[EL 2.0718] Game crashes on launch Error Surface Size 1920x1080 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Skylee
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0718] Game crashes on launch Error Surface Size 1920x1080 *FIXED*

Post by Skylee »

- Intel I9 9900K
- Windows 11
- 32GB Ram
- Nvidia 2080Ti Driver ver. 552.22

Hello there, I recently reinstalled EL SE after quite few years but I can't play it because a couple of second after launching game from Steam, the screen goes black then suddently back to windows with a dialog saying:
-Error: Surface Size: 1920x1080 in main.agc at line 230-

I can only click OK to close the dialog.

When dialog closes, it goes back to black screen with a message on top:
-Tap/click the screen to exit-

I have this problem either if I launch the game on monitor or VR (I have Quest3 and I would LOVE to play it on VR)

Could you please address me to solve this issue?
Thanks a lot.

Skylee aka Luca
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL-SE Steam Latest release] Game crashes on launch Error Surface Size 1920x1080

Post by Vice »

That usually relates to symptom #4 (Error: Surface Size: #x# in main.agc at line #) on the support page here:

viewtopic.php?t=6595#4

It indicates your system lacks needed Vulkan libraries for your current display device, typically caused by an incomplete driver installation (runtime dependencies for the Nvidia driver installation may be missing from the system). If that is the cause, you’ll simply need to install a complete display driver package with the needed Vulkan libraries and Nvidia installer runtime dependencies (links provided in the post above). You can download this small utility to test for the presence of Vulkan:

[removed]

You can also optionally try just installing the Vulkan runtimes directly. Link available at the support post above.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Skylee
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EL-SE Steam Latest release] Game crashes on launch Error Surface Size 1920x1080

Post by Skylee »

My bad I didn't notice the symptom #4.

Anyway I tried the utility and was ok but the game still wasn't running, then I tried a workaround.
I installed Valheim from steam because I remember it was running on Vulkan as well, so I guess vulkan
runtimes should have been installed. And now Evochron Legacy runs great!
Tonight I'll try the VR experience, I can't wait.

Thanks a lot Vice as always!
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C.Clarke
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting. Valheim must have installed the required runtimes for the version needed or otherwise fixed something. Glad you got it to work and thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games
Skylee
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EL-SE 2.0718] Game crashes on launch Error Surface Size 1920x1080 *FIXED*

Post by Skylee »

Here I am again...
I tried to launch the game from steam choosing SteamVR but i got a dialog with the following message:
"Unable to initialize VR Runtime..."
I searched on the forum but found no answer so far, could you help me please?

I am using Quest3 with USB3 cable link.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur C.Clarke
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That is likely due to the mismatched process name outlined in the post here: viewtopic.php?t=13031

There are two options. A configuration file (VRMode.txt) can be edited to align with whatever language alteration was applied to the process name or the initialization value can be set to 0. Here are more detailed instructions:

For whatever reason(s), the process name for 'SteamVR Status' may be changed to 'Status SteamVR' in some language modes in Windows/Steam. When this happens, it breaks the process link between SteamVR and the game, causing the game to report being unable to initialize the VR runtime. To work around this issue, open the ‘VRMode.txt’ file located inside the game’s install folder in a text editor and change line 2 ('SteamVR Status') to match whatever the process name has been changed to as displayed in task manager (click on the '>' symbol next to 'SteamVR' to open the list of linked processes). It seems most of the time, the name is just flipped, so the value would be 'Status SteamVR'. Once that's done, save the file and restart the game to test for changes.

Another option is you can change the '1' in the first line of the 'VRMode.txt' file to '0' and that should allow the VR mode to initialize regardless of what SteamVR changes the process name to.
StarWraith 3D Games
Skylee
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skylee »

Thanks Vice, now it's working :-)

Arthur C.Clarke