X cockpits

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

I am building new cockpits for EL.

Please post your favorite cockpits and game names please.
Screenshots are also going well.
AngelaDeth
Ensign
Ensign

X cockpits

Post by AngelaDeth »

It's not from another game but I sure would love to have a high quality Firefly Class Transport cockpit from the Firefly series =)
Gwen
a.k.a. FlyGirl
a.k.a. AngelaDeth

My Fokker D.VIII Builder\'s Journal and In-Flight Video
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by tk7223 »

I am partial to those older styles from games like WingCommander or X-wing/TieFighter. Although they would need to be upgraded to highrez more realistic artwork..I was playing with cut/paste layout from a Tie Fighter cockpit myself just to see what it might look like...here's a link to my work in progress...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7T ... directlink
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by tk7223
I am partial to those older styles from games like WingCommander or X-wing/TieFighter. Although they would need to be upgraded to highrez more realistic artwork..I was playing with cut/paste layout from a Tie Fighter cockpit myself just to see what it might look like...here's a link to my work in progress...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7T ... directlink
I decided to build a Tie fighter cockpit and I will.
Your cockpit is so easy to build, 2d, if I can find some free time, I will send you :)

ANother samples???

We can create a dream cockpit for Evochron series, c'mon!!!!!

[Edited on 2-16-2009 by warsign]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by tk7223 »

Here's a higher resolution Tiecockpit I grabbed off a google image search...but I haven't tried to mod it yet.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-c ... directlink
Blackthorne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by Blackthorne »

I'd prefer a (suitably modded for function) version of the original X - BTF cockpit. (Yes kids, a long time ago, on a PC system far far away, X games actually had cockpits...)

You'd probably have to place an extra screen or two, but I like the "open" design. Here's a decent screenshot.
http://costa.kofeina.net/uploads/soft/x ... 01-big.jpg

-Blackthorne
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Blackthorne
I'd prefer a (suitably modded for function) version of the original X - BTF cockpit. (Yes kids, a long time ago, on a PC system far far away, X games actually had cockpits...)

You'd probably have to place an extra screen or two, but I like the "open" design. Here's a decent screenshot.
http://costa.kofeina.net/uploads/soft/x ... 01-big.jpg

-Blackthorne
Back in the days...
What a game.
X series had a cockpits that days.

Nice idea, thanks Blackthorne.

Ps: I google all internet.
Few amount of cockpits are worthy...

We can build unique one. :)

[Edited on 2-20-2009 by warsign]
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Eclipse
I'd like a cockpit styled after the F-35.
F35?
Edit: Any screenshot?

Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by Daedalao »

I can't find the pictures, but I'll put the show in later... I might model a cockpit after an SA-43 Hammerhead's cockpit (from space above and beyond)
Zenith
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by Zenith »

Indeed, and here is another view of it. Not a bad cockpit at all, and more than suitable for a space sim.
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Zenith
Indeed, and here is another view of it. Not a bad cockpit at all, and more than suitable for a space sim.
It's ok. Looks nice. We can build like this for EL.
I will open a poll which consists of your ideas, winner will be our new cockpit.
It can be a hybrid cockpit of course.

We need new ideas and screenshots to build our new cockpit.

Thanks for participating.

Waiting another ideas if exists. :)
spelk
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

X cockpits

Post by spelk »

Ok, what about a Viper Mark II cockpit from BSG?
http://www.freewebs.com/battlestarguard ... t_Mk_2.jpg

or perhaps the Viper Mark VII cockpit?
http://www.freewebs.com/battlestarguard ... ionics.jpg

What I would love the most would be a Raptor cockpit, but I can't find any images of those.. :(
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Wow.
Those ones which I'm looking for...

Thank you very much Spelk.

If you find Raptor's, please post it here.

WeirdWill
Ensign
Ensign

X cockpits

Post by WeirdWill »

I like these cockpits:

small cockpits

larger frames 1

larger frames 2

larger frames 2

[Bearbeitet am 20-2-2009 von WeirdWill]
-The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible-
Arthur C. Clarke
Aguila
Ensign
Ensign

X cockpits

Post by Aguila »

Originally posted by AngelaDeth
It's not from another game but I sure would love to have a high quality Firefly Class Transport cockpit from the Firefly series =)
I'm a fan of the series, but that cockpit always struck me as very impractical. The bridge area is set way back from the windows, so there isn't much of a forward view. This was probably done to allow for camera angles behind the console, looking back at pilot and crew faces while remaining inside the ship. As a result, the piloting seemed like it was mostly done through console monitor screens, and the windows were just there so the crew could point and yell "oh no.... Reavers!!!". That setup might work for a cargo-only ship, but I'd want something with better sight lines for anything involved in combat (which Serenity wasn't equipped for, IIRC).

BTW, there's a user-made flyable Firefly in the X-Plane flight sim. It's fun to fly as a VTOL bird, but the cockpit just uses a generic instrument panel so it wouldn't work for a mod.

As my personal ideal, I like having lots of canopy area with minimal struts and obstructions. I like Carwash's cockpit but even that has a bit more girder obstruction than it needs, IMO.

