Mechwarrior 3 and 4, anyone else play these?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'm curious to know what others think of how Mechwarrior 4 compares with 3. Specifically in the areas of cockpit graphics, mech configuration options, missions, and combat gameplay. Do you think 4 was an advancement in these areas or was 3 closure to the features and design you prefer?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

sorry but IO've only played MW4, imho mercs was better than the other one...................
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Darkreaver1980
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darkreaver1980 »

I liked the feeling and the interface WAY more in Mechwarrior 3...you could "stear" your weapons with an cross that you dragged around with your mouse on the screen i just loved it. It was a little round cross that zoomed right on the part you looked at (sorry i cant explain it better)
Warhammer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Warhammer »

I am an old Battletech fan from the pen and paper days. I thought MW4 was a great advance from MW3 in several areas.

First, I loved the way coolant flush was handled in MW4. You had a few uses, but not a ton of them.

Second, I enjoyed the hardpoint system in MW4. Rather than mechs being weapon bags, you had some idea of what you were facing when you saw a mech. If you saw a Catapult perched on a hill, you knew that you were facing a missile boat. In MW3, the only fundamental difference between two 60 ton mechs was what you saw on the outside. In MW4, two mechs could be the same tonnage, but have a dramatically different feel because of the design of the hardpoints. A Loki and a Catapult both had the same weight, but a Loki would typically have a wider variety of weapons.

Third, I enjoyed the zoom in on MW4 more than MW3, once I got used to it. You weren't completely zoomed in and could see some things around you rather than zooming in the whole screen.

Fourth, the whole mobile repair base concept in MW3 drove me nuts. I didn't like it.

One thing that MW3 did better than MW4 was the jump jet concept. I can't put my finger on it, but jump jets felt better in MW3 than in MW4.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, good points. There wasn't a coolant flush function in MW3? It's been so long since I played MW3. :) Hardpoint categories in MW4 definately added a new element to strategy.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Warhammer

First, I loved the way coolant flush was handled in MW4. You had a few uses, but not a ton of them.
esp when you had a puma with 2 erPPG's :)

One thing that MW3 did better than MW4 was the jump jet concept. I can't put my finger on it, but jump jets felt better in MW3 than in MW4.
yeah first thing I always did was remove jump jets - too heavy, no good for any tactical use, and you couldn't easily 'death from above'
Warhammer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Warhammer »

Originally posted by Vice
Interesting, good points. There wasn't a coolant flush function in MW3? It's been so long since I played MW3. :) Hardpoint categories in MW4 definately added a new element to strategy.
There was, but you got about 10 uses on it. I thought that was way too many.

Jump Jets in MW4 had their uses, but they were specialized and were typically too heavy for the flexibility gained. However, they were great in city battles.
Wolfox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wolfox »

I've never played any MW game, but I have found MW4 on a store yesterday (in a bargain bin, btw). Should I buy it? Is it worth it?
Vote Vice for president of the 12 colonies!
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Wolfox
I've never played any MW game, but I have found MW4 on a store yesterday (in a bargain bin, btw). Should I buy it? Is it worth it?
depends, there are two versions: IMHO

mercenaries rocks !:)
black knight sucks :(

------------------------------------------------------------
on this note, I used to ( years and years ago ) play Battletech, I had a game of it last night with my bro and it was great fun.

For those that don't know battletech is/was the boardgame that the mechwarrior series was based on.

I've heard that most of the sheets required to play the game have gone 'public domain' I'll post a link once I remember it.........
Warhammer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Warhammer »

Originally posted by verbosity
Originally posted by Wolfox
depends, there are two versions: IMHO

mercenaries rocks !:)
black knight sucks :(

------------------------------------------------------------
on this note, I used to ( years and years ago ) play Battletech, I had a game of it last night with my bro and it was great fun.

For those that don't know battletech is/was the boardgame that the mechwarrior series was based on.

I've heard that most of the sheets required to play the game have gone 'public domain' I'll post a link once I remember it.........
3025 era is awesome. Post clans sucks.
Bjornson
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bjornson »

esp when you had a puma with 2 erPPG's :)

True story, with a whole bunch of tinkering I somehow managed to outfit a Puma with 3 ERPPC's. Granted, I knew it would overheat but a properly placed head shot and the fight would be over anyway. Well, I took it out for a test ride. Found a Mech, lined up on it's head, pulled the trigger for full guns and......wound up staring at the sky! Seems the guns were enough to blow my poor little Puma right off it's feet. I returned to the Mech Lab a much humbler, but perhaps wiser person.
Heroes are made, not Bjorn!
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

HeH Mech Modding,

I play Battletech with my Brother about once a month or so, we spend about 4 hours choosing / contructing mechs ( usually using a tonnage limit rather than credits or 'battle value' ). then usually about an hour playing the game..

Last Time we played in the first round of combat my brother attacked one of my awesomes managed to roll a double twelve followed by andother, then rolling for location he rolled 2 doulde 1's. this extraordinary stroke of luck was compounded by the fact the pilot he killed was my best pilot ( pilot skill +2 and targetting +1), and the mech itself was essentially undamaged.

We are planning to do a massive 600 ton battle next time we play, though he'll have two experienced pilots and a 45 ton advantage from my awesome :(
Bjornson
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bjornson »

Wow! And I thought I was the king of bad rolls. I have to admit, I really think I liked outfitting the Mechs more than I liked either of those games. I liked taking them out for a spin and all, but maximizing the firepower within the space allotted somehow appealed to me. However, the one thing I didn't like about the hardpoint scheme was such a silly complaint. It was all perfectly logical and all but Doggone it! If I want four Clan Heavy Gauss on my mech, then I should get them! Oh well, at least I can play around outfitting my Centurion...
Heroes are made, not Bjorn!
Goatnado386
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Goatnado386 »

Mechwarrior 1 & 2 (mercenaries) > *

;)

[Edited on 2-15-2008 by ncc386]