Hello, fellow gamers.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by Matt_The_Miscreant »

In my search for space combat and trading type games, I recently cam across Riftspace. I must say, for a free download, this is one hell of a game. I would have even paid for this one, after playing a demo.(I demo anything before I buy) That being said, Evochron Renegades looks awesome, but alas, I have no 3D graphics card. Ok, all that out of the way, anyone have any tips for a new Riftspace player? I've got the basics down, and made a fair amount of credits. I'm primarily looking for advice on gaining combat levels, and some on weapons and ships. Once again, thank you all for this great game.

P.S. I've been on lots of forums around the net, and most are full of idiots. You people here, from the little bit I've read, seem to be intelligent and courteous. Kudos to you guys for running such a fine forum.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning...
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Matt_The_Miscreant, Welcome 2 our space. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Thanks you sir. I myself am an Army vet. (Afghanistan, Iraq.)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by Vice »

Hello Matt and welcome. We try to maintain a good forum here :) If you send me a quick e-mail ( http://www.starwraith.com/contact.htm ) I'll e-mail you a zip of the strategy guide for the game, which has a lot of tips and information.

[Edited on 2-6-2009 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by Daedalao »

Matt, welcome aboard... if you've got an AGP slot, I've got an older card you can have if I can find a box to put it in I think it's a 7300gs.

Iraq vet here :)

[Edited on 2-6-2009 by Daedalao]
Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Thanks for the offer Daedalao, but that's a negative on the AGP slot. I just opened her up to check, 4 PCI slots(2 used), 2 RAM slots(Both used). But once again, thanks for the offer.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by tha_rami »

I can honestly recommend you to get something like a $39,95 PCI videocard to enjoy Renegades and/or Legends depending on your system specs'. Riftspace was the very first game I played when I got here, and I still remember how awesome it was. You'll have good fun, skip the spoiler section in the strategy guide Vice is about to send you for a great trip :).

Welcome aboard!

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by BraveHart »

Welcome Aboard Matt_The_Miscreant.....You will find a lot of Really cool people here and a lot of Veterans also ;) all are very helpful and will do their best to help you.
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

I actually downloaded that guide right before that post(found a link on google), and read it all. And decided to forget what I read. What I was actually wondering is how many ships are there? I currently have two Rigel Corvettes. Also, are the weapons the same as SW 3&4?
Weasel
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by Weasel »

Greetings Matt, and welcome to the forum. Riftspace was my entry addiction to StarWraith games as well.

Only PCI slots huh? That got me thinking of my first hardware upgrade, the Creative Technology 3D Blaster Banshee, (16 MB) PCI Video Card. That was back in the day when I started playing X-Wing and TIE-Fighter Series, but I digress.

I did a quick search online at www.newegg.com. These two cards seem to fit the bill for being affordable (around $50) and providing good PCI graphics support:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130188
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161184

They should still be in stock. Hope this helps.
Ib\'tuur jatne tuur ash\'ad kyr\'amur.
Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Is 16mb enough to run legends? Smoothly of course, like 60 fps or better.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by tha_rami »

16MB? No. System requirements state 128MB is good, 256MB is best.

System requirements available here.

Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

I meant video RAM. I have 320 ram on the motherboard.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by tha_rami »

That is video RAM. For system RAM, 2GB or more is recommended. If your motherboard currently has 320MB RAM, to play the Evochron titles, I'd recommend ditching the upgrading option and instead looking for a cheap Dual Core PC with a cheap videocard like the ones listed above.

But like said, Riftspace surely is an entertaining title, and you'll have a blast playing through it. Makes me want to install it again, the squad buying was fun :).

Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

Yea, I'm kinda in the market for a new PC. Money is an object for me though, and a very big one at that. I'm probably gonna build it from the ground up, already have the tower and power supply. And you're right about RS, I'm having a blast already, I just found the first artifact on xxxxx x(don't wanna spoil), and bought a firestorm(which I didn't like, and assigned my wingman).

P.S. My wingman(I only have one) doesn't seem to do much, even when I tell him to break formation and attack. I seem to kill all the enemies before he kills one. Is this normal?
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Hello, fellow gamers.

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Matt_The_Miscreant
P.S. My wingman(I only have one) doesn't seem to do much, even when I tell him to break formation and attack. I seem to kill all the enemies before he kills one. Is this normal?
The wongmen help to 'support' you, its still your job to take the offensive. they will help you out and keep you alive for longer, esp when the going gets tough, beyond that stick close and they'll be an extra target :P
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Matt_The_Miscreant
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, fellow gamers.

I see. another target to draw fire is always useful, I just though he should be killing something. I guess I'll stop buying him weapons, since he doesn't seem to use them.