Error 102 on Custom Cockpit Model

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

I'm working on creating a customer cockpit for ER, but I've run into a snag that I can't find a solution for. Whenever I try to launch the game it crashes with ERROR 102. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Here's the process I use to create the model:

I create the model itself in a modelling program I acquired for another game. I export this model in the OBJ format. I then import the model into Metaseq and save it as a .X formatted file.

I haven't done any texturing on the model yet, I just want to get it in game so I can fine-tune it before I start texturing.

Is there something I am missing? Any selections that need to be on the model or a certain setting that needs to be selected when exporting with Metaseq? What does ERROR 102 mean?

Also, is there any 3d modelling program that can open .x files as well as save them? Metaseq can't open .x files, so I'm stuck viewing the .x file through DirectX Viewer.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

-Accountant
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Are you still using the 'no struts' mod? If so, the game is trying to address limbs that no longer exist with your custom cockpit. Delete the nostruts.txt file and the 102 error should go away.

I think TrueSpace and GameSpace can import X files and both export ok (although GameSpace is poly capped in demo mode).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

*slaps head*

I can't believe I did that. That is unbelievably embarrassing...

Eliminating the no struts mod did indeed fix the problem. Thanks Vice! You guys need an embarrassed smiley in these forums...

I'll take a look at Truespace and Gamespace, thanks for the suggestions!

If I run into any more problems, count on seeing me again.

-Accountant

Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by shewter »

You could try blender it doesnt have the best Direct x import export but I got it to work for my custom cockpit.

http://www.blender.org/

If you decide to go with truespace ver 7.6 is now free

http://www.caligari.com/

[Edited on 1-4-2009 by shewter]
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

I've tried blender, but it doesn't seem to import .x files that come with the mod pack, nor those created by metaseq. Not to mention that the learning curve is unbelievably steep.

Thanks for the link to Truespace, though. I will definately take a look at it.

Another question regarding cockpit models. When I load up ER, it places the user view at the very back of the model. I've seen custom cockpits that have the view set within the model. How is this done?

Thanks again!

-Accountant

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another question regarding cockpit models. When I load up ER, it places the user view at the very back of the model. I've seen custom cockpits that have the view set within the model. How is this done?
By default object placement. If your perspective is too far back, move the cockpit back farther in the model editor before exporting to X. The front structure in the customizing kit gives the position of the gauges, which additional structures can be built around. However, if you already have a cockpit model built, you likely just need to move things around a bit to get the right location.
StarWraith 3D Games
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by shewter »

Originally posted by Accountant
I've tried blender, but it doesn't seem to import .x files that come with the mod pack, nor those created by metaseq. Not to mention that the learning curve is unbelievably steep.

Thanks for the link to Truespace, though. I will definately take a look at it.

Thanks again!

-Accountant

Yea It wouldnt import models for me either but When I made my own cockpit and exported it and then reimported it worked fine, not sure why this is.And yes it is a steep learning curve but I've been using it for a few years now, and when I tried truespace I thought that had a steep learning curve.
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

@Vice
Thanks for all of your help. With your help I have just about finished the model and got the view right ingame. Now I'm starting to begin texturing.

Another quick question for you, though. Is it possible to change the position of the annunciators (Shield, System, Caution, M-Lock, ect)? I didn't see anything in gauges.txt, and I tried naming the relevant parts of my model after the texture name (hud_alert1, ect) to see if I could "trick" the game into moving them, but to no avail. Is what I want to do possible?

@Shewter
You're right, Truespace does have a high learning curve... I guess I'll stick with Metaseq for now. I don't have enough time to learn Blender or Truespace (though I wish I did...).

Thanks to both of you, you have been a real help.

-Accountant

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another quick question for you, though. Is it possible to change the position of the annunciators (Shield, System, Caution, M-Lock, ect)? I didn't see anything in gauges.txt, and I tried naming the relevant parts of my model after the texture name (hud_alert1, ect) to see if I could "trick" the game into moving them, but to no avail. Is what I want to do possible?
Not currently, although in a limited way you can move them around slightly. The images used are pretty large so you can move the indicator around to a different area that's blank to relocate it. Just use a smaller icon, maybe in a higher resolution (256X256 for example), then move the icon to an edge or corner. Not a huge range of movement, but if you need to reposition it a bit higher lower, or off to one side further because of a larger gunsight or something, that's an option.
StarWraith 3D Games
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Accountant »

Guess I'll have to slightly modify my cockpit object, then. No problem.

You idea is an interesting one, though. I may be able to make use of that to raise the missile lock annunciator just a hair. Thanks again.