Just another freakin\' newbie.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winter Owl »

Hello all. :)

I'm Owl, and this looks like a great game. I'm relatively inexperienced with the whole combat sim genre, so I plan on practicing a lot in the singleplayer game before meeting you in the multi. But I'll be there, sooner or later, and fun will be had.

While I was shopping around for a game to try, I decided to just bite the bullet and spend the money on toys I know I'd be wanting to buy forever, so am currently setting up my X52 and am waiting for the TrackIR to arrive.

I wonder if anybody could help me out a little bit with the X52... Tell me, what commands do you think are the most important and/or most often used in combat? Those are the commands I'll try to set up where they're the easiest to use and remember.

Looking forward to shooting at and being shot by all of you. :cool:
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Yes, great game.
Welcome Owl.
Nice avatar and name indeed.

For X52, please check Joystick threat and ask MMaggio via U2U or directly via forum. He is very good at it and you can learn everything from them. And Vice, creator of the game also uses X52 and Eclipse, best pilot of Evochron -imho (I am num2 :P, yet...).

Welcome home, I am sure, you will enjoy with the best flight sim of the universe....

See you in Mp then. You can join in Mp for fast learning, very good teacher (aka Yoda) and pilots out there, they all will glad to help you...

See you soon :)
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Welcome aboard Winter Owl....I do not use an X52, yet. But I do use a logitech attack3 and I have enjoyed setting it up to use afterburners, rolling left or right, changing of secondary weapons and reverse thrusters to name a few...it boils down to how each individual pilot likes to fly depending on their style of flying and the tactics they employ.... experiment and I am sure you will find the right combo to fit your needs to survive in ER or Legends. ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

The Saitek X52 can handle every command there is with buttons to spare. Where you assign commands depends on what feels confortable and intuitive to you. You might go thru' three or four profiles before you find one that works best for you.
Just U2U me if you need any help or have questions about programming the controller.
Have fun!:)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Welcome to our space Owl. Great sim and Great people here. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Storm »

Owl,

Here is an image depicting how I set my X52 (Pro) up, maybe it can help you decide how to set up your own buttons:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34159828@N ... 3/sizes/o/

(edit - changed the settings)

NOTE: If using the SST/Profiler, by default the "Pinkie Switch" is a "shiftstate button"... if you want to free up the pinkie switch so that you can assign functions to it, you have to delete the three "MODE + PINKIE" modes from the six default modes in the SST Editor for the profile that you are making.

I explained a little bit how I set up the image and why in the thread:
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&page=12

Not a necessity, but I would at least recommend you visit here:
http://www.saitekforum.com/
.... only three main areas will appear (when visiting as a "guest"). If you register and log on as a registered user, 24 areas show up.

[Edited on 1-30-2009 by Storm]
Storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Storm »

(ach) Don't know why I didn't remember to do this before....

Here is a BLANK X52 (Pro) template... in a paint application, you can fill in your own button labels, and color the LEDs however you have them colored for any particular game.

It's very printer friendly, uses very little ink:
http://flickr.com/photos/34159828@N06/3 ... 3/sizes/o/
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winter Owl »

Thank you very much for the welcome and the advice. :)

In the short time I've been reading through these forums, I've noticed a marked absence of flaming/trolling as compared to most other game forums. This may be a comfortable place to hang out, I think.
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daedalao »

I would say that the title of this thread should be, "Another awesome new guy!" Because as you've said, there really is no reason to flame on these forums... part of the reason why I've stayed. Logging into multiplayer could be useful, as some of the veteran pilots enjoy talking tactics and training. They may also show you a few things to help you along in the vastness that comprises the evochron universe. I have to admit that there are threads between the two primary clans in Evochron Renegades when they are at war, but they never reduce themselves to slinging sophomoric insults... (well, not usually, mainly food references)

I almost forgot to say, this is more of a community struggling together than just a forum. Oh how I do enjoy the game, and hope that you will too. I hope to see you in multiplayer some time soon :D

[Edited on 1-28-2009 by Daedalao]
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Food... :D
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Daedalao
I would say that the title of this thread should be, "Another awesome new guy!" Because as you've said, there really is no reason to flame on these forums... part of the reason why I've stayed. Logging into multiplayer could be useful, as some of the veteran pilots enjoy talking tactics and training. They may also show you a few things to help you along in the vastness that comprises the evochron universe. I have to admit that there are threads between the two primary clans in Evochron Renegades when they are at war, but they never reduce themselves to slinging sophomoric insults... (well, not usually, mainly food references)

I almost forgot to say, this is more of a community struggling together than just a forum. Oh how I do enjoy the game, and hope that you will too. I hope to see you in multiplayer some time soon :D

Well said Daedalao.
See you all in Mp...
Storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Storm »

Originally posted by warsign
Originally posted by Daedalao

Well said Daedalao.
See you all in Mp...
Not all of us, unfortunately.
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winter Owl »

I have a small problem, and I wonder if anybody can help me out. I'm doing something wrong in the game.

I've never been able to complete the contracts to clean the solar arrays. I accept the contract, fly to the array, turn on the tractor beam, and carefully focus the beam on each square until they're all uniformly dark. Then... what? Something else must have to happen, but I'm not seeing it. I don't get the contract completed message; there's no cash. I fly back to the base which offered the contract, and only see the option to cancel the contract.

The same thing happened last night with my first combat contract. The contract specified an estimated two enemies to eliminate. I flew to the given coordinates, blew up the single red ship loitering there... and nothing else happened. No other reds in sight, and no readily apparent way to complete the contract.

Any hints? :)
Pay no attention to me!
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

1. Solar arrays: Once all of the squares are clean you will get the message "contract completed"...if you don't get the message and the panels look clean just go over each panel again till you get the message....some times there is just a little bit left on one of the panels.

2. Combat contract: Sometimes when you reach the nav point not all of the Hostiles are there to greet you. When this happens fly around the area and see if a red shows up...another thing you can do is to jump somewhere else in the "Same Sector" to pick up a red. if you jump out of the assigned sector you will get a mission failed message. Try jumping back to the station and wait for a red...once you pop another red...even if it is not at the same nav you will get the credit.

"Good Flying" ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by PingBosun
WO - Contracts are much more fun in MP.

Join us and have a great time. Youi do not have to be clan affilliated either to get the money!!!
Yeap!