[EL 2.0708] M&K plus pedals plus game controller? (reWASD) *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0708] M&K plus pedals plus game controller? (reWASD) *INFO*

Post by Rangoon »

I thought I had this working a couple of years ago, but I could be misremembering. I finally have a little time to get back into one of my favorites, but am having some trouble getting my controller configuration to work. I'm playing in VR, with M&K, pedals (so far so good), and an Azeron Cyborg using reWASD to output its analog stick as an Xbox 360 controller. Windows sees the Cyborg stick correctly as an Xbox 360 controller, as does Gamepad Tester (website). The analog stick registers fine. In Evochron Legacy settings, both the pedals and the Xbox 360 controller are recognized in the list. I have no trouble assigning and using the pedals, but the Xbox stick inputs aren't recognized on any of that controller's axes (should be 1 and 2). Any idea what I can try to get this working?

Edit: Include Axis Controls is set to On (with flight control set to mouse).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 2.0708] M&K plus pedals plus game controller?

Post by Vice »

Might need a little more information. You say the 'analog stick registers fine', but then also say the stick inputs aren't recognized on any of the axis indicators in the controller menu?

If the axis indicators are not responding at all when the device is selected in the Axis Configuration menu, then there may be a configuration problem with the reWASD program you are using that is altering signals between the game and Windows.

If the axis indicators are responding and controls have been mapped to those axis channels, then the game is likely listening for any other axis inputs applied to controls other than what any mouse flight control mode would be applying for flight control. So if a control like throttle, view, energy bias, IDS scale, etc, is mapped, then it/they should work fine. But if a flight rotation control is mapped to an axis channel and you've selected an active mouse flight control mode, then the game will likely be giving priority to the input being sent from the mouse flight mode since it would override any secondary flight controls when in that mode.

If you want to use the Azeron for flight control, then I'd recommend switching to the Joystick/Controller flight control mode instead. You should also be able to optionally use that device directly without any emulation software in between, unless you prefer the control profile it provides.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

I mean that the analog joystick registers fine in Windows (via Game Controllers -> Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows) -> Properties) and on Gamepad Tester (https://hardwaretester.com/gamepad). However, in EL, despite the fact that XBOX 360 shows up in the controller list (just like my pedals do), none of the axis bars move when I move the stick (the way the pedals move their axis bar). I have pedals set to roll and (from a couple years ago when I thought I had had this working) Axis 1 and Axis 2 set to Horizontal and Vertical Thrusters. I wouldn't think any of those would interfere with mouse flight inputs.

When I get back, I'll look through the key bindings. Are you saying that I should not have any keys bound to those flight inputs?

I will also see if removing reWASD from the equation helps. But I would think that shouldn't matter, since Windows is seeing the stick register correctly as XBOX 360, and EL is seeing the same XBOX 360 controller.

Thanks for the help!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Indeed, if Windows can see the device and react to controls, then the game should also (same DirectInput system). There may just be an issue in mapping or control assignments. You can also download and try this configuration utility:

https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... vanced.zip

It uses the same control input system as the game and provides the raw signal data received from detected devices. It will also create a log file (\Documents\JoystickTestOutput.txt) that will provide every detected device and what each reports back through its associated driver as to how many axis channels and buttons it has. With the utility, you can see what the raw numerical axis signals are that each device sends back in the menu.

You can certainly have keys or buttons mapped to flight inputs. It's only axis channels that may conflict with virtual axis signals sent back through a mouse flight control mode. Keys and buttons can be used in conjunction with mouse flight control modes (with either partial or no conflicts, depending on what you map). Sounds like that may not be the issue anyway though and it relates more to missing axis signal inputs from the axis channels on the device.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

In addition to the above test, here are a few more ideas:

- Some third-party programs utilize a control type and/or game profile system that may automatically enable or disable control functions for certain games. Check to see if there is some kind of default profile being applied that is turning off axis inputs and then try to change the profile and/or enable inputs. See the reWASD support thread here where the same kind of thing occurred in Star Citizen (no axis response involving 360 vs One profiles): https://forum.rewasd.com/forum/rewasd/t ... s-response

- Some third-party programs have an option to hide a physical controller. When such an option is enabled, it may partially disable certain inputs (ie axis channels) while others may still work. Check to see if the program you are using has such an option and either disable it or modify its settings (if available) to allow all inputs to apply without interference.
StarWraith 3D Games
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

I ran the JoystickTest utility and it shows two controllers, just as expected. And just like in EL, the pedals are working fine but the Xbox 360 is not. It does not register any movement in the analog stick. In the log, both controllers are detected and indexed. No errors. I'll dig further into reWASD next, to see if there is something in there that could be causing an issue. I haven't had this problem in any other games, regarding reWASD and the Azeron controller.

EDIT: It's working. I changed reWASD to output as an Xbox One controller rather than an Xbox 360 controller. Now the JoystickTest utility and EL recognize the actual stick movements.
Last edited by Rangoon on Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Did the log file report at least 2 axis channels next to 'Device Axis:'?
StarWraith 3D Games
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

It did. It reported 6 axis channels for the Xbox 360 controller, even though they weren't responding. Strange, right?
Last edited by Rangoon on Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

Oh, and I'm not sure if you saw my edit to my post just before your last reply. Looks like I edited two minutes after you replied, but I hadn't seen that. I got the controls working in EL by changing reWASD to emulate an Xbox One controller rather than an Xbox 360.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, similar to that thread on their support forum then. Glad you got it working.
StarWraith 3D Games
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

Apparently so! I'm on a work contract in a place with spotty internet, so I hadn't actually seen your follow-up post where you link to that reWASD support thread. I just stumbled onto this "Xbox One" solution via trial and error.

But here's another curiosity, after reading that thread: in this situation in Evochron Legacy, the problem and solution are reversed from the one described on the reWASD forum (if I'm reading it correctly). There, the problem occurred in SC with the Xbox One emulation and was solved with an Xbox 360 emulation. In this case, the problem in EL was with reWASD emulating the 360, and solved by emulating the Xbox One controller.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, I wonder what would happen if you switched the profile again back to 360. If it still worked, then perhaps there was some kind of internal profile reset (which was the impression I got from that thread). If not, then perhaps one mode intercepts the axis channels in a way that breaks the link while the other doesn't.
StarWraith 3D Games