SW3DG Mobile Game Projects - Information and Status

Official SW3DG related announcements and news.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

SW3DG Mobile Game Projects - Information and Status

Post by Vice »

This post will provide some information on the history, goals, and status of several mobile game projects I have worked on over the last ten years or so. As of this posting (August 23, 2023), I have been migrating such games to be available via direct download for side loading on Android devices (much like the LinkApp for Evochron Legacy SE). Links to games that have been migrated to free direct download options are listed at the bottom of this post.

History
I've worked on a few small arcade style games and a couple of larger simulation related games for Android mobile devices over the last 10 years or so. They were not intended to replace my desktop games nor become the focus of my work. Instead, they were experimental efforts to 'test the waters' and explore the limits of what could be done on mobile devices. They were to be used primarily as a learning exercise for me. Basically, I wanted to see how far I could push some of the systems and techniques I've used on desktop with mobile devices to gauge what was possible and if there might be any interest in the games I like to make on such a platform. As word got out that I was exploring such options, enough interest was expressed from others that I decided to open them up to public testing. A few also expressed interest in wanting to support my efforts, so I incorporated basic ad support and an (IAP) option to disable the ads for a few dollars for those interested. For a while, the games were in testing and received numerous updates with improvements. However, as later versions of Android OS were released, certain capabilities were removed and new limitations forced by Google that reduced the functionality of the games in ways that required (in my opinion) excessive compromises, unnecessary hoops for the user (and developers) to have to jump through, and/or deletion of important options. Google also changed requirements and conditions for developers to what I felt were unnecessary and/or feature-limiting levels. Things only seemed to get worse as time went on. Together, all of the problems began the process of me reconsidering the development of games for such devices. There were also other considerations, which I'll review next.

Expenses and Time
None of these projects were financially sustainable. Most made $0 a day most of the time. A few made anywhere from 0 to perhaps 25-50 cents on a good day. Rarely any more. As a result, they didn't/wouldn't cover my time or any of the costs associated with software licensing, coding/media creation, ad expenses, webhosting, or anything else for that matter. After I'd poured months of time into such projects and never recovered the costs/losses nor ever will, I decided to no longer invest any more significant time or money into them. The time I now have available for development, if any, will generally be focused on desktop efforts.

Future
In recent months, Google has been making some noise about changing requirements for developers and forcing new conditions/limitations on published apps. Some of these requirements may not be compatible with the development system I use and as such, may impact the few games currently available on Google Play. Google may drop such games at any time as they change their requirements. If/when that may happen or if the games are removed for any other reason, I plan to try and post such games on a website for installation via side-loading using APK's, bypassing any storefront requirements. According to Google, those who previously acquired a game through Google Play should still continue to be able to access the game through their service, if desired. However, the duration of that availability is unknown and entirely up to Google. If I provide some of my games via APK side loading, I'll likely offer them as freeware, so they can be installed without account requirements for ownership validation and without a storefront requirement. As for future updates, I may provide infrequent updates for limited feature additions or bug fixes from time to time. However, I do not intend to reserve any time specifically for their development. They should be considered unsupported and 'as-is'.

Mobile Game Websites and Download Options

Aluxiom - Futuristic two player arcade battle strategy game
https://www.starwraith.com/aluxiom/index.htm

Arvoch Command - Fleet Command Real Time Strategy Space Combat
https://www.starwraith.com/arvochcommand/index.htm

NormanBerry - Fruit Based Puzzle Adventure Game
https://www.starwraith.com/normanberry/index.htm

Sphere Sector - Puzzle Game Based on Energy, Angles, and Physics
https://www.starwraith.com/spheresector/index.htm
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations