on 7-30-2009 by Accountant]
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit