Hitchhikers Guide to the Evochron Galaxy

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know about a little project I've been working on. I actually started it sometime ago and Vice was very helpful with answering lots of questions I had. Unfortunately my PC died and I lost a lot of work so it just got left...... until today when I found some of the files and decided to start working on it again. It's not quite finished yet but is getting close so thought I'd show a few screenshots.

Image Image

The program takes the Universe file from Evochron Renegades and uses it to create maps and a guide to virtually everything in the game. You can zoom in on the map and scroll around it using the mouse. At the moment you can only zoom in as far as 1 pixel per sector which isn't close enough to easily distinguish individual items but I will add a subsector zoom at a later date. To the left of the screen you will see you can pick individual systems and then list information about everything within that system.

I hope to release this tool soon so stay tuned for more info...
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Hey! Don't give this project up! I look forward to the finished map. What a boon! I'm the worst navigater there is and what you propose will be a big help.
Thanks...
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

That looks Very, Very cool :cool:
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
mcmad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mcmad »

looks good, and very useful
keep at it!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wow! Nice work! Excellent interface. I look forward to checking it out.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
ASBOMAN
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by ASBOMAN »

Totally blinding effort, can't wait for the useable version to be released.
Lt. Commander [SW]CW403
ImageImage[SW]HELLFIRE SQUADRON

Imagex4Image
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Wow. Looks very well designed.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d_k_k_y »

Looks like a great tool, keep up the good work!
StarWolves Clan
Captain
HunterKiller
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HunterKiller »

That tool was called "DataStorm."

It's used by modders to review and locate what all they've placed in a mod. It gives pinpoint locations of everything to players if they use it.

It's like the above, it scans the entire mod and sets up the locations of everything added to the mods.

It does have some quirks now and then when reading different mods, it doesn't always do so well. I've used it and it's worked fine at times and then...blah. I don't use it anymore.

The Freelancers Companion it's about the best tool I've found to use in Freelancer but it's more of a Traders tool with base locations, commodities at bases and prices, routes, etc....It has the best maps for the game as well.

It's freeware made by: Olivier Marcoux and I'm sure you can contact him somehow but I don't have the URL to give you to do so. I DL'd the tool off of Lancersreactor three years ago and during that time, it's had regular updates without having to check the site for them.

Hope this helps?

HK

Would that program work with other mods as well?
If so, because of the layout it has, I would much rather have that one for Freelancer, (in secret) than the others I have.

[Edited on 7-23-2008 by HunterKiller]
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Everywhere I hear Freelancer.What a game!!!

Nice software, hope it works...
ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Originally posted by Eclipse
Since this reads the universe file, even custom universes can be mapped easily?
Definately, providng the universe file follows the Evochron Renegades format it will work fine.
Originally posted by HunterKiller
Would that program work with other mods as well?
If so, because of the layout it has, I would much rather have that one for Freelancer, (in secret) than the others I have.
If you mean would this work with Freelancer then unfortunately no as the format will be totally different. As said above though it should work with Evochron mods providing they follow the correct format. I'll check out those freelancer tools you mentioned, might give me some ideas.
Originally posted by warsign
Nice software, hope it works...
It's working already, I just need to iron out some bugs and add a few more bits and pieces and it will be ready to go :)

I also develop a lot of software for the GP2X console and I had what I think is quite a cool idea (or perhaps I'm just sad). I'm going to make a stripped down mini version of this software that I can run on my GP2X and have it controlled by the touchscreen so I can use it while playing the game. All that info at my fingertips when I need it :)
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Sounds good.Thanks for the valuable effort.
Really nice work,member of the year!!!
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

I'm really interested to see how you display 'depth' ( Sy plane), this isn't much of an issue with the current standard universe, but could be on custom maps......
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

Originally posted by verbosity
I'm really interested to see how you display 'depth' ( Sy plane), this isn't much of an issue with the current standard universe, but could be on custom maps......
At the moment I haven't bothered with a side view as most things are on a fairly flat plane however I will at somepoint add an option to view from the side as well. Until I add in a more detailed subsector map it doesn't really matter as you can't zoom in enough to see individual objects clearly. What you can do though is switch on and off markers to show the locations of various objects on the map, this at least gives you an idea of the distribution of objects and it's quite nice to get an idea of the scale of things. Much more useful is the info box in the bottom right which appart from displaying the exact coordinates of the selected object also gives other information. The best example is planets for which it gives you terrain type, weather, economy level, economy type and a few other bits and pieces.
Originally I wasn't even going to bother with a map but thought it would be cool to see how things were layed out. Once I have the detailed map option implemented at some later date I'd like to add various export options so you can produce detailed pritable maps. Below is another screenshot showing the markers for stars switched on.

hszmv
Ensign
Ensign

Post by hszmv »

When can we expect this out?
ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

Originally posted by hszmv
When can we expect this out?
I can't give a definite release date as I'm still working on it but I should have a beta ready soon.
Since my last message I decided to implement a side view after all which is working fine and although for the default universe its a bit pointless (at least until I make the subsector view) it may be useful for future mods as verbosity said. I've also added a a marker which highlights the location of the currently selected item on the map.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Excellent work ruckage....looking forward to the completed version :)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

I've decided to go ahead and implement the sector view as it will be nice to clearly see the position of objects. The way it will work is as follows:

To activate the sector view you can either right click on the map to zoom in on that area. Or the more useful way is to click on the icon at the top of the screen and it will zoom to the sector containing the currently selected object.

The sector view is actually a 9 sector view, it renders the selected sector plus the 8 surrounding it. Basically it renders a chunk of space 3x3x1 sectors. The resulting image is 3000x3000 pixels so should provide plenty of detail. You can choose to view from the top or side.

The icons for switching on markers function differently in this mode, instead of switching off the object it determines whether text information is visible for that object type.

The cursor keys adjust the sectors that are in view.

Finally, you will be able to export the map as a png so that it can be printed.

Another feature I may add is an isometric view which would give a real sense of the 3-dimensional relationships of objects within the selected sectors.

Let me know your opinions.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Sounds awesome!
StarWraith 3D Games
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

Looks like you have a winner Ruckage.....That is going to be awsome to use :)

"The Gods of Evochron are Pleased" ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Eclipse
This should be a big hit with pilots that have multiple monitors.
You could have E:R running on one monitor and the Guide on another.
This one is good...
SantaClaus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SantaClaus »

Anything that will allow me to get around more quickly is greatly appreciated, your efforts will not go unrewarded, I shall have to search hard for a very special gift;)
[SW]SantaClaus perveyer of the finest hints, weapon systems and upgrades in Evochron.
\"BY REQUEST ONLY\"
Every day is no longer a celebration.
ruckage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ruckage »

The closeup view is coming along nicely, below is an actual map rendered by the system. It isn't quite finished yet but it shows the detail of the maps. The image is 3000x3000 so may take a while to load. The system shown is the pearl system with sector 3500, 0, -1800 in the bottom left corner. I'll be adding labels and coordinate data to the map next.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Very nice!
StarWraith 3D Games