Best 3D modeling software for a newbie?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winter Owl »

So I have a cockpit design taking shape in my head. I've made a few sketches, and it looks like this could work well. I like the notion of learning a new skill while I'm also learning this game.

My only experience in anything even remotely resembling 3D modeling was an "intro to drafting" course in high school shop class nineteen years ago. I don't think that'll help too much.

I'm taking a look at the free versions of Blender and Google Sketchup; both programs appear to be popular choices for newbies to learn on. Blender looks like it has far more features, but Sketchup is designed to be easier to learn and use. Both programs offer a variety of tutorials.

All this leads up to a few questions:

Will either of these programs produce a cockpit model in a form that is usable by Evochron? Keep in mind I'm looking at the free versions, which are more limited than the full versions.

If I start work on my design based on Evochron Renegades, will it still be usable in Legends?

Is there another 3D modeling program that I should be using instead?

If any of you experienced folk could nudge me in a beneficial direction, I'd be grateful. :)
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

You'll need to use the X model format or 3DS (although 3DS can be difficult to work with). For most of the model work I do for the game, I use Metaseq (there is a free version for this as well):

http://www.metaseq.net/english/index.html

It has a good (functional) X export option that works well with the game. Blender may work also, although I don't know what kind of X export options it may have. Not sure on the Google program.

The cockpit system in Legends is different, it requires three layers of the same object. Details will be available once the customizing kit is ready, but in short, one layer is used for the structure, one for the specular, and one for the illumination layer. So a Renegades design can work, but it will need to use three objects with unique textures for each material layer.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winter Owl »

Wow. Only twelve minutes from questions posted to the reply. I'm seriously impressed. :o

Thank you very much, Vice. I'll take a look at that program and see if I can make heads or tails of it. :)
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Originally posted by Winter Owl
Wow. Only twelve minutes from questions posted to the reply. I'm seriously impressed. :o

Thank you very much, Vice. I'll take a look at that program and see if I can make heads or tails of it. :)
Must be a busy nite for him.
He's been much faster than that!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by MMaggio
Originally posted by Winter Owl

Must be a busy nite for him.
He's been much faster than that!
LolX35000
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Vice

The cockpit system in Legends is different, it requires three layers of the same object. Details will be available once the customizing kit is ready, but in short, one layer is used for the structure, one for the specular, and one for the illumination layer. So a Renegades design can work, but it will need to use three objects with unique textures for each material layer.
I can be able to build brand new shiny cockpits for Legends.
Stay tuned.
Warsign starts to build again... :cool:

Also I nearly finished my frames for Renegades.
New breath for Renegades, you won't leave this game that easy :)

[Edited on 1-31-2009 by warsign]
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Vices' ability to multitask is detoriating as he gets older. That probably means that by the time we have colonized Sapphire in real life, he'll respond in a normal timespan of 12 hours.

Also, as for software, I might recommend Milkshape. For space-ships, DoGa L2 or L3 are both fun stuff, but I realy would recommend Milkkshape as a first step into 3D. After that, try something like Maya LE.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news