In particular, I'd like to see the lower edge of the screen with a clear view of the outside from under the main panels, something like what a helicopter pilot sees. I want to see the city detail below my feet when coming in for a planet landing, or the surface of a planet as I'm mining. It might even be useful in combat, if you overshoot a target from above (like a capital ship) and can still see it sliding below you. For some reason, the helicopter view just appeals to me more than fighter jet cockpits that are all canopy above, and all displays and stuff below. I'll try to find some shots of helicopter interiors from X-Plane as samples and post 'em here.

Also, how hard would it be to mod the default cockpit to remove the gray panel area underneath the displays, and make that area a clear canopy? If that area were clear, it would look like the displays were sitting on a curved bar reaching across the front, and I think that would look pretty neat. Is there a bitmap somewhere that could be edited for alpha channel, or is the default cockpit hard-coded?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X cockpits

Post by Vice »

Also, how hard would it be to mod the default cockpit to remove the gray panel area underneath the displays, and make that area a clear canopy? If that area were clear, it would look like the displays were sitting on a curved bar reaching across the front, and I think that would look pretty neat. Is there a bitmap somewhere that could be edited for alpha channel, or is the default cockpit hard-coded?
Open the Options menu, click on 3D Cockpit until it reads 'Off'. You will then have the displays fixed to the screen without the background cockpit structures. Alternatively, you can also turn off the struts and just leave the bottom portion of the cockpit visible.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by WeirdWill
I like these cockpits:

small cockpits

larger frames 1

larger frames 2

larger frames 2

[Bearbeitet am 20-2-2009 von WeirdWill]
I liked small one.
AngelaDeth
Ensign
Ensign

X cockpits

Post by AngelaDeth »

Originally posted by Aguila
Originally posted by AngelaDeth
I'm a fan of the series, but that cockpit always struck me as very impractical. The bridge area is set way back from the windows, so there isn't much of a forward view. This was probably done to allow for camera angles behind the console, looking back at pilot and crew faces while remaining inside the ship. As a result, the piloting seemed like it was mostly done through console monitor screens, and the windows were just there so the crew could point and yell "oh no.... Reavers!!!". That setup might work for a cargo-only ship, but I'd want something with better sight lines for anything involved in combat (which Serenity wasn't equipped for, IIRC).

BTW, there's a user-made flyable Firefly in the X-Plane flight sim. It's fun to fly as a VTOL bird, but the cockpit just uses a generic instrument panel so it wouldn't work for a mod.

As my personal ideal, I like having lots of canopy area with minimal struts and obstructions. I like Carwash's cockpit but even that has a bit more girder obstruction than it needs, IMO.

In particular, I'd like to see the lower edge of the screen with a clear view of the outside from under the main panels, something like what a helicopter pilot sees. I want to see the city detail below my feet when coming in for a planet landing, or the surface of a planet as I'm mining. It might even be useful in combat, if you overshoot a target from above (like a capital ship) and can still see it sliding below you. For some reason, the helicopter view just appeals to me more than fighter jet cockpits that are all canopy above, and all displays and stuff below. I'll try to find some shots of helicopter interiors from X-Plane as samples and post 'em here.

I do agree with you about the forward view in the fireflly transports. It isn't really suited for combat or looking around visually much. Something more like a Millenium Falcon Style cockpit would probably lend itself better to EL.
Gwen
a.k.a. FlyGirl
a.k.a. AngelaDeth

My Fokker D.VIII Builder\'s Journal and In-Flight Video
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by tk7223 »

Did a little more work on mod'ing Warsigns cockpit to a 'Star Trek' LCARS style..Here's a link to a screen shot-http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Af ... directlink

I still need to re-color the IDTS for easier viewing. Also, the Shield warning looks much like the one in the screen shot, except it says SHIELDS CRITICAL in the center. I'm pretty happy with the restyled compass..Thanks again Warsign and Vice for making this easy to change. ;)
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Compass looks fine,really liked it.

Warnings come little bit big for me.

You have to work IDS, according to me it has to be little transparent.

Good work.
Thank you very much.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by tk7223 »

Thanks!..on the MDTS(my typo on last post)..I'm wanting to move it to a new location(when I figure out how), upper left center display(I have a small graph there now). So I wanted it solid colors..but it's something i'm playing with during my breaks from my other project work..more photo's should be coming on that later this weekend.

[Edited on 2-21-2009 by tk7223]
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by Daedalao »

In response to the firefly transport bridge... if anyone made it, it'd need the dinosaurs and the palm trees ;)
spelk
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

X cockpits

Post by spelk »

This sounds like a competition for Warsign.. :)
http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/02/20/cockpit-compo
warsign
Captain
Captain

X cockpits

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by spelk
This sounds like a competition for Warsign.. :)
http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/02/20/cockpit-compo
It is great.
We can join the competition with Evochron...
29 March is deadline.
Good thing for our new cockpit.
In 10 days we have to decide something worthy...

Thanks spelk... :cool:

Edit: @Vice, we want to join with EL. Is it ok for you?

[Edited on 2-21-2009 by warsign]
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X cockpits

Post by Daedalao »

As I understand it, the TIGSource compos require a game to be built during the time of the competition. That means that you make the cockpit and the game it goes with in two weeks... I don't have the programming skill to do anything like this :(